fans wired to ignition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fans wired to ignition
Has anybody done this and what wire would i be searching for. Would like fan to come on with turn of key and off when ignition off. No good with wires any help much appreciated. Thanks
Thanks given by:
Not the best idea having them on an ignition live (Cough Ruan) It would be better to have them on a switch so you can flick them on or off whenever you want.

You basically want to use a relay and have a high amp wire off the battery to the relay, and then from the relay to the fans, then from the fans to earth. And also an igintion live to a switch on the dash, then to the relay, then from the relay to earth.

I can draw up a little wiring diagram if it will make it easier to understand Smile
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 05:45 PM)Dan! Wrote: Not the best idea having them on an ignition live (Cough Ruan) It would be better to have them on a switch so you can flick them on or off whenever you want.

You basically want to use a relay and have a high amp wire off the battery to the relay, and then from the relay to the fans, then from the fans to earth. And also an igintion live to a switch on the dash, then to the relay, then from the relay to earth.

I can draw up a little wiring diagram if it will make it easier to understand Smile

orr......we could make things much simpler

The fans are already run off a relay so all you need to do is tap into the wire that activates the relay and job is good

Saying that, having the fans on all the time is not a good idea!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ive only got one 10inch slimeline. Was wired to original loom but stopped so currently on a switch on the dash. Got mot soon and dont want it overheating because they tend to leave um running a while round here before doing emissions or smoke tests
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 05:48 PM)Niall Wrote: orr......we could make things much simpler

The fans are already run off a relay so all you need to do is tap into the wire that activates the relay and job is good

Saying that, having the fans on all the time is not a good idea!

Yeah the reason I explained it that way is because the last 3 306's iv done that on have had the fan wiring butchered and it was just easier to do it from scratch lol
Thanks given by:
Oh and the switch is just speaker cable from battery to a hover switch on dash straight to fan. Then earth from fan to battery. Im useless with electrics so easier the better Smile
Thanks given by:
Does that setup work? Have you ever actually used the fan like that for a long time? Speaker cable isnt very high ampage O.o
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 05:58 PM)R1CH4RD Wrote: Oh and the switch is just speaker cable from battery to a hover switch on dash straight to fan. Then earth from fan to battery. Im useless with electrics so easier the better Smile

That is a fire waiting to happen! Stop using it and do it properly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yea it works. Left it on for 8hours at work once and was fine. Cools quite well just want sumat abit neater and not having to worry about a switch
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 06:07 PM)R1CH4RD Wrote: Yea it works. Left it on for 8hours at work once and was fine. Cools quite well just want sumat abit neater and not having to worry about a switch

Crikey.

Somebody in Maplin has just read this thread and fainted.
Thanks given by:
2 things
Firstly, although that wiring is working ok at the moment, you dont know how hot its getting and when it will melt and short and seeing as how bodged it sounds already, it probably isnt fused!

Secondly, you can over cool a engine so i really wouldnt advise having it on all the time!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Whats the best way to do it. I really need to learn about elecrics as i dont have a clue about um.
Thanks given by:
What model and year 306 do you have?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Phase 1 d turbo on a p reg.
Thanks given by:
Ah i havent got any ph1 wiring diagrams to hand. Sure someone can help soon Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Cheers for help anyways. Ill have to do some research on how to solve it Smile
Thanks given by:
Just wire a relay in to the current circuit with a bit of decent gauge wire so the load isn't being pulled through your speaker wire, job done

no need to get involved in the loom
Thanks given by:
make sure you fuse it for gods sake!
Thanks given by:
May sound stupid but ive never done electrics and never wired up a relay. I wouldnt no where to start. Confused
Thanks given by:
google image search chucked this up, hopefully nice and straight forward to follow

[Image: relay_wiring.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Smile gives me something to work from. Whats best wire to use and also can the earth of the fan go to chassis or battery. Many thanks
Thanks given by:
Have a look on eBay or visit maplin for wire but please as others have said don't use speaker wire as its not rated for that many volts or amps.
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks. Ill have a look
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 06:03 PM)Niall Wrote:
(24-02-2013, 05:58 PM)R1CH4RD Wrote: Oh and the switch is just speaker cable from battery to a hover switch on dash straight to fan. Then earth from fan to battery. Im useless with electrics so easier the better Smile

That is a fire waiting to happen! Stop using it and do it properly.

Have a similar setup with a slimline fan with it's own power supply cables that goes to the battery but with a temperature probe with a relay into the rad so cut's out when the engine is cool.

Have an inline fuse ready to go into the circuit but I'm not using the car at the moment.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink drl lights wired to sidelights help stokesy 23 7,149 31-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  how have people installed and wired their slimline fans? MY95 22 5,034 25-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Sambarker
  Fans...HDi fans... HDi slimline fans... wiring.. toseland 3 1,786 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: cully