Modern cars - why I hate them

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern cars - why I hate them
(20-02-2013, 07:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Playing devils advocate here - but why should we be allowed to fix our cars? You wouldn't go and butcher a gas boiler or rewire your house. Yet its legal for any retard to fix their car and more importantly, things like brakes - surely brakes failing at 70mph on a packed motorway will cause more deaths than one persons house burning down. Confused

Just something to think about anyway. Smile

Bit of an incentive to do it properly or get a professional to do it really then. Seriosuly though, there is a law against doing your own gas or electrical work. There isn't on cars. So they shouldn't make them 'dealer-only'.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 03:13 PM)bingham123456 Wrote: Its not that i dont like/want a new car but i just think someone should make one for the people like us..... That like fixing cars.

Playing devils advocate here - but why should we be allowed to fix our cars? You wouldn't go and butcher a gas boiler or rewire your house. Yet its legal for any retard to fix their car and more importantly, things like brakes - surely brakes failing at 70mph on a packed motorway will cause more deaths than one persons house burning down. Confused

Partly agree. Yes some people dont realise how dangerous their "repairs" can be but it actually has to be a requirement of type approval for people not to have to take their car to a main dealers for certain things. Obviously electrical things, it would be impossible to make them to be worked on by everyone but mechanical wise, everyone can pick up a spanner and fix a car and that is a requirement before a company is allowed to sell a car in the UK
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:41 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 07:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Playing devils advocate here - but why should we be allowed to fix our cars? You wouldn't go and butcher a gas boiler or rewire your house. Yet its legal for any retard to fix their car and more importantly, things like brakes - surely brakes failing at 70mph on a packed motorway will cause more deaths than one persons house burning down. Confused

Bit of an incentive to do it properly or get a professional to do it really then. Seriosuly though, there is a law against doing your own gas or electrical work. There isn't on cars. So they shouldn't make them 'dealer-only'.

But what I'm saying is maybe there should be a law against it....
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But what I'm saying is maybe there should be a law against it....

......And I'm saying there categorically shouldn't..... K pumpkin?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Reasons why I'd keep my 306 over a modern car
1. Runs on vegetable oil
2. My car belongs to me, no fianance company
3. Cheap to fix
4. No computer sh*te
5. Reliable
6. Non of this safety jargon, just me, the car and the road.
7. People actually look at my car when I drive it around! (not the same as every other car on the road)
8. I actually miss the 306 when I haven't been driving it Smile
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But what I'm saying is maybe there should be a law against it....

And systematically push up the cost of motoring over and above what it already is?

The complexity of a modern car already makes them difficult to fix at home, is that really better? Not according to the contributors on this thread.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 10:05 PM)C.A.R. Wrote:

And systematically push up the cost of motoring over and above what it already is?

The complexity of a modern car already makes them difficult to fix at home, is that really better? Not according to the contributors on this thread.

Probably not as much as you think! Yes there is shit loads more computers and electrical systems in modern cars than there was 10 years ago but really, electrical systems dont fail that often.
Agreed, if you own a 62 plate premium car like a jag or high end audi/merc etc which are running fibre optic networks which speak several different languages between control units, it is definitely a dealer issue but for most running issues, any good technician can still diagnose it with the same methods as they would of 10 years ago. End of the day, most sensors are still very very simple. Its just the control units that have become more complex. Problem is people get scared of modern cars which tbh, they normally aint all that hard to fix until the control units fail!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
One of the best cars I had to drive was a 1989 mk2 Astra 1.2, Total pov spec, manual everything(includng the choke lol) and slow as feck, However it was awesome to thrash about, Felt like you were doing 90 whilst going at 30 lol On the other hand I can only really enjoy the coupes power at bigger speeds on the bigger A roads, where if it go's wrong I'm in trouble! Same in my mates stage 2 Focus RS (circa 350bhp) Properly quick but too easy!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 10:20 PM)Pete Wrote: One of the best cars I had to drive was a 1989 mk2 Astra 1.2, Total pov spec, manual everything(includng the choke lol) and slow as feck, However it was awesome to thrash about, Felt like you were doing 90 whilst going at 30 lol On the other hand I can only really enjoy the coupes power at bigger speeds on the bigger A roads, where if it go's wrong I'm in trouble! Same in my mates stage 2 Focus RS (circa 350bhp) Properly quick but too easy!

my 1st rover metro was like that, everything manual. it ran for fun. nippy too and dead easy to fix. only thing was people giving me shit on the road and the insurance been high. 10 years later how the table has turned! now i turn the tables with a nice high powered metro. laugh is it still a piece of cake to work on and still has less sensors. even tho its got the vvc engine in.
Thanks given by:
I agree with literally every point you've made there, Liam. And ozone, I really want to try an elise or something, or just anything small, light, simple and rear-drive to be honest! It'll probably end up being an MX-5.

I can't think of a genuinely good-looking new car either, other than supercars, anything else just looks so f*cking bloated due to pedestrian safety.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Half the reason for all this pedestrian safety nonsence must be because modern cars are so full of distractions that people arnt concentrating as much as they should hence more likely to hit people.

Also to heavy to maneuver out of tricky situations, go drive a well set up mini, itl give you a whole new perspective on what good handling really is Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
i think every one needs to switch back to a nice car of the 90s or a classic.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hate facebook DeeTurbo 5 3,795 23-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Think I hate insurance Matt 26 6,143 18-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Last Post: highwayman306
  Search for the first modern car lolsteve 1 1,078 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam