Jakes MK5 GTI.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jakes MK5 GTI.
(17-02-2013, 09:39 PM)Jake Wrote: Regarding the Dsg, it's not for me, I don't like automatics, regardless of the f1 paddles, it will be fun for a little bit but I'd rather just stick with a proper transmission.

This. Very nice example fella, should see you around nicely.

Have drive quite a few VW's in the last few months for various reasons (Mk5 Golf Gti modded, Mk6 Golf TSi, B5 Passat, new Polo GTi with DSG, Passat CC, Caddy) and i've looked seriously at buying a CC, but I despise the DSG. I find it annoying and it constantly feels like the computer is interfering in first with the hammer down. A friend of mine has just bought a 2012 Golf GT TDi and drove the demo car with DSG and wouldn't touch it, looked for a nice manual instead and bought it for the same reasons - it was quite unintelligent to drive.

These things are hyped up as the next big thing, causing people to rave about them by jumping on the bandwagon, whereas they're actually a load of shit and are causing the death of the manual gearbox for those of us who enjoy driving.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(18-02-2013, 05:08 AM)Stephen Wrote: What power are these standard? I like it actually!

Standard they are 200bhp and 207ftlb torque which is nice at the moment but I will probably get it mapped after a couple of months o having it taking it to about 260hp&torque.

(18-02-2013, 08:13 AM)C2K Wrote:
(17-02-2013, 09:39 PM)Jake Wrote: Regarding the Dsg, it's not for me, I don't like automatics, regardless of the f1 paddles, it will be fun for a little bit but I'd rather just stick with a proper transmission.

This. Very nice example fella, should see you around nicely.

These things are hyped up as the next big thing, causing people to rave about them by jumping on the bandwagon, whereas they're actually a load of shit and are causing the death of the manual gearbox for those of us who enjoy driving.

Totally agree with you! You can tell most people that say it is great don't actually own one! Because if they did they would tell you how shite it is !

Don't get me wrong it's great fun for a day or two but would get very boring very fast day to day driving.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Sick, think you should lower it though!
Thanks given by:
I dont understand how you negotiate traffic or parking with DSG? Seeing as usally you'd slip the clutch a bit so you dont end up reversing at full pelt into bollards (unless you're dum dum)...but with paddles how do you do it?
Thanks given by:
Its just like driving an automatic tom. The throttle is damped around parking speeds so you don't do as you described.

That's the bit I disliked. When I was driving that Polo and I caned it through the first few gears from standstill it just felt like the clutch was slipping, was awful to drive.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2013, 08:31 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Pfft VAG shite....

Big Grin But seriously, looks good Jake, welcome to the world of reliability!

says the man who scrapped his after catastrophic engine failure Tongue
Thanks given by:
But doesnt DSG still use a manual plate clutch? With the auto you can brake to keep spped down and not do any damage with the fluid torque converter, but with a manual gearbox surely youre stuck in 1st and can't brake unless you drop to neutral. I've never driven one so maybe Im just imagining this problem lol. I will say though, I didnt like the auto I had round town, felt like it was gonna stall when you braked to stop then shot off with the lightest touch of the acc pedal, I could see why so many old people have accidents in autos lol. Was nice to cruise in though, its just slow speed that wasnt nice.

(18-02-2013, 06:19 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(17-02-2013, 08:31 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Pfft VAG shite....

Big Grin But seriously, looks good Jake, welcome to the world of reliability!

says the man who scrapped his after catastrophic engine failure Tongue

Erm...broke for parts...and still didnt lose as much on that as I will the estate! lol

Dunno why I listened to people tell me that a 'cheap' pug was the way forward. Never mind, have seen the light now so we wont spam any more of Jakes thread. Smile
Thanks given by:
So washed and SRP today.. Ran out of time for waxing so will have to leave that till the weathers nice again.

[Image: DF4743E0-0904-4C58-AB8C-E7D3EA4F2F3A-608...1f3e20.jpg]
[Image: 5DEF9CFE-9B7D-40E5-B1A0-0F10EFF11BD2-608...1bb2c2.jpg]
[Image: DFEAB17D-4583-449B-A1C7-27C347DE724A-608...6613c5.jpg]
[Image: 0C85790D-D27F-4DB9-BD65-65CBD0627A2F-608...fbb01b.jpg]
[Image: D7D34CB7-473F-4D15-8759-73AFE3CB7178-608...2c4d94.jpg]
[Image: 748718F8-531D-4C2F-864C-7AD2183F6C91-608...a8d144.jpg]

Cleeean Smile
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Love it.

What you doing with the 306 now then?
Thanks given by:
Thanks dude.. It's on my driveway at the moment man.. Not sure if its going to be broken maybe.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Looks nice clean! Shame it wont stay that way for long at this time of year lol.
Thanks given by:
Looking good dude Smile. Remapped yet? Tongue
Thanks given by:
If you manage to leave this standard looking I'll be amazed
Thanks given by:
Lost the way Sad
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
No Mowle, everyone's just upgrading Wink
Thanks given by:
Very very nice mate, Looks epic.

But it's a golf..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
These are sweet cars dude...

But there is no upgrade to a 306 Smile

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
So...I have to ask.... How much do those Alloys weigh?!?!?!?!?!?!?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I hear the distinct sound of Edenoids...

Oooooooooooooowwwwww
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 09:43 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: So...I have to ask.... How much do those Alloys weigh?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have no idea! A lot is guess!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
f*cking lol Curt! Tongue

They look nice but fooling heavy tbh! Bet some td 1.2s or similar would sharpen the handling right up Tongue
Thanks given by:
(18-02-2013, 06:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But doesnt DSG still use a manual plate clutch? With the auto you can brake to keep spped down and not do any damage with the fluid torque converter, but with a manual gearbox surely youre stuck in 1st and can't brake unless you drop to neutral. I've never driven one so maybe Im just imagining this problem lol. I will say though, I didnt like the auto I had round town, felt like it was gonna stall when you braked to stop then shot off with the lightest touch of the acc pedal, I could see why so many old people have accidents in autos lol. Was nice to cruise in though, its just slow speed that wasnt nice.

Sounds like a shit auto then dude, a properly maintained auto from a company who know how to make good autoboxes is a pleasure around town, even the knackered old Calibra I had was nice, could barely feel it change gear unless it was in sport mode or kickdown. Great in traffic too.

I've got nothing against autos, in the right car (ie luxobarges) their great, and obviously manuals are ace, but all this half and half DSG/Tiptronic/Selespeed bollocks is just a bad compromise. They don't give you the control or satisfaction of a manual, and they aren't as smooth and easy as a nice auto...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Mehhhhhh, they're just so dull, sure it's tidy, but it's massive and just yawn. I'm starting to agree with Liam tbh, new cars just don't appeal!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 10:21 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Mehhhhhh, they're just so dull, sure it's tidy, but it's massive and just yawn. I'm starting to agree with Liam tbh, new cars just don't appeal!

Is the complexity I dislike, too much to break, too many driver aids, too heavy, too much power. Yeah, you heard me right!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Color code the bumpers, lower it and give it a nice set of Audi alloys.

Then you'll be made of win imo.
Thanks given by:
DSG may be faster, but I'd rather an extra 60hp to compensate for the time lost changing gear and have the fun of changing gear... That is precisely where modern cars fail, they are too serious about going fast around the Nurburgring to worry about how the car feels... The last car with fun in mind was the 106 GTI... The only thing recently to come out which even remotely says to the driver "It's OK to wiggle me TOTALLY out of shape" is the Toyota GT86...

I do like these, don't get me wrong, however I would definitely try and get the coded rear bumper, but does look like a VERY tidy example, glad to see you went with the manual!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 10:50 PM)Ruan Wrote: DSG may be faster, but I'd rather an extra 60hp to compensate for the time lost changing gear and have the fun of changing gear... That is precisely where modern cars fail, they are too serious about going fast around the Nurburgring to worry about how the car feels... The last car with fun in mind was the 106 GTI... The only thing recently to come out which even remotely says to the driver "It's OK to wiggle me TOTALLY out of shape" is the Toyota GT86...

I do like these, don't get me wrong, however I would definitely try and get the coded rear bumper, but does look like a VERY tidy example, glad to see you went with the manual!

Haha have you watched the Top Gear from week before last yet? Bloody brilliant cars the gt86s! Go look, fap, and try to buy one Tongue
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 10:03 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(18-02-2013, 06:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But doesnt DSG still use a manual plate clutch? With the auto you can brake to keep spped down and not do any damage with the fluid torque converter, but with a manual gearbox surely youre stuck in 1st and can't brake unless you drop to neutral. I've never driven one so maybe Im just imagining this problem lol. I will say though, I didnt like the auto I had round town, felt like it was gonna stall when you braked to stop then shot off with the lightest touch of the acc pedal, I could see why so many old people have accidents in autos lol. Was nice to cruise in though, its just slow speed that wasnt nice.

Sounds like a shit auto then dude, a properly maintained auto from a company who know how to make good autoboxes is a pleasure around town, even the knackered old Calibra I had was nice, could barely feel it change gear unless it was in sport mode or kickdown. Great in traffic too.

I've got nothing against autos, in the right car (ie luxobarges) their great, and obviously manuals are ace, but all this half and half DSG/Tiptronic/Selespeed bollocks is just a bad compromise. They don't give you the control or satisfaction of a manual, and they aren't as smooth and easy as a nice auto...

Well it was a 150k T plate Vectra... lol

But honestly it was horrible, even I could change gear smoother (and for anyone thats had the misfortune to passenger with me, that really is saying something haha!). I don't doubt it was a bit f*cked though. The other thing I didn't like was lack of engine braking - I use engine braking a lot and barely touch the footbrake...but coming up to corners, lifting off and realising the car wasn't gonna slow was new to me! lmao

I can see the use of auto for cruising (but then, why not just use criuse control on a manual) but can really see it round town, prefer a clutch myslef - albeit a nice hydraulic one. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
NEW PICTOOORZ

[Image: golfJPG_zps38729a7a.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7091_zps40ca9158.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7085_zpsd2009948.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7070_zpsd6886272.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7067_zpse87aef96.jpg]
[Image: golfJPG2_zpse62a0bcd.jpg]
[Image: golfJPG3_zps5c6779f1.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7048_zpsd22d3f37.jpg]
[Image: golfJPG5_zps1d3316f6.jpg]
[Image: 20130224-IMG_7040_zpsbbb27c50.jpg]

Check out the photographers Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/ashrefuzed
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Looks lovely mate.

Only thing that bugs me about these is the rear bumper, that huge area of grey plastic! Gone on an R32 where it has a different bumper, looks so much better.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by: