Lightened Flywheel Opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightened Flywheel Opinions
Hi Guys,

Now just a quicky really to see who has done it, now i believe that lightening a flywheel 'Doesn't' Reduce torque after reading many sites on the internet, i had one on my blaze but just with a T2 and Gov modded Bosch, and it was a nippy little fucker TBH, JP came out in it when we had fine tuned the bosch pump.

Ive got a 4 paddle clutch Ash spotted on ebay which i got for a steal at £70 and took the flywheel off blaze engine this weekend ready for fitting.

Just wondering what people think regarding this topic

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've got a lightened fly on my '6 and highly recommend them. The pick-up is way more crisp, and the throttle response is marginally improved as a result of the reduced spinning inertia. It's a worthwhile mod, but it's a Lot of money from Lynx for the billet one as I did!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I noticed a major difference compared to the original, but its an original which has been machined lol can imagine the cost of a lynx one. Should be interesting if i can get it on the dyno to see any difference as not changing anything else till had it dyno'd again and can put up a comparison
Thanks given by:
It'll feel less "torquey" at low RPMs due to the fact there's less inertia, but it'll feel to pick up faster, the revs rise and fall quicker, it juts feels a "happier" engine...

But it does make it easier to stall and also the governor will feel sometimes like it has more of a mind of it's own as it's used to the almost dashpot effect that the heavy flywheel gives.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Well worth it imo...and mine was never a proper expensive billet one, just a stock one with a load of material removed ont he lathe... But made the engine alot more lively / talked to me much better with it.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
What ruan said.

It will fell like a happier engine all round but they are easier to stall, harder to make feel smooth when driving slowly, technically reduce your motorway fuel economy and feel less torquey.

If you can cope with not being able to drive it on the clutch then youll like it.
Thanks given by:
Sweet thanks for replies guys looking forwsrd to having it on and now with a bigger blower, did anyone notice any reduction in lag possibly with the faster engine pickup? Im treating her to a full service too Smile

Yes Darren mines had a fair bit removed too cant remember how much may weight it and compare with the standard one taking off

Im currently looking into more internal mods for my 11mm pump ruan so should be fun with an 11mm and lightened fly and TD04

(05-02-2013, 07:55 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: What ruan said.

It will fell like a happier engine all round but they are easier to stall, harder to make feel smooth when driving slowly, technically reduce your motorway fuel economy and feel less torquey.

If you can cope with not being able to drive it on the clutch then youll like it.

Well ive managed to get a sprung paddle clutch unused from a project for 70quid rather than an unsprung so shall see how we go Smile

The blaze was just a few seconds quicker than my mates focus st170 dyno'd at 185 bhp and quarter mile was 0.5 seconds quicker so hopefully should be a major improvement on the blaze Wink
Thanks given by:
I had a drive in a 205s xud with a lightened flywheel, it was very easy to get revving, but not my cup of tea tbh, I love lowdown torque too much
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
You generate more low down torque at the wheels with a lightweight flywheel, not less.
Thanks given by:
Was waiting for someone to put that as ive read it whilst researching
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 10:32 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: You generate more low down torque at the wheels with a lightweight flywheel, not less.

Because less engine torque is 'lost' spinning up the weight of the fly....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Well just dropped at garage got it up on ramps and cv boots gone along with engine mounts so shes gettin treated lol

Looking forward to taking her for a spin tonight when i get her back Smile
Thanks given by:
Well lightened flywheel has made a big difference, turbo seems to spool up a tad lower in revs only a tad but noticable and revs nice and freely, have to dab on the revs with the paddle as not to stall but is a good mod
Thanks given by: