It's finally happened (NOW FIXED)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's finally happened (NOW FIXED)
Car broke down today.

Sitting at some lights, lights turn green, engine cuts out. I tried restarting it but it didn't want to know, engine just kept turning over but wouldn't fire at first.

I got it started, coughing, spluttering and misfiring as soon as I put load on it cut out again. Managed to get it to the side of the road. I had a look around the engine bay but couldn't see anything a miss so call the RAC out.

While waiting I tried starting it to get some heat in the cabin but the car wouldn't idle and I had to have my foot on the gas to keep the revs around the 1k mark. I turned it off when the RAC called to say he was going to be 20 mins.

The guy arrived and the car started fine went to pull off and it stalled, again. Started it up and gave it more revs to get it going but it didn't like revving over 1500.

The RAC man thought it was a sticky injector but I was thinking it's the FPR. It sounded horrible when running.

The RAC guy asked if I wanted him to tow it or if I'd be ok to limp it home and I really for some strange reason didn't want it towed so I struggled to get it home. One stage I was going a long at 50 and when I gave it more gas there would be a pop and puff of black smoke out the back. There wasn't loads just a little. It cut out a few times on the way back, but I kept restarting it on the fly.

I lost the RAC man at some lights as he was following me back in case it did need it towing. I got home and plugged in PP as I read the codes the RAC man came round the corner. He was surprised to see what I was using. Well it came back low fuel pressure. The rail pressure was 400bar below what the ECU was asking.

I tried starting it again when the car was cold and it sounded awful, idled ok but there was loads of piston slap noise. It sounded like and old derv on a cold morning.

I'm going to try changing the FPR in the morning as I have one on a spare pump.

Is there anything else you guys can think it could be? When it first cut out I thought in might of been the low pressure pump as I could hardly hear it prime.
Thanks given by:
fuel filter, easy cheap and probs neds doing anyway
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I was thinking of changing that at the same time. It was changed last summer and I've not done loads of miles since but it'll be a good idea to change it. I might see what the gause bag on the low pressure pump is like and test the flow on that pump also.
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 11:54 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Yeah, I was thinking of changing that at the same time. It was changed last summer and I've not done loads of miles since but it'll be a good idea to change it. I might see what the gause bag on the low pressure pump is like and test the flow on that pump also.

Blocked cat, it has happened me a good few times, symptoms anywhere fro not starting to no power etc.

Try your fuel filter first and then either bust your cat out or disconnect downpipe
Thanks given by:
Sounds exactly like the collapsed hydraulic lifters issues jonny109575774971594139417199399295974 is having and a few others have had
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 10:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sounds exactly like the collapsed hydraulic lifters issues jonny109575774971594139417199399295974 is having and a few others have had

Yeah it does TBH.. What power are you running?

And can you get a video of it running (and cutting out) with the inlet elbow off?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
You know what, when I saw your video I thought that is exactly how mine sounded. I did a video when I was sat waiting but in the video all you can hear is the hazards relay clicking lol.

It's just started snowing here, I'll go out after some lunch.

The car is standard a part from the decat and EGR system removed.
Thanks given by:
Interesting...

Is it your car that's done about 300k?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah it sure is. The last time it broke down was when the low pressure pump failed six years and around 155k miles ago.
Thanks given by:
Haha that's pretty impressive, these things do seem to love the high mileage.

On the upside, it turns out a new set of lifters wouldn't be that expensive...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-CITROE...20bf31632a

Dread to think what Peugeot would want for them, and this guy's got pretty impressive feedback.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That's good a good price, just check servicebox part number 94253 £24.36.

Not the best video but I thought I'd put it up.

tick tock tick tock lol
Thanks given by:
Well it's now fixed.

It was a dodgy repair on the cables coming from the pressure sensor on the the rail. The ham fisted Neanderthal private Pyle looking idiot that did my cambelt and water pump basically broke a wire, did the worlds shitest repair on one of the wires and left on of the others hanging on by what looked like a single strand of copper.

When I started it this morning it must of been in Limp mode and ignoring the dodgy data from the pressure sensor as it would only rev to 2.5k and idled okish with the world loudest piston slap going on, sounded like a 1950's diesel tractor on a frosty morning.
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMG_20130209_144955_zpsbbdf1353.jpg]

Not the best pic but you can see the shit repair, one damaged wire and there's one wire completely come away.

[Image: IMG_20130209_144631_zps7a778d57.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20130209_140830_zps6d84ae4a.jpg]

The loose wire must of been shorting to earth and causing my misfire and engine to cut out.

[Image: IMG_20130209_140909_zpsd8d3a7ea.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's a quality bodge right there haha, at least it was an easy fix. Cheers for updating with your fix and all. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 10:38 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(09-02-2013, 10:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sounds exactly like the collapsed hydraulic lifters issues jonny109575774971594139417199399295974 is having and a few others have had

Yeah it does TBH.. What power are you running?

And can you get a video of it running (and cutting out) with the inlet elbow off?

I don't suppose you happen to have a link to the thread / video please?
I'm having similar issues.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats happened to Whippy? dr_jekyll 6 1,614 24-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  WTF Happened? (Non 306) Toms306 8 2,640 14-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Last Post: colin247
  What happened??? Icywalts 7 2,292 23-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Toms306