Would this be the relay, or the stalk?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this be the relay, or the stalk?
Haven't embedded this due to being on tapafail, so if anyone could do it for me, that'd be grand! lol

Basically, the new *correct* electronic indicator relay arrived yesterday, and the indicators now flash at the right speed. However, 75% of the time, the relay continues to click, sometimes just as if the indicators are still on, sometimes in a more demented manner. I refer you to the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9l_6MZc...ata_player

Now would this be the stalk causing this issue, as it did it occasionally on the old relay, but I did wonder if it might be the new relay as well, I just don't know now. Huh

Please help! It's driving me crazy!
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It looks like a iffy stalk,

mine was doing the same, ifound a guide on the net and took it apart and sorted
it, abit of a fiddly job tho,
Thanks given by:
Stalk, from the description only. Have no speakers on work computer so no point in watching the video!

I had it on mine in the past, bought a new Valeo stalk in the end reasonably cheap, since they are the same on 106s / 206s...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Ahh, that's handy, not just a case of replacing the stalk then, with the risk of getting one that's just as dodgy! lol

Any idea where it was you found the guide? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 03:38 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Ahh, that's handy, not just a case of replacing the stalk then, with the risk of getting one that's just as dodgy! lol

Any idea where it was you found the guide? Big Grin

sent you a pm
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the PM lozz, do you recall roghly how much the new stalk was CAR?
Thanks given by:
Back when I replaced mine they were around £23-28 brand new. Now looks as though they're more like £48! Sad
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Oh. Well in that case I will definately give the guide lozz pm'd me a go before anything else! lol
Thanks given by:
Well, would you adam and fecking eve it?! The guide that lozz PM'd to me worked a treat, and took me no more than about half an hour to complete. Result.

Cheers mate! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Post the guide up, it may be useful for others in future....
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
got a video of the LED rear indicators then? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Take it apart and clean the grease from around the pin and the runner ( all become clear when apart ) the pins gets worn and all the little metal bits get stuck where they shouldn't. Claen it up and small bit of valsine good as new. half hours work and most.

you just did that, MUST READ FULL THREAD.
Thanks given by:
What threads this a my indictors make the sound like they are working but they don't flash Sad
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
[Image: holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg]

His indicators work but when he turns them off then the relay continues to click!
Thanks given by:
Mine do sometimes, it's the stalk so I need to refurb the stalk, hence I'd like the thread lol

I'm sat in the car doing it now lol

Thanks given by:
Hopes comes out right as copy and pasted. For the pics the link is here (http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...hp?t=58531) but it's simple and the pics don't really help Smile. It fixes my stalk and I had an issue with the stalk not connecting properly so sometimes the indicator didn't work on either side.

Hi All,

I have been getting annoyed with my indicator ticking randomly for a while so I decided to fix it. I've taken some pics and thought others with the problem would like to sort thiers out too.

I thought it was a relay initially but after reading here that a relay swap didnt fix the problem and that stripping and cleaining the indicator stalk fixed the issue I tried it and have tested it for about an hour and all appears to be OK now.

What you'll need:
* A Torx T15 Screwdriver
* A Torx T10 Screwdriver
* A small flat head screwdriver (or something pointy)
* Some isopropanol alcohol spray (or other electrical cleaner)
* A lint-free cloth
* A beer

Open the beer and drink some.
There are 3 Torx T15 screws under the steering wheel shroud, so unscrew them and take off the shroud. There is a wire inside leading to the stereo control stalk so be carefull when you take off the shroud.

Once you have the shroud off, you'll need to turn the steering wheel to the left and remove the two T10 screws holding the stalk on...

Unplug the two connectors and you can then remove the indicator stalk. You'll be left with something like this:

push your flat screwdriver into the clips on the connector side (don't do the other side, i think it'll pull the spring apart - that wouldn't be good!!!) Once you have done the clips the connector should come out easily, be carefull not to pull any of the wires off.

The Clips on one side:

Once you pull it apart, you'll be left with something like this:

Clean all of the metal contacts by spraying your spray onto the cloth then wiping to remove any dirt or corrosion. Be carefull not to wipe any greased spots or spray directly onto the board as the grease is there for a reason!

Admire your work, have a bit more beer and put it back together. It should clip together easy.

Once you have put it back together, i sprayed a bit of alcohol spray into the connnector and the male end on the car for good measure. If you do this make sure you leave it a few minutes to dry before reconnecting.

Once you have reconnected and screwed the stalk back in, re-fit the shroud. The back screw is tricky and took me ages to do!

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks given by:
Thanks, but i was linked to a guide on the GTI forum, worked a treat, problems solved.
Thanks given by: