White smoke on start up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White smoke on start up
Hi all, my DT has just started white smoking alot!
I start the car and it puffs white smoke for a few minutes, once it gets to around 70degrees it stops pooring out and bearly does it, but if i rev it, it chucks a cloud of white smoke out again just on the revs, an stops as it goes to idle.
Iirc white smoke is something about the cooling system?
Any checks i could do?
Ive checked the rad etc, all seems normal, heaters are blowing hot air and theres no leaks from what i can see.
Just really worried on why all of a sudden its smokin mega bad.
Can get pics/vid if need be.
Thanks for any help people!
Mike
Thanks given by:
Bump on this please Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Search for bosch ve manual and youl finf diesel can smoke differen colours deoendant on what temperature it burns

But in this case itll be a glow plug or maybe like mine a sticking injector and smokes for a good while until warm

Been covered a thousand times guys
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I sorted mine out by advancin the pump, didnt smoke at all after that, only problem was it had a heavy diesel knock :/
Thanks given by:
I searched; the VE guide and couldn't find anything on smoke or advance/retarding pumps; couldn't fin much so bumped and old thread up ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
I copied and pasted it into a thread some while ago derv can burn different colours i read it in the manual

Advancing can stop it i suppose if its timing related, but im warey of running too much static sdvance but have been told could run it fully advanced on stock slots,

Mines injector related just need to borrow a set of bosch injectors so can send mine off for refurb then return them

As can hear one injector knocking sometimes it doesnt knock and doesnt smoke but usually fine when warm can feel difference when its sticking

Dont know what manual u got but this is what ive just found

Diesel-engine exhaust emissions A variety of different combustion deposits are formed when diesel fuel is burnt. These reaction products are dependent upon engine design, engine power output, and working load. The complete combustion of the fuel leads to major reductions in the formation of toxic substances. Complete combustion is supported by the careful matching of the air-fuel mixture, absolute precision in the injection process, and optimum air-fuel mixture turbulence. In the first place, water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) are generated. And in relatively low concentrations, the following substances are also produced:–Carbon monoxide (CO),–Unburnt hydrocarbons (HC),–Nitrogen oxides (NOX),–Sulphur dioxide (SO2) and sulphuric acid (H2SO4), as well as–Soot particles. When the engine is cold, the exhaust-gas constituents which are immediately noticeable are the non-oxidized or only partly oxidized hydrocarbons which are directly visible in the form of white or blue smoke, and the strongly smelling aldehydes

Mainly last two lines!
Thanks given by:
I see - i got a rag over the end to smell what was residing from the exhaust; and it smells very chemically, i tried retarding the pump, and still, exactly same amount of white puff.

Going to try the injectors. I dont think the timing is out, as it runs ok, just very rough.
Thanks given by:
Dont worry bout it see what its like after a goood run ul find its only on startup pal
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2013, 05:19 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Dont worry bout it see what its like after a goood run ul find its only on startup pal

this is what i thought; drove it last night and it cleared after 10-15minutes of driving.

This morning, i drove it for about 5 mins, turned off, went back after 10 mins, drove for another 10 mins and it's continuing to poorly put any power/fuel down and bellowing out white smoke. I'll grab the video after dinner ThumbsUp the video was after 15 minutes of driving/ticking over
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xud9 White smoke and primer wont stay hard Donny165 5 2,577 13-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke.. toseland 8 3,974 17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: madmadmax
  White Smoke - New Engine? silverzx 29 7,295 20-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Last Post: devils_fuel