Richies Project Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richies Project Rallye
Hello all!
I have dreamt of owning one of these for many many years, it is by far my favourite car and the only one i want!
Soooo.... i bought myself one!
£1400 she cost me, Big Grin 93k on the clock and she needed saving!

[Image: IMG_0588.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0589.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0590.jpg]

OK, now eagle eyed ones of you will notice that there are some stickers that do not belong on the Rallye....

So bring on the first part of the project :p

Early the next morning after buying her i got up, removed the incorrect stickers and gave her a bath.
[Image: IMG_0591.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0592.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0593.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0594.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0595.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0596.jpg]

I sat down and created a list of things that needed addressing. Many of which have since been completed.
Engine Bay:
- Take engine out and remove rust followed by treatment and respray of bay.
- Clean up and spray Engine removing corrosion
- Service and replace Cambelt
- Move Air Induction kit

Interior:
- Repair/Replace Radio head unit
- Sew Drivers seat up
- Move Amp and tidy up wiring
- Fix interior light

Exterior:
- Replace droplinks
- Find and sort exhaust leak
- Refurb Cyclones
- Remove rear Wiper
- Fix Trolley dent on N/s Door
- Push out dent on O/s door
- Damage on N/s Mirror
- Clean and paint 2 minor rust spots on Bonnet
- Replace morrettes with Crystals
- Replace Fog lights with Rallye Blanks
- T-cut 16v marks left on rear Quarter panels.
- Fit and paint new grill

Some more Photo Whorage for you all!

Corey my son helping out (eventually had to take some of the tools off of him after he tried hammering in my Passenger door lock Wink
[Image: IMG_0598.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0599.jpg]
Then kindly placing all the tools from the floor onto my engine
[Image: IMG_0600.jpg]
The wheels had to take a beating before they came off of the hubs!!! :o
[Image: IMG_0601.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0602.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0603.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0604.jpg]
So much rust!!!
[Image: IMG_0605.jpg]

I had to remove the engine which turned out to be a long old process, i had to angle grind through the Ball joint and a couple of other Bolts.
[Image: IMG_0623.jpg]
I also had to wire brush the rust off of my chassis minimising the corrosion that had occurred
[Image: IMG_0624.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0626.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0625.jpg]

Gained some more things to add to my shopping list
Droplinks
Ball joints
Driveshafts.
x1 Cyclone to use as a spare.

Well after a day of working on the shell, i finally cleaned up 80% of the rust and sprayed it black to protect it.
Some more pic Whorage Big Grin

The Chassis before the work done
[Image: IMG_0627.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0628.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0629.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0630.jpg]

After a majority of the work
[Image: IMG_0631.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0632.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0633.jpg]

The bits that still need wire brushing down Wink
[Image: IMG_0634.jpg]

I have some photos of it all cleaned up...
[Image: IMG_0643.jpg]

And painted
[Image: IMG_0646.jpg]
I also did the Hubs today, cleaned all the rust up and hammerite'd them!
[Image: IMG_0645.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0644.jpg]

The suspension struts will be changed at some point so i left them for that reason.
I undersealed the wheel arches and bottom of the engine bay to give extra protection against rust. I don't think there is anywhere on the front of the car now that has rust on it lol!

I found minimal rust under the engine mount which is amazing considering the state of the engine bay itself!!!! A wire brushing down followed by a hammeriting and the mount is like new!

Fitted new droplinks and balljoints, also cleaned up the wiring tying it away neatly.

Then moved onto working on the engine, which is in S**t state, after cutting myself twice with undoing the bolts. I snapped the bolt holding the tensioner onto the mounting bracket.
[Image: IMG_0652.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0651.jpg]

Also the Power steering pump is being held up by one bloody bolt that keeps slipping! Driving me up the wall to be honest!!
So i need to somehow remove it without getting the angle grinder out, and sort out that snapped bolt in the mount.

Managed to get the bolts in the end from a place in Portsmouth Smile

A day or so later i worked on the engine to clean up all the rust and dirt that presented itself.
Had a few delays waiting for parts, i had the replace the PAS Pump after angle grinding through it to remove a seized bolt.

Here is a photo of the engine almost ready to go back into the bay.
[Image: 546040_10151008927591237_28455539_n.jpg]
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Looks like some good work! What is the black paint? Hammerite?

This is exactly what I want to do to a gti6 or a rallye when i have a place of my own and a decent job!
Thanks given by:
Aweosme project! What a bargain as well! keep it clean! Big Grin
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
After rebuilding the engine i put it back in the engine bay.

[Image: IMG_0715.jpg]

After all was put back together, i turned her over; Crapped myself when she wouldn't register anything on the dash and more so when she tapped to high heaven!
I turned her off and back on again, thankfully the dash had registered - must have somehow reconfigured herself completely.
After letting her get to temperature and bleeding the cooling system, she pumped out hot air, ran sweet as a nut and the tapping died down to the normal tick over.

The only annoying thing i am struggling with now is the bloody balljoint on the passenger side, i managed to drop a litre of Gearbox oil when the driveshaft popped out of place when moving the hub. And not content with that, i knocked over my only full bottle of G/B oil and then i had to buy some more.
Working by yourself on putting the balljoint into the hub is bloody difficult!!

Had a problem with the Passenger driveshaft, split the boot again and had to fit a new one. However the C shaped pin that holds the head on snapped.
Finding another one proved difficult and Peugeot would only sell one with a new kit at the fun price of £38!
So i had an ingenious idea of turning a Keyring into the new C shaped clip - which worked!! and now it's all back together .

Next bit that follows is putting a new track rod on the passenger side, cleaning up and spraying the callipers. Fitting the brake discs and pads.

The slam panel needs painting, but that will be done in time Also Front bumper needs replacing because of damage i found.

I finally got the car off of the Axle stands Big Grin

After fitting a jubilee clip to the CV Boot to secure it, i then fitted both brakes (freshly painted):

[Image: IMG_0750_zpse38fe211.jpg]

And fitted some new Badges (from Custom Decals - Thank you very much buddy!)
[Image: IMG_0748_zps8416f473.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0749_zps5b223212.jpg]

After a quick move around on the drive, i gave her a bath to remove all the dirt and grime off of her i caused!
[Image: IMG_0752_zps93dc5c49.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0753_zps70543fad.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0754_zps7a6abec5.jpg]

Got these off of Jo3HDi :p
[Image: IMG_0756_zps76fdbd57.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0757_zpse7546617.jpg]

Not telling price of them, all i can say is at mates rates Wink

It took a while for me to get out and work on the car again; mainly due to waiting for some parts to come through and also the time and motivation to do it!

So lets start with what goodies came through the post:
[Image: IMG_0774.jpg]

Yup, you guessed it, Rich's old strut brace from the poor beaten up 6'
2 hockey sticks in good condition thanks to Ash from the Club306 forum
and the two paint cans, well.... i picked them up Friday after getting some paint mixed (look below for the finished article).

On Friday i fitted the Hockey sticks
[Image: IMG_0776.jpg]

And Saturday pushed onto the wheels.
I've only done the one wheel for now, as the garage was closing when i chose to get the tyre pushed down.
Started with this:
[Image: IMG_0772.jpg]
Then the progression as shown:
[Image: IMG_0775.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0777.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0779.jpg]

Just so you get the idea of what the proper colour is, it's a red pearl mixed in with the black to give it this effect when in sunlight:
[Image: IMG_0782.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0780.jpg]

Soooo after Lacquering it up and s**tting myself when this happened :cry :
[Image: IMG_0781.jpg]
Thankfully disappears after a minute or two Big Grin

I got bored in the end, and hungry... so i thought i'd stop indoors for lunch and a brew
[Image: IMG_0785.jpg]

My next task was to tackle rich's strut brace, now the paint was flaking quite badly from being on his Bianca, so i gave it a strip down Wink and spray of paint..

[Image: IMG_0786.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0790.jpg]

Because i had to let that dry i thought i'd clean the car and give the paintwork a spruce up.
...... Which then turned into T-cutting because i scratched the entire bodywork in the process
[Image: IMG_0787.jpg]
I hope you can see the scratches in that photo :blink
[Image: IMG_0789.jpg]
I've had to 3000 grit sand the paint back to remove the scratches i created. and it's slowly started coming up.
However work had to stop as i wanted to bake the strut brace, and the only way to do that???

Yup... you guessed it.
[Image: IMG_0791.jpg]
What a better way to bake the paint on fully than to bolt it on to the car (carefully) and then turn the engine over into a sweet purr
[Image: IMG_0792.jpg]

That was pretty much it for that day... I had to wait for someone to drop off his Buffer machine so that it can remove the scratches better and with heat.
Then the bonnet should be shining like its meant to!

Things went a little crap one week as when buffing the car up:
[Image: IMG_0793.jpg]

Yes, this person will be more careful next time!
Ordered another sticker and the bonnet is now 98% Scratch free! Amazing how many stone chips i have though Sad
[Image: IMG_0818.jpg]

I worked on the other cyclones, but had to do one at a time as the preparation i did was so shocking, the primer cracked! :O

It was about a week before i did any more work on her.

Waxed and polished
Exhaust rattle from the heat shield fixed and stopped.
Cleaned interior
Cyclones couldn't be finished as the weather got far too cold before i could finish them up. I'm going to have to try again later this year.

Here is some more photos - I ended up repainting the Strut brace black:
[Image: IMG_0847_zps1e08fb5b.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0846_zps84ef7a15.jpg]

I had the right amount of time off to work on the car, so i cracked on with the undersealing that has been begging me to do it!

Start with car on ramps
[Image: IMG_0928_zps1f8522a2.jpg]

Followed by a brief insight to how much needs to be done:
[Image: IMG_0929_zps077961b7.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0930_zps4b30936d.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0931_zps4eaf2774.jpg]

I think they've rusted somewhat.
[Image: IMG_0932_zps640e14aa.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0933_zps2e481a26.jpg]
Question. Can i avoid putting the above heat shields back into place and be left with the one you see still sitting on the chassis?

After peeling back some more rubber coating, i found this Wink :
[Image: IMG_0935_zpsb537f8da.jpg]
Which eventually turned into this :o :
[Image: IMG_0937_zps587a954c.jpg]

Gaaah More rust!!! Just a little more severe this time.

Don't you ever get that moment when you wish you hadn't poked anymore with the screwdriver and found more holes??
Looks like this might need welding at some point!!
[Image: IMG_0938_zps702f09f5.jpg]
Rust treatment doing its work:
[Image: IMG_0940_zps24a68f5a.jpg]

I'm gonna have to wait a little while before i get it welded, might pay Daveyboy a visit in Southampton one weekend to get it sorted.
I will be keeping the car for as long as i can afford it, so it will need to be done.
This is a more temporary fix in order to preserve it a little longer until i can afford to get it cut out and welded.
[Image: IMG_0941_zpsb1bc0c4e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0942_zpsacc9af59.jpg]

Cleaned up the rear end, however i need to take off the Rear beam at some point due to rust on the mounts. Also enables me to completely respray the entire underneath. Probably will take down the Fuel tank as well.
[Image: IMG_0943_zps0aef5126.jpg]

Ended up spending more money... Sad

Found myself tempted by some mint condition Crystal headlights for £36 from a scrapyard.
I wanted to black mask them, so i did Wink
[Image: IMG_0953_zpseceb3f58.jpg]
Same colour as my Cyclones will be going
[Image: IMG_0954_zps8bfc201a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0955_zps2d1c0b7c.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0956_zpse7f37c63.jpg]

Photo of the old headlights with standard bulbs
[Image: IMG_0957_zps681caa90.jpg]
Can tell the difference with the new Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, much better clearer headlights!!
[Image: IMG_0958_zps7a41660e.jpg]
Will get a better photo of the Black masked headlights tomorrow.

Not bad for a second time of doing this to headlights huh?

Just waiting on the cyclones being painted and put on the car now. Smile
Used Autoglym products to clean and bring her up to a shine!
I also painted the Peugeot badge whilst i had the paint out from the previous night! Big Grin
What do you think?
[Image: IMG_0960_zps5b72e9ff.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0961_zpsbec8bb00.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0962_zps570407ac.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0963_zps029faf2d.jpg]

If anyone needs a set of Black masks doing, PM me with your interest and depending on the interest i will pop a thread up dedicated to doing these headlights.

Whilst the car has been sitting there, the cold ruined the Battery, so i had to buy myself a new battery for her this week. A Bosch S4 Cold start battery.

Managed to get £20 off bringing the price down to £63 (roughly) from Euros!

(03-02-2013, 09:37 PM)SRowell Wrote: Looks like some good work! What is the black paint? Hammerite?

This is exactly what I want to do to a gti6 or a rallye when i have a place of my own and a decent job!

Thanks, the Black paint is something i got privately mixed up. Smile I need to get more sometime soon to complete the work on the other Cyclones
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Nice to meet you tonight mate!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Great project thread matey Smile good to see another black wallye saved!

You should defs come along to the summer meets when they get organised, I'd love to see this in the metal! Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I'm still awaiting my licence back, so when she is on the road then you'll be seeing me a lot more in the flesh.

She needed a lot of love and attention so i am prepared to give it to her.

Nice to meet you too Tall Guy. Will give you a PM when i find out how much i need to spend on the kit again for Black masking the headlights. Get thinking on any different colours you'd like them to be.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
So, went to a modified meet yesterday evening with Jo3 HDi and his Clio Smile
Got a good chance to take some photos of the Rallye on the road!

We'll start with the photo of her in front of which i can only describe as the french theme here lol!
[Image: IMG_1175_zps6f68bfe5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1174_zps58007e91.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1177_zpsded186ab.jpg]

I'll put the rest in show and shine i think Smile
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
love the attention to detail in this thread
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Great looking Rallye, and a lot of work put into it... I take my hat off sir!! Smile
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 11:25 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: love the attention to detail in this thread
Thank you Smile
(25-03-2013, 07:36 AM)Alee83 Wrote: Great looking Rallye, and a lot of work put into it... I take my hat off sir!! Smile

I just love the way the paint reflects in the photos Big Grin It's so nice having a clean car and drive something with a big poke!

I unfortunately turned a corner off of a gradient a bit too fast last night and snapped a droplink on the passenger side. So now need a new one lol, crappy ECP ones if you ask me.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Looks really smart dude Smile I might have a scorpion exhaust forsale soon if your interested
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks sick, gives me inspiration to go sort mine ASAP
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2013, 09:13 AM)sam Wrote: Looks really smart dude Smile I might have a scorpion exhaust forsale soon if your interested

Lol, erm i'm after a reasonably quiet aftermarket exhaust at some point, not just yet though. Money situation is a little bit low.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
So, been a busy weekend what with changing a Gearbox on a Rover and also paying Colin at Pug performance a visit; All whilst having my son for the Easter Weekend.

I had only intended to go up to PP to gain a second opinion on what to do about my engine mount, but ended up buying some goodies (as you do Wink )

Got myself a Magnex Exhaust and a new Slam panel for a tidy sum! Smile
I fitted it whilst i was there and she sounds brilliant now, thankfully not too loud but enough to give a nice grunt when putting the power down. I will be fitting the new Slam panel when it has been cleaned up and painted i think.
No pictures for this one i'm sorry.

I also made a visit to Brighton for a meet which turned out to be a bit crap, smiles all round however when i took the car for a blast through the A27 tunnel, and a massive grin when this photo was taken:
[Image: 579665_175724382580868_368192513_n_zps669bdb3c.jpg]

Makes me feel mighty proud owning a Rallye!
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
very tidy work Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The Brighton tunnel awsome got to do it twice this year.Also found some good tunnel sections in Birmingham city center on Thursday Smile

I've now got black masks aswell, looks spot on.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Rallye's and black masks FTW. It is very tidy, I would be proud too! Smile

Need a bigger back box for mine, doesn't shout enough...!
Thanks given by:
Thanks all Smile she's getting there slowly, I need to sort out the engine movement so i need a 10mm plate welded in behind the Buffers at some point soon.
Also working on my Cyclones atm to get them ready soonish!! I want them on the car so that it will grip better (Suited and booted in Toyo Proxies).

Need to get hold of a Black ph3 bumper and N/s wing at some point, bad paint on these and also bumper is broken Sad
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Is that the engine mount I commented on when I was down yours a few months ago?
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 10:07 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Is that the engine mount I commented on when I was down yours a few months ago?

I cannot remember hence why i took it to Colin lol, if so then yes! Big Grin
Exhaust kept coming loose due to the movement
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Right, I thought i'd paint my badge as i needed to break up the black bodywork at the front.

And here it is!! [Image: IMG_1201_zps87cd89c6.jpg]

I know it doesn't look it, but it is actually Red. Big Grin
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
You that is pink so badly. Did you get the whole badge apart?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 10:21 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: You that is pink so badly. Did you get the whole badge apart?

It's a light Red, to match the Tow eye and Callipers.

I got the entire badge apart and glued it back on.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
(31-03-2013, 11:22 PM)Rich306 Wrote: So, been a busy weekend what with changing a Gearbox on a Rover and also paying Colin at Pug performance a visit; All whilst having my son for the Easter Weekend.

I had only intended to go up to PP to gain a second opinion on what to do about my engine mount, but ended up buying some goodies (as you do Wink )

Got myself a Magnex Exhaust and a new Slam panel for a tidy sum! Smile
I fitted it whilst i was there and she sounds brilliant now, thankfully not too loud but enough to give a nice grunt when putting the power down. I will be fitting the new Slam panel when it has been cleaned up and painted i think.
No pictures for this one i'm sorry.

I also made a visit to Brighton for a meet which turned out to be a bit crap, smiles all round however when i took the car for a blast through the A27 tunnel, and a massive grin when this photo was taken:
[Image: 579665_175724382580868_368192513_n_zps669bdb3c.jpg]

Makes me feel mighty proud owning a Rallye!

Looking really really nice here!
Thanks given by:
^^ Glad you like her :p She certainly smiles in this Photo!
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Badge looks much better! As you say, stands out from the black... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
And here we are! Looks miles better Big Grin
[Image: IMG_1205_zpse0771675.jpg]

Alee88 - seems like you and i have a theme going on here hahaha! You got Red and Yellow, i have Red and Black
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
That's better looks much better in normal light and not as pink.
Thanks given by:
Defo looks better Red!! What's next on your list?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 rallye trackday project twangy 383 179,036 19-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,522 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Matts rallye project. operation derust Matt 630 270,306 23-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Frosty