Not going above 2k RPM

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not going above 2k RPM
1.8, think everyone here knows my car.
Fitted the GTI inlet fanny mould yesterday and its been running fine. Done about 40-50 miles in it and then on the way home it doesnt want to go above 2k rpm. It reaches 2k then bounces, almost as if ive fitted a rev limiter and set it to 2k.
Also the induction cone will occasionally make a loud pop when this is happening? Any ideas?

Thanks
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Sounds like limp mode!? Any dash lights on?
Thanks given by:
None at all. Thats what i thought at first. Dont think it would bounce like this in limpo mode though?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I never got the 1.8 to limp mode, but I did the 1.4 and that didn't bounce like a limiter so you're probably right.

Not sure why it would bounce tbh, unless the electronic limiter has been changed somehow, was it mapped after the mani change or anything?
Thanks given by:
No remap after the change no. Like i said it was good as gold for aout 40 miles then just threw a wobbly. I want to know what could be causing the popping from the cone filter.... Bit concerning

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:No remap after the change no. Like i said it was good as gold for aout 40 miles then just threw a wobbly. I want to know what could be causing the popping from the cone filter.... Bit concerning

Hmm, not sure then tbh. Theres nothing actually in the filter that could cause the popping....so it's gotta be intake somewhere...maybe throttle butterfly getting stuck somewhere?
Thanks given by:
Still wouldnt cause it to bounce if its stuck. Its like something is cutting either the fuel, or the spark as it reaches a certain rev band...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Something like the MAF broken can make it real slow with no dash lights, but still not bounce afaik.....maybe try unplugging maf and running it to see?

Edit - Thinking about it, can't be spark cut as it'd smoke like hell with the unburt fuel going though, so must be fuel.
Thanks given by:
It's not limp home (not limpo....get it?) Mode because that brings up the EML.
We know it's not the Maf as we used a known working one.
Possible that it's temp sensor but I can't imagine so as I think they still run just a bit sluggish (if what Chris said in my thread is correct).

Possible it's a bad Fpr but once again, didn't you use the original one?
I reckon it is electrical what ever it is as I can't see why a blockage would cause it to move between idle and 2k constantly on full throttle.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's always at the same RPM?
Thanks given by:
Could be a mix of things, personally i think it could be coil or lead issues,

does it feel normal up to 2k?
Thanks given by:
Hard to say, cant really drive anywhere 'cos it keeps cutting out, hence meaning one hell of a lurchy ride.

It revs freely untill 2k, and idles spot on, just wont go above 2k despite holding my foot to the floor

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I hope there's no MAF in there as GTi's don't have one do they?

If you open the bonnet and manually open the throttle completely what happens?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Holding the butterfly open on the TB manually under the bonnet gives the same results. I still can't understand the pops and bangs coming from the filter occasionally...
I've taken the battery off for about 5 hours (lol) to reset the ecu and it's ok at the mo. taken it round the block and it's fine. The car was quite hot earlier when it was happening. Perhaps the intake air temperature was too high?

Car is idli g a bit hight now too. Believe it to be the stepper motor, on an unrelated problem to this...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Car gets very hot with a broken IAT as it runs lean and super retarded.

It could be a leaky injector (either air of fuel) potentially.
Thanks given by:
I'll give it a covering in wd40 then as I'm confident it's not leaking fuel. Is the IAT sensor a black sensor with a red blob in... Grey plug?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
It's f*cked bud!!!

Don't help it's a 1.8 either ha ha

Ha ha loves ya really
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Most unhelpful post ever jonny. Thanks mate.

Wink

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ha ha I aim to please bud
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:Is the IAT sensor a black sensor with a red blob in... Grey plug?

Yep it is!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Toms306 helping on a post "not going above 2kRPM"? lol Best advice for not going over 2k would be to shift early i bet!

Anyway ive got no idea about this but i was planning on putting the 6 fannyfold on my 1.8 so might hold fire until youve got this sorted incase the same happens to me :/
Thanks given by:
I might give you my 2.0 when i V6 mine, thatll solve your problems
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Toms306 helping on a post "not going above 2kRPM"? lol Best advice for not going over 2k would be to shift early i bet!

Anyway ive got no idea about this but i was planning on putting the 6 fannyfold on my 1.8 so might hold fire until youve got this sorted incase the same happens to me :/

Its a 1.8 though....they're supposed to be at 5.5k all the time! Wink Not like a shitty diesel where you have to change before 2k..... :roll:

Seriously though Sam, everyone thats changed to the '6 mani seems to be having probs with it!! Just get a '6 engine and drop that in instead. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
SRowell Wrote:Toms306 helping on a post "not going above 2kRPM"? lol Best advice for not going over 2k would be to shift early i bet!

Its a 1.8 though....they're supposed to be at 5.5k all the time! Wink Not like a shitty diesel where you have to change before 2k..... :roll:

Seriously though Sam, everyone thats changed to the '6 mani seems to be having probs with it!! Just get a '6 engine and drop that in instead. Tongue

Tom you talk shit. Mine has been running faultlessly with a gti manifold on for the last 6 months. Dum dum hasnt had any problems with his that I'm aware of. Why not looking into these things before just saying it because you heard 1 or 2 people did have problems.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Its a 1.8 though....they're supposed to be at 5.5k all the time! Wink Not like a shitty diesel where you have to change before 2k..... :roll:

Tom you talk shit. Mine has been running faultlessly with a gti manifold on for the last 6 months. Dum dum hasnt had any problems with his that I'm aware of. Why not looking into these things before just saying it because you heard 1 or 2 people did have problems.

Faultlessly? I'm sure I read a post about yours with a bad idle or something!?

Tom306XS had probs with his too

As did CAR.....
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Faultlessly? I'm sure I read a post about yours with a bad idle or something!?

As did CAR.....

I've had a hunting idle but I've had that since day 1 of owning the car.
Tom306xs had problems with his exhaust manifold and that was because the garage who fitted it didn't fit the exhaust properly.
As to CAR, not sure what his problem was but I know a few people ran them with the gti injectors and that will run like shit unless you remap it for them injectors.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Faultlessly? I'm sure I read a post about yours with a bad idle or something!?

As did CAR.....

I've had a hunting idle but I've had that since day 1 of owning the car.
Tom306xs had problems with his exhaust manifold and that was because the garage who fitted it didn't fit the exhaust properly.
As to CAR, not sure what his problem was but I know a few people ran them with the gti injectors and that will run like shit unless you remap it for them injectors.

Why didnt you sort the idle before mods then? Huh

But you see what I'm getting at......just leave well enough alone lol, considering several people (maybe not everyone :roll: ) have had problems with it......especailly for Sam as his mani would be fitted by himself (and possibly me).....so incorrect fitting will be inevitable really! lol
Thanks given by:
I tried to sort the idle. Injectors need cleaning but I haven't got round to it yet.

Surely you could say leave well alone for every mod you do to a 306 for one reason or another! The gti manifold is a great mod to the 1.8 and works well when it's done properly. Only people I have heard that have had problems is people who have used the gti injectors. And it's pretty obvious that if you have a injector thats pumping more fuel than it should be, it's going to run like shit.
Can't stand it when people slate things like this just because they have heard it doesn't work well. Don't know till you try it your self do you Tom?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:I tried to sort the idle. Injectors need cleaning but I haven't got round to it yet.

Surely you could say leave well alone for every mod you do to a 306 for one reason or another! The gti manifold is a great mod to the 1.8 and works well when it's done properly. Only people I have heard that have had problems is people who have used the gti injectors. And it's pretty obvious that if you have a injector thats pumping more fuel than it should be, it's going to run like shit.
Can't stand it when people slate things like this just because they have heard it doesn't work well. Don't know till you try it your self do you Tom?

Well yeah, look at most of the big power diesels on here that spend more time in bits than on the road..........

It's not a problem if its your second car so you've still got transport, but when you're 'messing' with the thing that gets you to work/college/uni everyday then I just think the risks should be weighed against the assumed benefits. The reason I'm a bit wary of stuff like this is that one of my mechanic mates bought a std HDi a few years ago......and he done so much to it with turbos/fmics/maps/all sorts of stuff i didnt understand at the time etc etc....it was always broken (although it was 'probably' quicker than a '6 when running) and he completely ruined it and it had to be scrapped losing him a hell of a lot of money in the end....and that was a guy that should've known what he was doing. :think:
Thanks given by:
I think people worry too much about money now a days rather then just have a play and a bit of fun. If it goes wrong it goes wrong.

I fitted a vtr inlet on my 1.4 and it is a great mod!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by: