RE: Low idle... constantly cutting out ------ FIXED!!!! :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RE: Low idle... constantly cutting out ------ FIXED!!!! :D
sorry for keep posting my faults up, im at my wits end with the car at the minute, its doing my head in

basically i got it going earlier this week, its been fine for the past 3 days, but today it cut out on me again, i noticed it was running dodgey, when the revs dropped from 1000 to 800, and hesitated when i went to rev.

ive changed the fuel filter, but still no change, at one point i had my foot flat to the floor, for a good 10 seconds and it continued to stay at 800 rpm....

also ive noticed that the hand primer is soft, i pump it quite a few times, and it goes hard, but if i continue to pump it, it goes soft again, then takes ages to then go hard.....
while the primer is hard, i can hear the fuel in the pump, i dont know what its doing, but ive never hear it before.... ive had no end of trouble since running it on veg, and i dont know what else to do...

i apologise if im being annoying with my problem posts, im quite mechanically minded, but i dont really know much about these engines Smile

thanks, adam
Thanks given by:
Air in the fuel lines would be my top guess. Or tank filter blocked.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
forgot to say ive knocked the tank filter out, so see if it made any difference, and it made none :/ i dont know where i could have an air leak, everywhere has had new jubilee clips, the only thing i havent checked is the pipes that go into the top of the sender (the feed and return) but i shouldnt have thought they could be the issue, as they clip into place...

could the big seal around the tank sender be the problem ?
Thanks given by:
Thats the thing with veg it seems if you have an issue with the fuel system the veg will make it worse, or atleast more noticeable.

Is there diesel in it now?

You could try getting just a jerry can of diesel with a pipe in and putting that straight to the pump to see if that solves anything? Atleast if it works then you know its pipes or an air leak somewhere?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yea theres diesel n it, its had 60 quid through it... dont see why it would just go didgey again
Thanks given by:
Squeeze the primer f*cking hard and listen for hissing?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
lol, ive just been out to have another look, cleaned all pipes, all jubilees are tight, tested the injectors by cracking them off one by one while its running to see if the engine changes tone (which it does) so the injectors are fine.....

but its just occured to me that its doing the same thing it did a few months back when the pump went.... so im gonna source a new pump today, as i need the car for tonight as im going away.... anywhere within 50 miles thats got a pump... im gonna go get it Smile

the hand primer is hard, all i can hear is what seems to be the fuel going back down the return line to the tank

thanks, adam
Thanks given by:
Its not a pump issue, unless the vane pump has randomly died which is rare unless its been stood for ages damp...

Ill put money on it being screwed leakoffs...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
its had new leak off pipes the first time it went tits up.... and i put another set on it this week :/

im baffled
Thanks given by:
fuel filter housing is my bet
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
what does it idle like? i know 800rpm is pretty low but is it really lumpy and juddering alot, any smoke coming out the exhaust and if so what color is it?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
when you're running veg you need to up your idle to about 1100rpm or she will cut out unless you hold the revs up . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
bit of info...
I run near 100% veg...

cold idles at about 1100rpm
once warm, it purrs at 850rpm

try doing the penny trick to the filter housing which will always warm the oil/fuel then.
Also gives you the chance to clean and silicone all possible air leaks.
I fixed a host of issues when I did that.

you shouldnt have to adjust your idle settings if its setup right and your veg oil is good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im thinking fuel filter housing you should by pass this first to see if it is the problem, like ruan said its very uncommon to be the pump.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
ill give that a go now, thanks guys... i did see something about the tank vent could be blocked, so i tried it without the filler cap and still no change so its not that..

heres a video of what its like at the minute

[Image: th_20130203_130614.jpg]

ill give the fuel filter housing a go, ill be back on here in 15 to update Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2013, 08:38 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: what does it idle like? i know 800rpm is pretty low but is it really lumpy and juddering alot, any smoke coming out the exhaust and if so what color is it?
its silver.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well spotted lol my car is silver :p ......a grey ish colour comes out the exhaust.

just tried bypassing the filter housing, no change at all, the car is gonna be the end of me at this rate :p
Thanks given by:
Did the new pump not sort it then? or havent you tried it?

Thanks given by:
the pump is on yea, but its still the same :/
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2013, 01:53 PM)Adam.M.Penny Wrote: the pump is on yea, but its still the same :/

So wasnt your pump that was the problem then?

Thanks given by:
dont think so Sad
Thanks given by:
And the problem was.... a little o-ring in the tank sender had disappeared :/

Sits between a plastic collar on a spring, and the pickup pipe

Bought another tank sender/pickup and compared the two...

Now runs like a dream Smile
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2013, 11:32 PM)Adam.M.Penny Wrote: And the problem was.... a little o-ring in the tank sender had disappeared :/

Sits between a plastic collar on a spring, and the pickup pipe

Bought another tank sender/pickup and compared the two...

Now runs like a dream Smile

Wow all that for the sake of an o ring, glad you got it sorted are you gona get it back on veg now?

Thanks given by:
Glad to see that you got it sorted mate it's always the simple things.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
french problems are so hard to find but often very cheap and simple to fix!!! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i couldnt believe it, speechless i was... it will be going veg in the summer, when its a little warmer Smile

also realised the pump i got off chris_90 is gov modded, i knew it had a ground lda, so it smokes and goes like a trooper, but i think it needs setting up a bit better, as when i put my foot down, i cant see the headlights of the car thats behind lol
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 10:54 PM)Adam.M.Penny Wrote: i couldnt believe it, speechless i was... it will be going veg in the summer, when its a little warmer Smile

also realised the pump i got off chris_90 is gov modded, i knew it had a ground lda, so it smokes and goes like a trooper, but i think it needs setting up a bit better, as when i put my foot down, i cant see the headlights of the car thats behind lol

Gov modded to? i was only told it was lda grind, I really wish i never sold it lol, you sure its gov modded?

Thanks given by:
shouldnt smoke that bad, just losing fuel

just go 50/50 veg if you worried about the cold.

I am 100% no probs at the mo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im pretty sure, revs alot higher than the other pump.... ill give the veg another go, when i get a chance to filter it Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glow plugs on constantly bashbarnard 7 2,514 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  erratic idle / cutting out adamm306 39 6,558 25-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Paul_13