Anyone else got a Catch Tank fitted to their XU10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else got a Catch Tank fitted to their XU10
Anyone else got a Catch tank fitted to their XU10. Ive got potential issues with mine and I was wondering if they were in any way normal.

Its plumbed in between the top breather off the rocker cover and back into the pipe in the throttle body. Basically where the standard pipe runs but with the tank fitted inline and no filter.

Anyway its been on for a week or so now and i unbolted it today and noticed that there was some liquid in there (although not enough to show in the sight guage) so i drained it out and was supprised to discover that it WASNT OIL!!

It was water that has an oily coloured tinge and oily/petroly smell to it.

I added some oil to it and the oil clearly sat on top so defo water. Anyway is this normal condensation or do I have issues?
Thanks given by:
Probably just a bit of condensation due to the weather bud
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I fitted mine today. When i took the original hose off, there was water in there. Condensation I reckon as there is no water in oil or oil in water
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:I fitted mine today. When i took the original hose off, there was water in there. Condensation I reckon as there is no water in oil or oil in water

Cheers Guys youve put my mind at ease, suppose it shows its working as a catch tank otherwise that would all be down my inlet.

Niall it'd be interesting to see if there was much in yours after a couple of weeks
Thanks given by:
I've had my air filter off a few times recently over the last few weeks. Normally it's just a bit of oil in there but since the cold weather, it's been very watery.
Bearing in mind I normally drive the car at night when it's cold so as it cools down, condensation builds up.

Will let you know in a few weeks what's in the tank!

Oh might have taken a liking to your engine bay and be ordering a load of blue hosing and conduit.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Might have to come and pinch some of your conduit
Thanks given by:
Go onto the auto sylicone hoses website and they sell a pack of various sizes conduit. About 3m of each so easily enough. And it's 14 quid. Going to order it payday.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ill never forget the time i opened up the breather line on my 1.6 and found this:

[Image: DSC07354r.jpg]
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Moonstone2.0 Wrote:Ill never forget the time i opened up the breather line on my 1.6 and found this:

[Image: DSC07354r.jpg]

Mine was like that but it was so lined with it, there was about a 2mm hole through the middle
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Mine looked like that but it was thicker yellower and less runny, I dug it out with a screwdriver.

Dont get any of that shit on the oil cap or the rad cap so ill assume that the HG is all good
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XU10 oil gallery tappings C2K 5 1,615 15-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: C2K
  XU10 J4D/Z / RFT? thiscocks 3 1,849 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Surging xu10 when cold sherman306 2 1,251 17-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Last Post: sherman306