Adjustable drop links

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjustable drop links
Only just got round to fitting my adjustable drop links that I got from the RnD motorsport group buy back in September.

I didn't end up fitting them though because I wasn't able to make them as long as I expected, they are barely long enough to go much past standard length.

Am I right in thinking that for a ~40mm drop in ride height I want my drop links to be ~40mm longer? Because if so they'll be useless and I'll need more bars making up.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have a read through this Ben.....it might help

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=142963
Thanks given by:
I got a set of these to fit and the instructions made it sound like a fare bit of adjusting and setting up was involved but that link makes it look very simple.

Will save me a few pennys by doing it myself!
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that it will make it easier setting them up properly.

After thinking about it I'm not sure whether they do need to be longer for lowered cars, but I've heard people say they do so many times.

Any clarification on this?
Thanks given by:
My logic tells me they dont, the height drop of the car comes from the spring which above the point which the droplinks bolt on so the distance the droplink fits in with stay the same. Second thought...
If you think of it as raising the wheels up to the car and not the car down to the wheels then the droplinks do move.

Ive now confused myself.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure your first thought was right. Just don't understand why I've heard it said so many times that longer links are required.
Thanks given by:
i thought fitting adjustable droplinks only made the anti roll bar stiffer?
Thanks given by:
This has bugged me all night now and im pretty sure my second theory was right. Ill try and draw a picture to show you after work, if i can get it make sense ill pm it to you.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dropping the hight of the will increase the distance between where the ARB was and the shock mounting hole. But it makes no odds. As the ARB is only working agenst itself on the other side. In reality it dosnt really matter how long the drop link is as it only comes under load as the body rolls in a corner. The only thing the adjustable drop links do is take up the slack/flex the OE ones have due to being crap. Just means it will stiffen up due to the drop link not being able to bend slightly. So it dosnt matter if its OE length or 10foot long it wont make it any stiffer.

Basicaly its not the length that stiffens it up its what its made from and how much it can bed/flex

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Its also been said after time the ARB can shape, IE be a bit bent out of shape, so you can even this out using the adjustables
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 10:16 PM)Ben Wrote: Pretty sure your first thought was right. Just don't understand why I've heard it said so many times that longer links are required.

It's simply to reduce the angle the joints are travelling through, which reduces wear/stress and in cases where the car is pretty low, binding/snapping of the links.
Thanks given by:
Oki doke that seems pretty conclusive then, cheers for all the replies guys
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn spinning drop links Iaitoo 24 6,330 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Drop links - and now tie rods :) Iaitoo 11 2,113 16-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Drop links spec mattbarker32 27 4,328 06-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: maxzy