Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cambelt change on 1.8 16 valve
#1
Hi all,

Has anyone managed to change the cambelt on a 1.8 16 valve (XU7 JP4) engine with the engine still in the car?

On mine, there is not enough clearance between the camshaft pulleys and the inner wing to get a torque wrench in to tighten up the camshaft bolts after the new belt had been fitted. These bolts are not something that I would like to leave up to my 'calibrated elbow'! Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
#2
Not done a 1.8 but have done several 2.0l 16v engines where space is equally tight. Have you got the cam pulley with the single central bolt or the ones with 3 separate smaller bolts? If the former then put on a load of locktight n do it up fairly tight. I presume you have a cam holding tool to assist with that? If you're a good judge if such things then I'm sure you'll be fine. I expect every belt change on these cars with the engine in situ has been done without a torque wrench!
#3
Thanks for that. Smile Yep, mine is the one with the single central bolts. Need to check the cal cert for my elbow though, it might be out! Big Grin
#4
plenty of space to torque them up
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
#5
I'm guessing I never jack the engine high enough then!


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cambelt change on XU7JP4 Morecowbell72 1 5,684 13-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  2.0 XSi cambelt change Chris71 3 4,183 09-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Cambelt change: how to remove idler? heyitsroth 0 2,100 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: heyitsroth

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)