Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Gearbox?
#1
got problems with my gearbox today.

It started making a faint grinding sound yesterday (I thought it was the arch liner rubbing on the wheel it was that kind of sound) and today I've gone to a car meet and it's sounded the same all day. Parked up and on my drive home it's got worse. 
It's a heavy grinding, I can sometimes feel it in the gearstick.
It's not always there, I have noticed no pattern of it coming and going. 
Clutch doesn't affect the sound
Throttle can sometimes increase how loud the sound is
While the gearbox is making the sound it is a lot harder to get into gear. But when it's not making the sound, gear selection is fine. 
It does have a slight gearbox oil leak, so I will top it up and see if that fixes it. 

But does anyone know what else it might be?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#2
is the engine still level in the engine bay?
is all engine mounts attached?
wheel bearings?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

#3
Yes
Yes
Would wheel bearings affect the gear change?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#4
maybe not but you havent said if its a rolling or stationary noise clutch in or out engine running of not
try clutch in down hill with engine off watch the steering lock Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

#5
I did, mentioned the clutch didn't affect the sound. And it's mostly rolling. Haven't heard it properly while stationary
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#6
Is gearbox actually bolted to the engine? They can come loose
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
#7
Is it defiantly the gearbox? I replaced my driveshafts and I started getting a noise that sounded like the gearbox. It would do it whilst in neutral and just rolling forward. I thought it was the gearbox box, but turned out to be the driveshaft.

Edit *definitely* gotta love auto correct!
#8
I can't get out and check anything at the moment but will try this week.
Gearboxes are pretty much the only thing I haven't touched so I have no idea what I'm looking at or looking for
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#9
Does it make the noise in neutral whilst rolling forward? Ie drive a bit put it in neutral and just coast. Could be the driveshaft if noise is still there. Coincidentally, I snapped my clutch cable two days ago and then blew my girlfriends gearbox up on her polo yesterday. Lol not a good weekend for me..
#10
The noise is intermittent, so really hard to pinpoint.

I've been told by a few it could be the diff?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#11
(27-03-2016, 05:58 PM)Matt Wrote: The noise is intermittent, so really hard to pinpoint.

I've been told by a few it could be the diff?

Any work been done on any of the drivetrain recently; shafts, CV's, anything like that?
Phaes 1 GTI 6  -  Onyx Black
#12
Nope nothing mate
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#13
(27-03-2016, 05:58 PM)Matt Wrote: The noise is intermittent, so really hard to pinpoint.

I've been told by a few it could be the diff?


Could be the diff. I had a whinny crunchy gearbox on another 106. Changed the oil and that made no difference. Thought it was gonna blow up so I gave it to my brother lol to my amazement, it's still going strong today. Still whines and sounds like it's gonna go bang but it still lives! So you never know, might go on forever like that. I would still change the gearbox oil and look for metal filings etc. Bare in mind though that you seem to get a bit on these boxes anyway and doesn't always mean much, but a good place to start. You can also see how much you've lost from the leak you have. Also you can get Molly slip for gearboxes that makes old gearboxes go on for ever. It's only about £10 so maybe worth a look. Seems to be pretty good at shutting gearboxes up. [emoji6]

Oh halfords sell it. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-...-protector
#14
have you been using propper BV 75w80 gear oil in the gearbox?
as they are a little picky on what they like

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

#15
I haven't touched the oil in the box since the new engine was fitted. It's been in the car about 2 years now, with a slow leak. I'm hoping it's a dry box. Will be buying oil from Peugeot tomorrow.

How do I fill the box?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#16
through the breather at the top
box takes 2 ltrs from dry

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

#17
The white cap? How does that come off? Just pull? I've never really looked at it
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#18
Black plastic 'nut' type thing under the white cap. Its 17mm iirc.
#19
Just undo it yeah?

Take it completly off I guess, and fill till it spills or is there a level?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#20
this is for the 5 speed but i guess the level plug is the same as the 6 speed

   

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

#21
So from the side, fill until it spills. From the top 2 litres from dry right.

I'll drop the oil and see what's left tomorrow. As I can't get the oil today as dealership will be shut!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#22
Halfords? It's a 306 any old gearbox oil will do. As long as the weight is right then should be all good.
#23
Gearboxes on these tend to like dealer stuff. Use any old oil and even that can cause issues
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#24
Burr, worth noting then. I normally just slap any old shit in mine. Lol
#25
(28-03-2016, 12:00 PM)Matt Wrote: So from the side, fill until it spills. From the top 2 litres from dry right.

I'll drop the oil and see what's left tomorrow. As I can't get the oil today as dealership will be shut!

Good luck getting it in the side without a pump though... I'd fill from the top either way.

If you're draining it, just stick the full 2 litres in afterwards, I'd only bother with the level plug if it was only half drained from a driveshaft popping out or something.
#26
Yeah will drain it first and see what's what. Same deal with a sump? Drop the plug, replace the crush washer?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#27
Yeah, replace washer if you can. Some people get away without but I find they drip if not.
#28
love the picture!
#29
Well drained the old oil, and well urm, pretty sure there is meant to be more than 350ml in there.....

There's a snag in my driveshaft seal by the looks of it :/ which I really don't want to replace. I hate driveshafts

But I'm guessing the lack of oil caused this noise. Well hoping so anyway
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#30
That's pretty impressive... Even with dodgy shaft seals there should be more in it than that. Confused


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)