Fitting speakers with large magnets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting speakers with large magnets
I had a go at fitting a pair of component alpine speakers which are currently in my celica.
The depth doesn't seem to be an issue as it's only an extra 1cm over stock.
The problem i have is the magnet is too large. 

Has anyone cut away the door skin approx 5mm around the circumference of it? Or would that be a bad idea?

Also, where is the best place to get an amp power cable through the bulkhead. I've read most people drill a hole, but where would be best?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Okay right....

you have a few options

Passenger footwell - Drill a hole and put a grommet in there.
Drivers side Hole - There is a hole around the brake master cylinder, behind the speedo which you can poke the bung out with a screwdriver and use that but youll need a few more m of cable.
Aircon bung - There is a bung for aircon and if youre de airconned you could go through there. can put your audio power lead through a hole you drill in the passenger footwell.

Ive always drilled a hole because its super easy and you came straight off the batter through the bulkhead. Its the most direct route and is super easy.

I dont know what you mean by the magnet being too big? Is the window fowling on it? Or is the speaker too big for the speaker hole? If its the magnet hitting the window... then you can get some spacers to space them out but you will loose the OEM speaker grilles.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info mate, that's spot on.

The speaker doesn't even go into the hole at all as the magnet is too big. 
I already trimmed doorcards a while back and removed them today to double check but the actual hole in the inner door skin is too small a diameter
Thanks given by:
The magnet should be small on the back of the speaker. I have no idea how its stopping you front getting them in. Do you mean the speaker body itself is too wide? Get some photos and point to what is the issue...
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna go ahead and assume these aren't "type E" components, and have bigger than usual magnets. Though pictures tell 1000 words, personally I'd have thought if you were to take a few mm off the door with a dremel or similar, you shouldn't have too much issue.

Must be some pretty hench speakers though. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Either cut the metal or make some extra space with a club hammer, for my 306 I cut a few 1CM slots around the speaker opening in a radial fashion that hammered it back a bit. It's fine as long as your window still goes up and down!
Thanks given by:
The magnet is flippin massive! Here's a pic off the net but this is what i mean in terms of magnet size.

Edit: found the model, they are Alpine SPR 17S
Thanks given by:
Jesus christ.... what is that... well... to fit that just hack out whatever is in the way. Good luck!
Thanks given by:
Told you they were huge! 

The celica has a seperate plastic speaker mould mounted onto the door, about 2 inches deep and big enough to fit a sub magnet in easy, standard front speakers are 8" lol

Just to make sure, when you drill a hole in the passenger footwell, i'm guessing it's done from inside? Barely any room in the bay as it is without trying to get a drill in there
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fitting door speakers? JTaylor2005 2 1,333 29-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Door speakers and parcel shelf speakers Welshy_Pete 7 3,960 24-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Last Post: mark_airey