Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Valve stem replacement
#1
Hi There,

I've stripped my head down this evening.

However, I just cant seem to get a grip on the the valve stem seals to remove them.

Is there any method to remove these.

Is it a case of force?
#2
Not really.

More technique.

If you use too much force you could easily damage the valve stem guides which are quite soft.

I used to have a proper tool for them, but 'lost' it when leaving the garage...

Used a set of small molegrips on my recent head build, adjusted to just hold them, twist and wiggle till they come lose, then pull ThumbsUp

Like this:

[Image: valve_stem_seal_pliers.jpg]
Wishes for more power...
#3
Long nose pliers will do the trick, just put one end down the middle and the other on outside and not too far in, twist and pull
#4
I'll try that tomorrow

I just did'nt want to go pulling them of with a pliers and damage the guides.

Best to leave it and check.

ThanksSmile
#5
(15-12-2014, 10:17 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Long nose pliers will do the trick, just put one end down the middle and the other on outside and not too far in, twist and pull

Yeah be VERY cautious with this approach!!

Only a mm or so of seal and then its the delicate guide...
Wishes for more power...
#6
Got them off

Any way to get them on without damaging the rubbers?

..haha

Really should but the correct tool
#7
Tap them on with a small socket?
#8
See my head build video on youtube....

Wink
Wishes for more power...
#9
(16-12-2014, 08:33 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Tap them on with a small socket?

Tried that, but any force would have damaged the rubbers

(16-12-2014, 08:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: See my head build video on youtube....

Wink

Will do!

Have you a link to your channel?

Thanks

Just seen your link in your footer..haha
#10
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDIjyzQ...VvYuyeEC2Q

That might help Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
#11
This takes you direct to playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL...KjyzVTFJrj
Wishes for more power...
#12
Thanks,

I may just look for a socket that catches the collar of the valve stem.

The only one I could find would have just ripped the rubber.

Garage Clean up needed ..haha
#13
Sat and watched all the videos last night. Quite entertaining and informative.
Thanks for doing them.
#14
Smile

Cool, thanks Smile
Wishes for more power...


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)