Power Tools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Tools
Particularly, cordless drills...I'm going to need one in a month or so and figure it's always useful to have one, but I figure you guys will have a good idea on what to get! So, for pretty general application, what do you recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Bosch units (the 14.4v Li Cordless) as they're a pretty reputable brand, and can pick up that one for about £80 or so, but should I be looking to spend a bit more to get a Makita? Or another brand altogether?

Double rep for helpful posts Inlove
Thanks given by:
I've got a Makita cordless drill, hammer drill, angle grinder, jigsaw, circular saw and router, all ancient as my dad gave me them when he got newer stuff bought by work, never had an issue with any of them Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Get an 18v one for sure no less.

I have this one... http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/d...d=11738455

Would recommend checking screwfix aswell they usually have some good deals on. Also Dewalt and Makita are good but more pricey than Bosch. I think!

Edit: Checked for you... http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/18v-cord...cat2700016
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Makita are good.

I have this one: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto...ber=105132

For the money, it's brilliant. It feels really solid, nice weight to it, with a metal chuck which is very usual in this price range. It's one of the nicest I've used, and I was always stealing my Uncles beforehand lol. It's basically a DeWalt without the name and therefore price.
Thanks given by:
the 14.4's arnt bad at all for the money only downside is the basic battery ( 1.5amp)isnt great in terms of life but will still do most houdehold things regardless, but you can get the 2.5amp batttery you'll be sorted for anything you can throw at it
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, rep all around Smile
Thanks given by:
Makita, Hitachi, Dewalt, Hilti, Panasonic

Any of those makes in 18v will be fine.
Thanks given by:
Yeah always 18v. Imho dont bother with any less.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Dad works in construction and after many years of using all the brands he now won't use anything but Makita, says the other stuff just doesn't last and ends up spending more replacing cheaper stuff than just buying a nice one once. But different circumstances I guess as his is used heavily and daily against a occasional use
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Makita or hitachi for me I've got a small majors set which has been great for household and fitting in cars but occasionally do need something bigger for working on the car especially with the bigger jobs
Thanks given by:
Depends what your using it for.
Don't buy a bosch. Their cheaper ones aren't that good. My Erabuer cost £115 3 years ago and for a 18v, its a little beast. I've pretty much destroyed it now but its been used virtually every day for 3 years.
Other good makes are Makita (great deal on one in B&Q at the moment), Hitachi and Dewalt although the cheaper Dewalts done seem to last long.

Alternatively, you want one of these which is my next purchase Wink
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dh25da...5-2v/69362
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I've had two of the cheaper boschs... Around 80 iirc and they've only lasted a year each before failing. Got a makita now and it's a lot nicer, seems more solid... I'd say they're worth the extra Smile
Thanks given by:
Dewalt all the way I am part of a carnival club and the abuse I give my 18v one and it still keeps going
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
This one seems to be the one then! http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/d...s-12988839
Thanks given by:
Thats it and if you get it in store, they did have a deal on when you get a free drill bit set which although branded as Makita, isn't and the bits are rather poor but again, they have seen my abuse. Occasional use and they should be fine
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Mate your not exactly a DIY enthusiast and If you haven't really needed one up until now you probably wont really need one so IMO go cheap and buy a £30 Clark out of Wilko (Zakk has one and its surprisingly powerful) or just hire or borrow one when you need it.

As for power tools my Makita grinder is my favorite tool ever and If I buy any more power tools I'll be going for Makita stuff
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 12:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Mate your not exactly a DIY enthusiast and If you haven't really needed one up until now you probably wont really need one so IMO go cheap and buy a £30 Clark out of Wilko (Zakk has one and its surprisingly powerful) or just hire or borrow one when you need it.

As for power tools my Makita grinder is my favorite tool ever and If I buy any more power tools I'll be going for Makita stuff

Is that the mains grinder chris or the 18v battery one?
Thanks given by:
Makita all the way...

Gone through so many £30 drills, inc 18v ones...now got a almost new one off a mate coz batteries were ruined, got two batteries and its jyst epic. Love the thing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
All my kit is Makita but I use it everyday so I need good equipment.

For light DIY use I would recommend Ryobi. It's pretty cheap but still robust and works well.
Thanks given by:
Yeah Ryobi stuff is quite good. Got a Ryobi belt sander, did a great job on my stairs and seems well made.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 12:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Mate your not exactly a DIY enthusiast and If you haven't really needed one up until now you probably wont really need one so IMO go cheap and buy a £30 Clark out of Wilko (Zakk has one and its surprisingly powerful) or just hire or borrow one when you need it.

I disagree, he might not use it much, but, by a quality tool now and it will last the rest of his life. Not to mention a drill has to be one of the most popular power tools, and get a bit set and you can do screws with it aswell and you can get adapters to put sockets on.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom Smile everyone has to start somewhere, and while I agree that you buy according to what you need, there's no harm in spending a little more on something like this which will last and will cover heavier use, should I need it.
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 07:08 AM)rocker8742 Wrote:

Is that the mains grinder chris or the 18v battery one?

Mains 9"

Nearly dropped it the first time I used it as the torque twisted it out of my hands
Thanks given by:
Ive a bosch cordless, ok drill but the batteries are done now. Also have a ryobi corded drill which is decent, brother had ryobi cordless drills for years with no issues, he also uses aeg which is good. Makita is hard to beat aswell, have a couple of there grinders.
Thanks given by:
As previously said, get a makita! Look in screwfix they usually do good deals on the 18v drills Smile

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp453r...-kit/20547
That's with a 101piece kit. Can get them for £100 without all the accessories
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453s...rill/57626

We have an older one of these at the sailing centre and its beast! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2014, 08:49 PM)SRowell Wrote: http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453s...rill/57626

We have an older one of these at the sailing centre and its beast! Big Grin

Thats the one B&Q have for 99.99 with a free box of drill bits and drive bits. One of the lads at work just bought one and it seems great. Much more power than my Erauber but the hammer function is no where near as good. But then if you need a hammer drill, you don't buy a 18v as most of them aren't up to much.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Makita generally repair your power tools for free if you send them off to them as well.
Very good customer service, they even repair ancient stuff.
Thanks given by:
Just buy a good hammer. The only tool you need. Smile
Thanks given by:
One thing to look out for is the chuck size, a lot of cheaper drills only have a 10mm max chuck. I would go for a 13mm chuck.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  brake line making tools zx_volcane 3 1,587 07-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  same tools, different manufacturer bashbarnard 27 7,870 01-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Last Post: P-Courty
Tongue Tools Matt 31 9,321 18-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Tom