How not to rebuild a engine :O Final out come!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How not to rebuild a engine :O Final out come!
So Some of you know the cherry dt's engine locked up shortly after the owner rebuilt it. Well ill let the pictures do the talking. Please note this car never go driven on the road after the rebuild!

Lets see who lists all the problems Tongue

[attachment=14053]

[attachment=14054]

[attachment=14055]

[attachment=14056]

[attachment=14057]

[attachment=14058]

[attachment=14059]

I do have to say he did buy all the rebuild kit with a nice metal head gasket! But are these decomp pistons? Im lead to believe so?

Taking the bottom end apart tomorrow to see if they are hdi rods and why she sized solid.
Thanks given by:
The indentations in the pistons do look a bit shallow so possibly. You say the engine has locked up? Whys everything covered in oil?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Aren't decomp pistons just normal ones with the top shaved off a bit? If so, they do look like that lol!

As for seizing, gotta be lack of oil surely? Lack of lubricant and overheating of something, big end shells or maybe pistons I guess....maybe they forgot to refit the oil squirters?
Thanks given by:
Actually looking again, cylinder one (cambelt end) looks higher than cylinder 4. And also the bores are like brown. And the valves and the head look like they're caked in oil :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Wow that looks like a good job done!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well looking at it in person theres oil dripping down the side of the bottom end. water inside the chambers. No way the metal gasket was doing its job! The oil on the pistons and valves I don't no??? The head wasn't cleaned nor the bottom end, So he rebuilt it on a dirty block !
Thanks given by:
Who rebuilt it ?
Thanks given by:
Not naming people but I got it off a chap on Fb, Engine started, few rev's then cut out sized solid! will be taking the sump off tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Hope my engine is not like this then when I start it.
Thanks given by:
How long was it stood for the waterways to be THAT corroded :/
Thanks given by:
I had it for around 3 weeks before I took it apart, Before then not to long.
Thanks given by:
Head gasket up side down?
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2014, 11:01 PM)underground375 Wrote: Well looking at it in person theres oil dripping down the side of the bottom end. water inside the chambers. No way the metal gasket was doing its job! The oil on the pistons and valves I don't no??? The head wasn't cleaned nor the bottom end, So he rebuilt it on a dirty block !

Doh

That's a pretty major fail tbh...how long would it take to clean it up ffs! Rolleyes

And now you mention it, the headgasket does have carbon/soot between the cylinders so looks like it was blowing between them, and obviously where the water got in too. So I'm guessing its bent a rod if there was water in there?

Also, check that the block/head aren't warped at all if you're rebuilding it, as I wouldn't be surprised tbh. If he didn't clean the block I guess he didn't skim the head either?
Thanks given by:
^^^my thoughts exactly. Be curious to see what crank is like
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No head skim not clean up what so ever. Oil pissing out down the side of the block and everything. I will be taking the bottom end apart tonight, will upload my discoveries
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's been running with no/next to no antifreeze tbh.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Managed to get the block turning by using a breaker bar, This is how the pistons sit at tdc.

[attachment=14065]

[attachment=14066]
Thanks given by:
Defo decomp taking them out tonight with the rods.
Thanks given by:
Can see lines on them from where they were in the lathe.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
No skim?! Ouch
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Come on don't keep us waiting what happened to it
Thanks given by:
...a mess?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
So it all looks normal when I took the sump off.

[attachment=14093]
[attachment=14092]

Untill I took the shells out, here's what happened.

[attachment=14094]

Three shells looked like this, by the looks of it the chap was working in a very dirty space as the shells was covered in dirt and grit. coursing this damage.

but then I got to the 4th shell. (Fly wheel side) To be greated with a loose bolt on the shell casing :O

Well ill let the pictures do the talking.

[attachment=14095]
[attachment=14097]
[attachment=14096]

What a Tool!!!

A piss poor head change and a loose bolts! Even when I was taking the sump off there was a bolt missing and 3 bolts where loose! Just say away from engines pal.
Thanks given by:
Aint seen shells like that in a while. Hows the crank?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
LAst picture shows the damage to the crank, Big ends no good so its on the scrap pile =\
Thanks given by:
What a bugger
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Scrap or an XUD coffee table
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
At least you have a crank there if you fancy making a scrap dog
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 11:36 AM)306Dan Wrote: At least you have a crank there if you fancy making a scrap dog

I like the idea of that lol
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2014, 11:31 PM)underground375 Wrote: A piss poor head change and a loose bolts! Even when I was taking the sump off there was a bolt missing and 3 bolts where loose! Just say away from engines pal.

This is the reason I hate buying 2nd hand cars without history, people like that have been trying to fix them! Did you buy the whole car or just the engine? If its the car I'd be checking everything else as well lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COTM May 2013 "Best Photo" - GRAND FINAL VOTE Dum-Dum 20 5,309 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Carlos182