Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New to hdi and have a non starter
#1
Hi I have just acquired a 306 hdi. All was fine started and drove fine. Next day wouldn't start. I wiggled some wires near the fuel rail and it started? Today It won't start again. In tank pump is fine. Any help please.
#2
Could be something to do with the rail pressure sensor, perhaps pull the plug off and check for corrosion?
Doesnt even own a 306.
#3
Should it show rpm while cranking?
#4
The tacho should flutter slightly above zero whilst cranking, or atleast mine certainly does.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
#5
Just been back out connections look ok. If I remove the sensor out the bottom of the fuel rail and turn ignition on there is plenty of fuel coming out so I know the lift pump is working. Any further suggestions??

Thanks George
#6
Which particular wires did you wiggle? Theres a large yellow plug in that area that is a bit weak, and most usually have a cable tie holding it together these days.
#7
The ones that go to the sensor in the front of tge fuel rail. I think it was probably a coincidence.
#8
I think it is those wires that go to the yellow plug, might want to check that's tight.

Need some more info to make a better diagnosis really. I take it the battery is good and cranking the engine over quickly? And you can hear the lift pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

Do you know anyone that could check the ECU for fault codes? Or even better anyone with Peugeot Planet to run some more diagnostics?
#9
I'll have a look. Yeah batter ok even tried jump leads. Not unless there is anyone local to me Scunthorpe or hull area on here?
#10
Hmm, ok, likely to be a sensor (cam/crank/pressure/etc) but difficult to say without anything else to go by.
#11
I'll have a good look at the connections tomorrow. Thanks for you're help
#12
Just 2 other things I have noticed. The two green relays in the bottom right corner of tge fuse box, I only have one? Were the other would go is black around one pin? Also I don't have a fuel filter under the bonnet??
#13
Which one is missing, left or right? They are for rear electric windows and front fog lights.

As for the fuel filter, it must be there, it's in a plastic housing on top/front of the engine.
#14
Nope I think its been bypassed. Its the left relay.
#15
Ok, the left one should be for rear electric windows. Can't say I've heard of that particular relay burning out though, I take it your rear windows don't work?

Oh ok, not sure why anyone would bypass it, is there another filter anywhere? Also, a pic of the engine bay would help if you can get one.
#16
Will get some pics tomorrow. Its a 3door so strange that its burnt. No other filter that I can see
#17
Its a 3 door? Oh, that relay is usually just left blank on those! Confused Do you have an electric sunroof, might be used for that I guess, otherwise that's really odd for it to burn out.
#18
No sunroof! Glad it was cheap!
#19
Lol, oh well, I don't know what else to suggest for that then haha!
#20
Im more bothered about getting it running again. Lol

What about brown relay or does that just stop low pressure pump?
#21
That controls quite a few odd little bits iirc, can't remember exactly what though, helpfully lol. Link in my sig might be some help, but really you need to get it on diagnostics.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#22
I might have a look at the 3 position shut off. Is this cleanable or just replace. Bothe sensors in the rail were clean
#23
Should be able to give it a flush with some wd40 or similar.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#24
What is the sensor on the side of the high pressure pump? The bolts for it are rounded so I guess its been fiddled with.
#25
Fuel pressure regulator is on the side of the HP pump and has bolts made of cheese.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
#26
Could that cause non starting?
#27
Yup, was going to be the next thing i suggested. Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#28
Right ive got a running donner car but the little sensor in the fuel rail one held in by a 10mm bolt is different?
#29
I've had code reader on it and got
P0230
P0200
P0190
P0220
P0120

?????
#30
Google the codes.
Doesnt even own a 306.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)