Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
nackered turbo?
#1
So i was sitting in traffic and my car would unexpectedly rev up to about 3000, then calm down to normal, it did this about 4 times, it then made a horrible vibrating noise when i hit boost while chucking out grey smoke, it then revved uncontrolably even when i turned the ignition off, i managed to kill the engine by covering the intake, is the cause of this a blown turbo?
#2
yea sounds like oil is getting in from somewhere and causing it to run away
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
#3
Aright, waited for the car to cool down, then fired it up again, and was making a horrible sound, as if there were ball bearings in the turbo. Sad
#4
Yep, I'd put money on that being a failed turbocharger.

Few points - don't ignore these otherwise you're likely to end up with a screwed engine also:

- DO NOT START IT until you've removed the failed unit.

- Remove the Intercooler, manifolds and ALL associated pipework and clean it thoroughly - if you don't all that oil that was in there from the failed turbo will come up as soon as the new turbo spins up for the first time, and blow it ALL down the inlet in one go - probably causing a rod failure - I've seen precisely this happen two or three times!!!

- Check Oil feeds and drains for anything suspicious - that could be the reason the old unit failed.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
#5
Okay, cheers, anyone got a turbo for sale? ;-)
#6
I have a k14 you can have for £20.

though your near darren, would of thought he might have something kicking around...
#7
Yeah gonna try and get hold of Darren, is the k14 simply a bolt on, or do I need any adaptors. I've got a t2 on ATM
#8
Any advice on best way to get rid of all the gunky oil thats in the inlet and intercooler?
#9
(14-01-2014, 03:20 PM)willJspears Wrote: Yeah gonna try and get hold of Darren, is the k14 simply a bolt on, or do I need any adaptors. I've got a t2 on ATM

No worries, it's here on the shelf if needed.

It's all on the manifold and has the exhaust elbow still. I have the oil drain pipe but not a oil feed line. Though the T2 is identical IIRC.
#10
Okay mate, will let you know if i need it.
#11
(14-01-2014, 04:15 PM)willJspears Wrote: Any advice on best way to get rid of all the gunky oil thats in the inlet and intercooler?

Degreaser or burn it out or something lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
#12
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Bit of lighter fluid. Ansum Wink
#13
Will mate I got a parts washer at work if you give my the bits I will do it for you. Also why don't u get a turbo off one on the scrap 306.
#14
A parts washer? May already have one on the way. Plus it means I have to take it off the scrap 30
#15
Good point what u going to get going bigger or know? And parts washer for washing out all ur black gunk
#16
Aright, nah, just going standard, wanna get her back on the road ASAP
#17
Let me know if u need a hand
#18
Will do met
#19
Radd on where u gonna strip it to at your
#20
Yee, spect so


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)