Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Rust! But wait.. theres more!
#1
Sooo, felt quite confident in the car passing the MOT this morning until the tester put a hole in the floor for me...

[Image: 20130807_120537_zpsaa31c3d9.jpg]

Which turned into this when I had little further investigation back home !

[Image: 20130807_141108_zpsb057a2ff.jpg]

Then I found another hole further towards the front of the car where it curves upwards..

[Image: 20130807_141125_zps8de8cbdc.jpg]

Advice welcome Smile
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#2
Common for them to go on front chassis rails. Mainly ph1s
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
#3
Scrap it.....



My advice probably isn't welcome. lol
#4
repair that. not too tricky!
Wishes for more power...
#5
Thinking of having a go at repairing it but dont really have much patience for the car at the moment especially with having to fit new piston rings aswell. Thinking of buying another car and fix this one up slowly Undecided
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#6
Big f*ck off splatter of weld! Done
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#7
If it's got a few issues why not buy a better one (doesn't sound like you could buy a much worse one lol Tongue ) and keep the best bits off yours to swap?


Btw, you probably want to check your rear arch for rust if you haven't already....
#8
It has four arch covers thankfully! I Haven't actually checked the rear quarter but with the liner it should be alright. The plan is to possibly get another for the time being
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#9
That will t cut out that lol...i thought the mot.ers wernt allowd to poke and prod..
(msg sent from hell)


If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
#10
Fair enough martyn, just seems easier to get another to keep instead of stop gap. Smile

John, Mot man has a plastic hammer he is allowed to poke with lol....
#11
and thats why we dont jack up and put axle stands on the chassis rails!
Wishes for more power...
#12
(07-08-2013, 10:18 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Fair enough martyn, just seems easier to get another to keep instead of stop gap. Smile

John, Mot man has a plastic hammer he is allowed to poke with lol....

Shit he best not use it on mine one tap and everything will fall off i recon lol..
(msg sent from hell)


If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
#13
I had the same yesterday with my MOT inside the drivers wheel arch near the footwell big hole size of a fist... welded a plate in though
#14
Whereabouts in Preston are you? I'm from Penwortham originally. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
#15
Martyn, bring the car to me and we'll fix that in a few hours. I expect a banana and a pint in return!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

#16
(09-08-2013, 08:37 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Martyn, bring the car to me and we'll fix that in a few hours. I expect a banana and a pint in return!

Sure im up for that Wink Heres a few more pics from today removing a little more underseal/rust...

[Image: 20130809_184515_zpsbc00745e.jpg]

[Image: 20130809_184740_zpsb407d40f.jpg]
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#17
Although it's nasty in that spot it doesn't look like it's traveled far. Metal looks good around it. Repaired and sealed that should last for years. Definitely not a reason to scrap it.
#18
(09-08-2013, 06:23 PM)C2K Wrote: Whereabouts in Preston are you? I'm from Penwortham originally. Smile
Only just seen this sorry lol. Dont live in Preston, only put that as its more likely to be known than Kirkham ! haha



Made a start fixing it.. Rolleyes Hopefully going to try get it sorted tomorrow if I can!

[Image: 20130812_154059_zps5f2ffdff.jpg]
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#19
Once you have all the grot cut out it's well worth putting a coat of weld through zinc primer over all the areas you can see as you'll have unprotected edges where you've made the cuts that will start to rust again with condensation. It's well worth a light coat on the back of all repair patches to help slow down any future rust. You can get cavity wax in aerosols too that you can spray in through any access holes you an find. It can seem like a waste of money at the time since you can't see it but in a couple of years time the repair should still be near perfect.
#20
Ouch! My holes on the chassis weren't that bad!! spray a shit load of Wax Sealant to kill the rust further down the chassis rail as well before welding back up!
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#21
(13-08-2013, 07:35 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Ouch! My holes on the chassis weren't that bad!! spray a shit load of Wax Sealant to kill the rust further down the chassis rail as well before welding back up!

Will wax sealant actually kill rust though? Huh
#22
Protects the car from it, and i'm sure i read on one of the particular cans it kills it.
But i've already proved my memory is shit..
Read up on this:
Waxoyl good?
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#23
Waxoyl certainly helps keep rust at bay (and claims to kill old rust) but just remember that it goes on fire really easily so if you spray it in before you weld the repair things could get exciting!
#24
http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/waxoyl.htm

Wow I didn't realise that it kills existing rust just knew it protected the metalwork from the elements. I def want my car coated but have to prepare myself for the smell again first lol
#25
I thought i wasn't losing my mind lol, thanks for confirming it for me!!
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#26
(16-08-2013, 05:28 AM)Rich306 Wrote: I thought i wasn't losing my mind lol, thanks for confirming it for me!!

No probs and I wasn't doubting you just genuinely didn't realise it killed existing rust
#27
(07-08-2013, 09:23 PM)Matt Wrote: Big f*ck off splatter of weld! Done

It's a spatter of weld. a spatter refers to something else....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
#28
I served my time as a welder on marine equipment and after welding we always applied a coat of vactan rust treatment, works really well and can be bought from eBay quite cheaply.....
If you have any problems getting it welded let me know and I can sort it for you... Also have some vactan here.....

Jamie
#29
I think I should hopefully have it sorted soon! just waiting for a day off with good weather to finish off the welding Smile
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
#30
I would of scrapped it, so fair play to you


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust conversion treatments / gel Mighty306 6 5,972 31-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Rust Treatment MY95 4 4,385 25-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Roof rust DM123 11 6,039 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)