Sly comments when you are working on your car?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sly comments when you are working on your car?
Heh, just thinking a few years ago, when I had my smash in in the snow and couldn't get the engine to startup, my car was stuck on the road and some punks walked by (about early 30s) and said "You've been working on that for two days str8 m8) I didn't say anything, but with the freezing cold weather and the fact that I had been starring at the engine bay for 2 days straight (anyone who knows me knows the harder something gets the harder I push) I was envisaging cracking one of them over the head with the ratchetAngry

As they walked on one of them said "probably not even worth fixing", I don't know whether I was supposed to hear that or not but I was this close to running up behind them and bopping one of them on the back of the head. I am not normally that highly strung but my hands were freezing, I was tired, my back was killing me from leaning over the engine and I was fresh outta ideas.

Anyone got any tales "from the darkside" about similar situations they've been in? Even working on the driveway I feel self conscious nowadays, I wish there was somewhere I could hide and work, maybe when I get a flat I can get a unit (although you are technically not supposed to work in them, everyone does).
Thanks given by:
You need to chill out mate.
Who cares what anyone thinks
Thanks given by:
Smart comments get smarter replies, something along the lines of "once I've got this fixed I won't be the mug walking in the snow" or "I'd rather own a shit car than get the bus"
Thanks given by:
"Oh P*ss of grasshopper" tends to work
Thanks given by:
BUS WANKEERRRRRR

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Puggy, you're not normally highly strung!? lol

I get comments about permanently broken cars (apparently even modifying counts as broken to most people), but tbh I just ignore them, why does it matter, what would twatting the person over the head achieve?

I do agree with you about working outside though, I hate it, over exposed, loads of people can see/hear you. And I live on a corner...with nosey neighbours both sides so can't away! I find myself trying to drag the trolley jack quietly ffs lol.

But I've got over that issue anyway, I just don't bother fixing it until absolutely necessary now. Confused
Thanks given by:
Im forever getting the pikey kids near my mums commenting on how much I work on the car, as that's where the majority of the work gets done. I usually just tell them to do one and mind their own business! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I got it all time on my street when i had 306 there wasnt a day that went by that i was out side doing something. But i just had a laff about what they say, then a few weeks pass and most of street are coming asking me to help them on there cars. what goes around comes around Wink

Thanks given by:
I never give a crap, I'm the one driving this beast... They're not!
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
There was this new little girl, must have been about four, i was working on the car and she walked past and said to her mum: "look mummy, his cars broken again"

Actually it was still broken from when they walked past three days prior lol
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I don't know if it's the same for everyone but I tend to get a lot of stick about it sounding like a tractor / smoking like a train - standard XUD life I guess!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I don't seem to get anything like that. I've had the neighbours talk to me while doing stuff but that's usually asking what I'm up to or saying that I take care of it. Even random people it's usually something positive. Possibly something to do with being surrounded by heavy metal objects though lol

I even broke my old car in the street, which was there for a month and the ph3 was parked up for a fair time while I was sorting the turbo. We get on with everyone though so I guess that helps.
Thanks given by:
Meh; get/got this all the time with the 205 from strangers, friends as family. So far, I've won myself a breakfast and a lot of shocked faces.
Be happy with yourself, not what others think.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I've never had any comments, perhaps the people round my way are just nice??

To be fair anyone thats ever owned a car and taken it to a garage will appreciate the cost involved , and would wish they could do the work themselves cos it saves and absolute fortune !!
Thanks given by:
I was cleaning the car the other day and after I had finished cleaning my dads' Insignia outside his house (hosepipe access) I moved my car there and parked his at the other end of the cul-de-sac.

This couple in their 40's were visiting one of my neighbors and drove up the cul-de-sac, couldn't get parked and had to park at the other end (where parking is in abundance)

As they walked back past me cleaning my car the bloke said "He's clearly not disabled" as the bay outside my folks house is a disabled space.

Well no, of course I'm not? But you couldn't have parked there anyway? So what the actual f*ck?

I just said very loudly "Sorry what was that?!"

And I could just hear his wife saying "just leave it Brian..." lol

I mean, c'mon! His wife had to calm him down about it!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 08:23 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Puggy, you're not normally highly strung!? lol

I get comments about permanently broken cars (apparently even modifying counts as broken to most people), but tbh I just ignore them, why does it matter, what would twatting the person over the head achieve?

I do agree with you about working outside though, I hate it, over exposed, loads of people can see/hear you. And I live on a corner...with nosey neighbours both sides so can't away! I find myself trying to drag the trolley jack quietly ffs lol.

But I've got over that issue anyway, I just don't bother fixing it until absolutely necessary now. Confused

Oh yeah tom, I forgot to mention, in real life where a person could knock me on my back with one punch I tend to hold back a bit moreBlush But this time I was considering a confrontation (maybe not hitting him though).

At the time I was doing strength training so I was really pumped up and felt like I could have taken them. Okay that bit is not true. Everywhere seems so exposed nowadays!

I wish I could get my car round the back of the house!

(18-07-2013, 07:57 AM)Stephen Wrote: You need to chill out mate.
Who cares what anyone thinks

It was the fact that I was already at rock bottom more than anything.

(18-07-2013, 08:56 AM)samass Wrote: There was this new little girl, must have been about four, i was working on the car and she walked past and said to her mum: "look mummy, his cars broken again"

Actually it was still broken from when they walked past three days prior lol

Heh, yeah the exact same thing happened when I got it back on the driveway from my smash in. Had it up on ramps and some girl/boy said "Look, he's working on his car again" to their mum and she was like "Yeah it's a right mess isn't it". And no, I didn't think about twatting the kid or the mumBig Grin

(18-07-2013, 09:06 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I don't seem to get anything like that. I've had the neighbours talk to me while doing stuff but that's usually asking what I'm up to or saying that I take care of it. Even random people it's usually something positive. Possibly something to do with being surrounded by heavy metal objects though lol

I even broke my old car in the street, which was there for a month and the ph3 was parked up for a fair time while I was sorting the turbo. We get on with everyone though so I guess that helps.

I think it's where you live more than anything. If it's a quiet area full of middle class snobs then you are likely to cop it whereas if they are more friendly and normal people then you are likely to get shown interest and chattyness.
Thanks given by:
I get the usual laughs and stuff and people giving disgusted looks when I drive past but I put that down to the amount pc smoke. Heard few what a shed when at lights, a 2nd gear start while there waiting to.cross soon cheers me up however.

GGuy over road is always moaning about me parking there as its less distance to carry stuff. sick of seeing other. So I just said I'm sick of seeing your poverty spec punt out of my window so it makes a nice change. Then resume the noise so I can't hear him moaning on.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
chillax. as said, who cares, if you do, buy a Golf.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol. Try owning a car like mine. Abuse and adulation are standard occurrances.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Remember that old guy in my village chris? He got all excited about the car and came to have a look. And the lad in kendal who asked if he could take a picture lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
All comments I get are along the lines of "are you sure you know what your doing?" "do you need any help? " blah blah... The look of death causes them to run quickly before they catch on fire Wink
Thanks given by:
Heh, got to admit, an attractive female working on a car would be a rare sightSmile
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 12:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: chillax. as said, who cares, if you do, buy a Golf.
No, for the love of God don't buy a golf. As Tom proved they are just as unreliable as a 306 and a much bigger PITA to fix.

(18-07-2013, 01:15 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Remember that old guy in my village chris? He got all excited about the car and came to have a look. And the lad in kendal who asked if he could take a picture lol
TBH with your village I'm surprised they don't take pictures of EVERY car. Must be a shock to people in the dark ages to see shiny fast things.
Thanks given by:
But my car is neither shiny nor fast?
Thanks given by:
Only issues I've had with neighbours was at the exes house, road surrounded by old people who just didn't appreciate me firing up the truck tub every morning for work. It was a souped up death trap apparently lmao
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 02:14 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Only issues I've had with neighbours was at the exes house, road surrounded by old people who just didn't appreciate me firing up the truck tub every morning for work. It was a souped up death trap apparently lmao

Souped up death trap lmao

God. Not heard that since I lived with my parents hahaha
Thanks given by:
I get shit all the time, always playing with something. Even had a traffic warden asking me if the car actually moves as I'm always working on it in the same place haha

Soon showed him it does, and coaled like f*ck haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 11:06 AM)306Puggy Wrote: I think it's where you live more than anything. If it's a quiet area full of middle class snobs then you are likely to cop it whereas if they are more friendly and normal people then you are likely to get shown interest and chattyness.

Because those that are affording proper track day cars/kit cars are those living on benefits.. oh wait, no they're not, they're the middle class looking for thrills at weekends.

From my experience; i reguarly have a fairly middle class business owner who regularly chats to me about my car with keen interest, and on the contrary, many of the locals, not the classiest of people, despise and often complain about it.

And middle class snobs? /facepalm. Don't get me started on classifying society.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Cleaning the car earlier today in fact! Got the look of death and tut tut from some mum with a buggy, what a bitch!

I was only taking up half the path...
Thanks given by:
Why the hell are you still fuming about something that happened years ago? Let go of it and chill out dude, there's a lot of people out there who say stupid offensive shit without thinking (you do it all the time for starters Wink ), can't let it get to you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: