EGT gauge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGT gauge
I would really like to fit a digital EGT gauge, OEM style in the dash, bit like the one cully done for his boost.

I can find a digital screen cheap...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-DC-Tem...3a678715cb

but is 1000degrees enough and the K type thermocouple input, this would work ok with it??:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGT-EXHAUST-GA...2a23f49073
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
should be fine, as long as you only want to read up to 1000 degrees
Thanks given by:
surely above 1000 is bad though...so hitting max would tell me to stop being so heavy with the go pedal?

secondly:

with gearbox mounted turbo, it brings me the doubt as where is best for the probe?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
At the collector in the mani tbh. How are you relocating your turbo? A flanged pipe on standard mani or equal length runners round to the turbo?

Ideally you want two, one pre-turbo and one at the exhaust mani to keep an eye on the head temps
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah was thinking that.

standard mani, flange, pipe to turbo.

was thinking of using the egr hole in the manifold then put one just after turbo on the downpipe
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Stick one at the collector on the exhaust mani and one as close to the turbo as you can, PRE turbo. No point in having one after the turbo.
Thanks given by:
whats the point in having one just pre turbo if theres one in the mani?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because you want to know the temps heading into the turbo to know if you're cooking it. On a normal setup you want it in the mani just before the turbo. With your setup, you can measure temps just as they exit the head, and just as they enter the turbo. That way you know how hot your head is getting AND how hot your turbo is getting too.

Even 60-70cm of pipe can throw off your EGT's going into the blower, could be anything up to a couple of hundred degrees out.
Thanks given by:
coolio....I be on that soon!

Repd Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'd have it wherever the collector is, that way you have a good average... Right at the head is a fail, unless you have amazing manis you'll end up with one cylinder hotter due to dodgy afrs across all 4...

Right before the turbo is also a recipe for fail as you could be cooking the head but turbo is fine...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: