ABS and MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABS and MOT
So...

whats the requirments in a nut shell....?

Is it like the airbags now where they have to be there and the light must not be showing etc

Or as I remember that just the ABS light needs to illuminate and go off when ignition is turned on?

I ask RE: rally/track car.

ta...

opinions too welcome...sort of Angel
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This was posted up before from a manual

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/SN...20V1.0.pdf

Look at the top of page 4 it explains abit about testing modified for purpose cars so track, rally etc
Thanks given by:
Thanks...that doesnt say it covers ABS...

but further down it does say this:

"ABS warning lamp sequence check is no longer necessary and the RfR for ABS warning lamp not following the correct sequence of operation has been removed."

so...they dont even need a ABS light now?!

rep'd for the link by the way
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
all i have done in the past if i have had a dodgy air bag light etc... is hook it up to the engine managment light so it comes on and goes of Itwasntme

saying that my dads car for the last 9 years has had a piece of black tape over the the airbag light and has always passed the mot ( mind u we have a very understanding tester doesnt worry to much about emissions etc..)
Thanks given by:
ABS belongs in the bin tbqfhwy. No ABS, no lamp, no confusion.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I wana bin my ABS.

Wondering if I put a timed light in for MOT test b of it pass? !
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 12:20 PM)Piggy Wrote: I wana bin my ABS.

Wondering if I put a timed light in for MOT test b of it pass? !
thats why i have hooked them up to ecu light or glow plug lights give you the timed light just cut the fed to the abs light and bridge it to the light your gonna use all on the back of the speedo simples
Thanks given by:
Judging by the new mot rules unless you have a specifically modified car like in that link I put up so rally / track etc so cage buckets harness etc so modified for purpose. If you remove stuff it won't pass as there now looking for what was fitted as standard on the car or so I'm led to believe anyhow
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 05:17 PM)Blandy Wrote: Judging by the new mot rules unless you have a specifically modified car like in that link I put up so rally / track etc so cage buckets harness etc so modified for purpose. If you remove stuff it won't pass as there now looking for what was fitted as standard on the car or so I'm led to believe anyhow

Unless they have a build sheet of every car that left the factory they'll have a hard time proving it.

Stupid rule anyway. If one car can pass an MOT with no ABS, any car should be able to pass.
Thanks given by:
Apparently it'll come up on the computer when the put in the reg. I don't know personally just relaying what seems to be said on every forum of late same with cats etc aparently even if it can pass a emission test with decat it will still fail mot as it should technically have a cat as it was fitted as standard according to recent thread on gti6 forum. Either way i dnt like it lol
Thanks given by:
It may well say "A 306 gti6 came with ABS as standard" but who's to say yours did from the factory? Could have been a customer request not to fit it. It's an arguing point anyway, unless they see the specific data sheet for that exact VIN they'd have a hard time proving something should be there that isn't. ABS isn't a legal requirement anyway, whereas a cat would be. I've seen advisories for things like "coilovers fitted" which is just being really really anal. Surely you should then get one for any pattern parts. 99% of cars would have a three page advisory sheet with non-OEM backbox, non-OEM bushes, non-OEM dipstick, non-OEM wheels, non-OEM bulbs etc.

Suppose it's just a good time to get to know your MOT tester, hey?
Thanks given by:
End of the day, it's down to testers discretion.

And that means that ANYTHING will pass, just gotta find the right tester Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 08:33 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: End of the day, it's down to testers discretion.

And that means that ANYTHING will pass, just gotta find the right tester Big Grin

I've found him, off to see him tomorrow ninja
Thanks given by:
That link says don't even need to test the bulb anymore so can't see why they even look for the module!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: