Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6
f*ck me that is dirty...! I thought you were joking when you said it hadn't been cleaned!!

Man up!
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lol thanks for the love guys!

I know they look a bit... different in the car, but I really like them actually. I find them pretty comfy, and they are heaps better when pushing on...

Ideally I'd have loved a black set, but I really couldn't be picky at the price I picked them up for! At the end of the day, buckets is buckets!

I really do need to strip the back end now though!

And man satchel is manly. The end.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Ahh, so tempted to go down the buckets/dished wheel and stripped rear route. Especially with the lack of cars worth upgrading to for under £xxxxx.

I've not driven a car with buckets/harnesses before, what's it like to live with day to day e.g. reverse parking, do you have to unbuckle or is there enough movement to look out the rear?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 08:52 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: Ahh, so tempted to go down the buckets/dished wheel and stripped rear route. Especially with the lack of cars worth upgrading to for under £xxxxx.

I've not driven a car with buckets/harnesses before, what's it like to live with day to day e.g. reverse parking, do you have to unbuckle or is there enough movement to look out the rear?

Horrific. Don't expect it to be comfortable, reversing is a bitch, any form of reaching anywhere whilst harnessed just isn't gonna happen, don't expect it to be quiet especially if you do any distance driving..

But my god it is fun
Thanks given by:
Lol I've been tempted for ages, but wanted to stay oem until recently! They're not that bad imo. You want to have the straps pretty tight or they can be dangerous but I way prefer it like that. You feel so much more held in and are able to control the car better I find as you're not bracing yourself in the seat!

I'm not your average 'daily' user I would imagine, as I don't really do a motorway commute or anything, it's all fun roads so I don't find them as much of a chore to live with daily as some would. However with reverse parking, you either use your mirrors or unbuckle. I can't even reach the door to close it if I'm buckled in which has provided no end of amusement for my boss who thinks I'm mad!

They're not as soft as normal seats but I find the driving position great and basically I love them even daily Big Grin

I'd go for it tbh man, I'm stripping mine too come summer!
Thanks given by:
This thread needs more pics, so I found these from the first weekend of faffing.

"look at all the cars"

Fooby trying to undo a seatbolt, awkwardly

Ed taking advantage of the vulnerable Fooby

Sexy bum shot

[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Hahaha! I completely forgot about those photos! Particularly the one of me aggressively intruding fooby Tongue

Thanks Sam Smile

Small update on this, I'm still getting a clonk when reversing into my parking space. It's only on left lock it would seem. It also happens if I try to make the noise either by braking hard or by rolling backwards on a hill and then braking hard... I'm at a bit of a loss really, I thought it might be the ball joint pinch bolt not being tight enough so I torqued the arse out of it weds night and it's still not solved it...

I got under the car this morning briefly and noticed my cv boots look a bit odd by comparison between both sides;

http://db.tt/VG6c7Pe4
http://db.tt/Jv17KAMj

By comparison to the other side;

http://db.tt/Liofo1pS

And the passenger side gearbox boot;

http://db.tt/F0D10fBz

Does that look right to you guys?
Thanks given by:
Could be driveshaft starting to go or could be a brake calliper. My ones on the gti were terrible. Really rattled but lucky I had the ones from the 1.8.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Check your adjustable droplinks, mine did the same after I fitted them and they weren't done up tight enough and there was a tiny bit of movement. Enough to make a small knock if you grabbed the arb and pulled it up and down.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Mine does it on Passenger side, think my CV has play in it... Getting a new shaft and CV fitted soon!
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So I assume cause of the snow, the mechanic I was going to see yesterday wasn't in. Helpful as he didn't call me or anything, so when I showed up at 12:30, I just found his gate locked. Brilliant...

Anyway, I went home, and seeing as I had a couple of hours of sunshine, I thought I'd get out and have a look myself.

SO

I changed the map sensor back to the original one that was on the car, and changed back to the original TPS, and then swapped the stock top engine mount cradle for the bbm one.

Out of interest, when I took the engine cradle off, the bbm mount was pretty loose. It was tighened into the bolt, but could rock backwards and forwards with relative ease. I then undid it to find a large washer underneath the mount (I can only assume it was there when I put it in originally??).

It looks a little like the mount is starting to break up too...
Anyways, the washer had been shaped (no doubt from the engine rocking back and forth), and was therefore preventing a good tight fit of the mount to the car so I left it off when re-assembling.

Pics of the mount, and the washer:

It actually feels heaps better with the bbm cradle, and believe it or not that clonk has gone...?!

It feels heaps better with the old sensors back on too. Still a bit engine-brakey and a little jerky coming off the throttle, but strangely much better than it was. I don't know if this is just due to the map sensor being completely shot and the ecu relying on the other sensors for readings to run, or if it was my old engine loom all along... either way, I'll chuck it on pug planet when I get back from work later and see what's what
Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 09:53 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: So I assume cause of the snow, the mechanic I was going to see yesterday wasn't in. Helpful as he didn't call me or anything, so when I showed up at 12:30, I just found his gate locked. Brilliant...

Anyway, I went home, and seeing as I had a couple of hours of sunshine, I thought I'd get out and have a look myself.

SO

I changed the map sensor back to the original one that was on the car, and changed back to the original TPS, and then swapped the stock top engine mount cradle for the bbm one.

Out of interest, when I took the engine cradle off, the bbm mount was pretty loose. It was tighened into the bolt, but could rock backwards and forwards with relative ease. I then undid it to find a large washer underneath the mount (I can only assume it was there when I put it in originally??).

It looks a little like the mount is starting to break up too...
Anyways, the washer had been shaped (no doubt from the engine rocking back and forth), and was therefore preventing a good tight fit of the mount to the car so I left it off when re-assembling.

Pics of the mount, and the washer:

It actually feels heaps better with the bbm cradle, and believe it or not that clonk has gone...?!

It feels heaps better with the old sensors back on too. Still a bit engine-brakey and a little jerky coming off the throttle, but strangely much better than it was. I don't know if this is just due to the map sensor being completely shot and the ecu relying on the other sensors for readings to run, or if it was my old engine loom all along... either way, I'll chuck it on pug planet when I get back from work later and see what's what

Could you feel the clonk Under your feet before? Iv had a mystery clonk on my pug for over a year now Sad bottom arms, hubs, shocks and topmounts, lower engine mount and drop links have all been changed Sad
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 09:53 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: It feels heaps better with the old sensors back on too. Still a bit engine-brakey and a little jerky coming off the throttle, but strangely much better than it was. I don't know if this is just due to the map sensor being completely shot and the ecu relying on the other sensors for readings to run, or if it was my old engine loom all along... either way, I'll chuck it on pug planet when I get back from work later and see what's what

I have similar symptoms but I'm not sure if it's just 'the way they are'. Sometimes it feels like there is a lot of engine braking, as in the speed will drop even when going down a pretty steep hill, other times it will seem to run much better.

It's also a bit jerky coming off throttle at low speeds, I know my ICV is a bit iffy so I'm going to try that first. I figured when the throttle is closed the engine is relying on air from the ICV to run so if it's sticky,slow,malfunctioning it could cause jerkiness??

Other than that throttle response is good and no flat spots so makes me think it's not TPS or MAP?

Just some thoughts, let me know if you find anything on PP.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Righto, quick update on the running issue... it's not the map or tps. Felt heaps better when I changed both back to the original ones on the car (Swapped due to believing they were faulty). Now a week later it feels shit again.

To add to it, the clonk is back, the front-end feels vague, and the n/s front inner brake pad has worn to the metal.

And my nsf spec2 is hideously close to the central wear markers.... :S

SOOOOOO

Because I've got OCD when it comes to problems with the car, I've created a list of jobs and associated time to complete them for the coming bank holiday weekend.....

FRIDAY
Spark plugs - 45minutes
Fuel filter - 10minutes 1h total
Brakes - 2hours 3h total
Gear oil - 20minutes 3 1.2h total
fit catch tank - 1h 4 1/2h total

SATURDAY
Re-set adjustable droplinks - 1h
Fit Oil Cooler + Filter??? - 1h 2h total
?? Strip interior & swap alloys(1.5h)??? 3.5h total
Clean car! - 3-4hs? ~7h total

SUNDAY - A Day of rest Smile

MONDAY -
Topmounts - 3-4h

Hopefully off the back of that I'll be in a position to get it an early MOT in mid-april, and address anything pressing off the back of that. But fingers crossed the above should cover the main things and significantly sharpen everything up!!
Thanks given by:
Have you run all of this by Scott?

Sounds good though!
Thanks given by:
might come down to yours that weekend and do some work on my car if thats cool? Can help you with your top mounts then.
Thanks given by:
No worries buddy get on down! Text me which days you're coming down? And bring your buzz gun and compressor yeah?! Xx
Thanks given by:
Can do but dont blame me when you receive a noise ASBO lol
Thanks given by:
Ed I just saw your car int he photo for fcs thread, and though f*cking hell, it does look really really nice!! an excellent example of a 306.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Regards to the clonk; you're problems sound identicle to mine, i had this, from here it started shaking like a wheel bearing, and from there, the whole car shaking - took about 6 months from clonk to shake.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 02:24 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Regards to the clonk; you're problems sound identicle to mine, i had this, from here it started shaking like a wheel bearing, and from there, the whole car shaking - took about 6 months from clonk to shake.

Shaking like that, surely that would be driveshaft? Was yours definitely a wheel bearing?

My old dt had a fubard driveshaft. Didnt make any clonking noises, but shook like fook when I was in 2nd and 3rd. Like so much you could see water beading shaking about on the bonnet in 2nd!!

I do have a small knobshake in 2nd at lower rpms atm...

(26-03-2013, 02:11 PM)Dave Wrote: Ed I just saw your car int he photo for fcs thread, and though f*cking hell, it does look really really nice!! an excellent example of a 306.

Cheers Dave Smile Really appreciate it man Smile just wish it was mechanically a good example of a 306!! Work in progress haha! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 02:51 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(26-03-2013, 02:24 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Regards to the clonk; you're problems sound identicle to mine, i had this, from here it started shaking like a wheel bearing, and from there, the whole car shaking - took about 6 months from clonk to shake.

Shaking like that, surely that would be driveshaft? Was yours definitely a wheel bearing?

My old dt had a fubard driveshaft. Didnt make any clonking noises, but shook like fook when I was in 2nd and 3rd. Like so much you could see water beading shaking about on the bonnet in 2nd!!

I do have a small knobshake in 2nd at lower rpms atm...

Sorry, should have expanded - yes, i've diagnosed it (amongst info on here) it being the driveshaft, the CV joint seized up.
Get's a lot worse once warmed up, and yeh, i had gear shaking through top end of 3rd. now the whole car shakes no matter what, but only when pressure (power) is applied
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Hmmn.. Well if you look at the photo from my dropbox ( think it's linked near the bottom of the last page), it shows the driveshaft boot on the drivers side is pretty squashed...

Might be a good idea to replace my lower engine mount for the bbm one at the same time as doing both shafts....
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 02:51 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: I do have a small knobshake

I bet you do Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Trust you Dum Tongue

Looking forward to the weekend now!! I bought some nuts and bolts for the coilovers and topmounts, and they fit. And I've also checked and the top-nuts on the coilovers should come off without a buzz gun which is a blessing! I just hope the new nylocs go back on ok!!

BIG hit list for the car this weekend, and I'm properly keen to get cracking on it so watch this space! Smile
Thanks given by:
SOOOOOOoooooo!!

The day didn't all go quite as planned!

It wasn't too bad though all said and done Smile I got to my gran's a little late, had a cuppa with her, then disappeared off to the garage to crack on with the car.

Parts at the beginning of the day:

So the details;

1. Fuel filter changed

2. Rear seats and boot lining removed (going to be putting at least the boot lining back in tomorro; it's too loud pottering around, and too tempting to rag it for the pure epicness of the noise on full chat!)

3. Removed, cleaned and regreased the coilovers and top-mounts (the topmount bearings were very tight, no play in them at all which i good though. I'll still be changing them tomorrow for the Baker units however; more adjustability FTW!! Tongue )
Obligatory Photo of Baker units:    

4. Re-set the adjustable drop-links

5. changed my alloys ninja

6. Fitted Cully's resistors to finally put my airbag lights out!!!

One of the main reasons I'd made time for today and tomorrow was to sort out my front discs and pads. I had a horrid grinding noise from the nsf the other day and had a feel of the disc which appeared to be ridged. Now on taking both front wheels off, there appears to be plenty of life still left in the pads, and the discs though there's a bit of a lip forming on the inside of both discs...

I'll be keeping the replacements for a while yet then it seems!!

Tomorrow's work includes the following;

1. Spark plugs
2. Fit Catch-tank
3. Fit Baker Top-mounts
4. Change gearoil
5. POSSIBLY fit my oil cooler, but not sure... bit cold for normal driving!

Sorry for the shit picture quality, it was a bit cold and i couldn't stop shivering!!

I took it out for a drive at the end of the day. WOW I can't believe how much of a difference to the sharpness the turinis make. It's night and day!!

I still do have a lot of tramlining though, moreso than when I originally fitted the suspension upgrades last year. Another thing I noticed when I had the front of the car up on axle-stands is there is a knocking when shaking the wheel from side to side. I still have no idea what this could be, but I think it's between track-rod ends or steering rack. Either way, cheapest thing to change is the track-rods and I'll see if there's any improvement thereafter.

Another annoying thing i've noticed is the rear beam appears to have started to knock on the off-side... despite being refurbished only a year and half or so ago... That and I think the rear-beam mounts are on their way out too, as it sqeaks and rattles something tragic when turning left!!

Nevermind, slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say! Hopefully it'll be ready for FCS etc!
Thanks given by:
Tuwini friend! Does your oil cooler not have a thermostatic plate?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Fit the cooler if you got time. If it runs too cold just board it.

No more than an hours work on everything else.

Good progress though mate.
Thanks given by:
lol Niall! Yaaay! Tuwini friends Big Grin

Yep got a therosttic plate, but it did run lower than 90 when it was last on the diablo... Meh I'll fit it if i have time!! Tongue I DESPARATELY want to clean the friggin thing tomorow too!! Clean alloys on a dirty car isn't a good look! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Dude its astor, its supposed to be that dirty grey colour.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,798 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's Diablo HDi Stage 2 168bhp & 290lbsft Just Sean 383 136,163 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Poodle