Another brakes question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another brakes question
Right this summer I'm planning on overhauling the brakes on the estate I mean the copper brake pipes and flexi hoses and possibly the master cylinder aswell as the discs shoes and pads possibly change the callipers my questions are as follows I have 14 inch steel wheels but want to upgrade to clones when I have the funds right now for the questions

I want to either replace or upgrade the discs as I have no idea what size they are so

1) What size are my discs
2) what is the best upgrade for these
3) am I better to leave mynater cylinder as is or upgrade if upgrade then to what

I will most likely be making my copper brake pipes myself so for the flexis am I better getting new standard ones or is there a better option

Thanks guys
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
If your estate is a DT they will be 247mm if its an HDI then 266

Best upgrade would be to GTI brakes which are 283 and can be found pretty cheap these days. You will need at least 15'' wheels to clear the brakes though!

You don't have to change the MC but it's beneficial too.

I changed my Dt brakes to Gtis and it made a massive difference. I didn't change the MC and found they still worked really well.

Apparently the only difference is if you don't change it there will be more travel in the brake pedal, so will be sharper if you change it!

Hope this helps!
Thanks given by:
Get better pads but they will be fine with standard disks of whatever size brake you decide to run. My guess would be that you have 247mm currently as its a non turbo 1.9. So either the hdi or gti brakes should see an improvement. Especially with a decent set of pads on.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys ill have to get me some bigger wheels then first before I get any brake parts by the sound of it
Thanks given by:
Just wondering why you're planning on doing all the copper pipes etc as well as the master cylinder? Unless you actually have an issue with your brakes after changing the fluid, discs and pads, you're unlikely to see any benefit at all for a fair bit of work and money spent....

Personally, I'd get decent oem replacement parts, change the brake fluid and leave it at that.

There will be more pedal modulation if you keep the stock master cylinder and upgrade to Gti calipers, which I think is actually better than the gti mc, as I feel it's actually a bit grabby sometimes...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
What's the best way to change the brake fluid on one of these mate
Thanks given by:
bleed it out. start at the brake furthest away and bleed it through till you get clear fluid through then do it to the other 3 working from furthest to closest.
As ed said, they are steel pipes on these so unless there is any signs of damage, you will not get any gains. In fact, if anything you will cause problems by replacing all of it!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cool thanks for the advice on the pipes I won't change them ill put fresh discs and pads on and change the fluid then

Thanks all
Thanks given by:
If youve got the money to spend and just want to freshen them up, refurb callipers (iirc 30 quid for a front kit and 25 for the rear), new pads and discs and new flexi hoses
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Got a problem guys you guys said I should have 247mm discs on the front but eurocarparts say I should have 266mm according to the website with my reg number put in so help what do I do lol don't want to have to take the wheel off to find out
Thanks given by:
Get a picture. Gonna be hard for anyone to tell you exactly on here!

Or just measure it across the alloy
Thanks given by:
Ill have to take the wheel off to find out can't see my discs still running in steelies atm
Thanks given by:
Changing the flexies gives a massive increase in positive pedal feel, so worth it, and new pipes cost f*ck all anyway
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna order new flexi's as soon as I work out what size discs I have on her
Thanks given by:
I say go to gsf with your reg, euroshitparts are more likely to get it wrong

Thanks given by:
This is what eurocarparts say is right

[Image: 571A4AE4-2563-44D0-8927-DFB07BEDC145-733...106723.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fair nuff man, I've often had issues with them giving the wrong stuff, their database must be shot or somethong.

Go into the guides section, log onto service box, bash in your vin, and then have a look thru that, then you'll know for sure and you'll get a part number you can phone any auto factors with

Thanks given by:
Ill try that reason I ask is when I first asked most people said I would have 247mm discs but ecp say 266mm and when I ordered discs and pads for my old golf they sent me pads for a Volvo
Thanks given by:
Yeah that'd the thing, you can never be 100% sure without looking, cuz pug chopped and changed what they put on what! That'd also the downside of ordering online as opposed to going into the shop

Thanks given by:
Tried gsf website found this

[Image: 13237467-5968-4A8B-91F1-F1163A162AAB-733...05d0ca.jpg]

So how can I tell if I have abs or not
Thanks given by:
Open your bonnet, have a look on the passenger side at the front of the car, you'll see the abs pump of you have it, a silver block with four brake lines going into it. If there's a gap behind the headlight, then no abs

Thanks given by:
Ok thanks mate ill look in morning
Thanks given by:
Wouldnt try change brake lines unless you really have to just had to do my rears due to warn threads on the unions and trying to flare the standard steel pipe isn't easy.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
I'm just gonna do the flexi hoses because I have one that's starting to crack so last thing I want is it to burst one so I'm gonna change the front ones when I do discs and pads they were advisors on the mot along with the brake hose
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standard Brakes Question Kezzieboy 18 2,179 14-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Brakes question DanWY 24 5,580 24-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: DanWY