Semi-dead dials

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-dead dials
Had the car out for a rag the other day, I pushed her a bit harder than I do normally and when I lifted off to change gear the dials juddered down to zero. They went back to normal immediately after doing that, except the rev counter which is sat as if the engine is idling. I thought it was just the signal from the crank that was the problem, but when i next drove the car none of the dash instruments work at all, not even the odo. Except the water temp gauge and warning lights, which are apparently fine. Hmm

Even stranger, the clock and temp display has also died, along with the RCL and courtesy lights. Although the back-lighting for the dash still works fine... So very confused, anyone got any suggestions?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
fuses/earths/connections on the back of the clocks?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I have a very similar problem. Started after I'd had the dash out though so probably something I've done.

My rev dial was bouncing up and down like crazy even at steady revs! That fixed itself after about a week, and now I'm just left with the milometer bit not lighting up and the top of the Speedo dial.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Leave it and enjoy motoring that doesn't add o the cars mileage?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Firstly, check fuses as one of them will be blown - I think it's fuse 11 for Phase 3 but really can't recall (bottom row, 1 in from right). I had exactly this a few months ago in the Rallye, it happened starting the car for the first time after the engine swap.

Look at whichever fuse controls the time clock and you'll find your man. If it's not that, you may need to pull the shunt fuse, marked SH in the in-car fuse box. Smile

I made the mistake of checking it and thinking it was ok, but it failed continuity - took me a while to go back and check them again foolishly, had wasted ages checking all the bay earths convinced i'd made a cock-up on the engine change.

I had this:

[Image: IMAG0370.jpg]

Simply changing a fuse gave me this:

[Image: IMAG0350.jpg]
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ahah, looks and sounds exactly like my problem, thanks fella. Will also have a look round the connections and earths to be sure, just noticed there's a bunch of wires hanging near the accelerator and i may have caught one with my boot.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Turned out to be the fuse, cheers!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No prob, easy when you've had the exact same problem. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: