Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6
If you want to stick it on the ramp and track it up etc give me a shout mate.
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Have you tried driving while lying on the bonnet to listen for the clonk and hear exactly where it's coming from?
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 02:18 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Have you tried driving while lying on the bonnet to listen for the clonk and hear exactly where it's coming from?

Have you tried talking your thoughts through out loud to yourself before dumping them on the forum?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Ill drive you lay on the bonnet Ed!! Duh

Lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 02:18 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Have you tried driving while lying on the bonnet to listen for the clonk and hear exactly where it's coming from?

Probably a good idea. I have a knocking on mine. No idea where it's from though......
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
There is just no one on this forum who I trust enough to drive my car whilst I sit on the bonnet...
And it only does it under heavy braking or changes of direction, and I'm not getting my bonnet all scratched up from someone sliding around on the bonnet whilst I do the btcc weave to find out where the clonk is!!
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 03:16 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Have you tried talking your thoughts through out loud to yourself before dumping them on the forum?
Nope, apparently only mad people talk to themselves.

(30-12-2012, 06:02 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: There is just no one on this forum who I trust enough to drive my car whilst I sit on the bonnet...
And it only does it under heavy braking or changes of direction, and I'm not getting my bonnet all scratched up from someone sliding around on the bonnet whilst I do the btcc weave to find out where the clonk is!!

I suspect this is the real reason you dont want to try my incredibly helpful idea.
Have you considered removing the bonnet, it would give the person who listens more things to hold on to.
Thanks given by:
Lol tbh I'm going to be changing changing the engine mounts fairly soon anyway, and I need to do the lower mount when Ruan pulls his finger out and gets it pressed.. Tongue and ill be replacing the hubs at the same time, probably with refurbed drive shafts... Then it should be gone!
Thanks given by:
Are you serious? Who the f*ck would sit on the bonnet just to work out a suspension knock?

You can check every single front suspension component with your hands and a bar in about 5 minutes!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Evening all!

Slight update.

I went up to Ruans this weekend to help him strip the engine out of his old dt. Manages to sort that largely today and yesterday, bit had a bit of time in the afternoon to get my car up in the air.

The diagnosis of the clonk is definitely an ovled hub. Just my bloody luck, ill have to replace that and the wishbone due to the ball joints potentially being damaged again.
Also whilst leaving the release bearing sounds noisy too so ill have to replace the gear oil pretty soon! And the lower engine mount...

So I need to get all the parts together pretty swiftly as I don't want to leave it for long.... It's not exactly ideal to drive as it is!!

I'm also naughtily tempted by a few ninja parts, but these will remain under wraps for the time being...!
Thanks given by:
Not the release bearing, gearbox oil aint gonna fix that, but it is the input shaft bearing whining... My DT box does it, I know a few GTI6 boxes that do it also!! Not that bad yet though, just change the oil and should all be good...

Cheers for your help though buddy!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Why change the whole wishbone? Just bang a new ball joint on. Maz's kitchen isnt going to pay for its self. you need to save your money Tongue
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Riveted through though init?

I've never managed to cut one off without wrecking the wishbone...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
they are but the meyle ones you can easily drill through and knock the head off
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I've got ones with securing bolts you can unscrew...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
TBH if i had the choice, id have bolt in every day. Ive heard many a story of the rivvted ones coming loose and moving about in the wishbone making awful noises.

Infact, its said that the noise is so bad, its almost comparable to Eds suspension failure noise

OOOOOOWWWWWWWW
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 07:33 PM)Ruan Wrote: Not the release bearing, gearbox oil aint gonna fix that, but it is the input shaft bearing whining... My DT box does it, I know a few GTI6 boxes that do it also!! Not that bad yet though, just change the oil and should all be good...

Cheers for your help though buddy!

Thanks for clarifying matey. Tbh there's just no point in changing the gear oil until that bbm mount is pressed; so I can whang the ds out, drop the oil at the same time, change the mount, change the hub, change the wishbone, and then chuck it all back togher with the new gear oil. It'll be a couple of days faffing I reckon, and we'll probably need airtools to get the hubnuts off (?)

No worries at all on the weekend, sorry I was grumpy when tired, and sorry I fell asleep when you were talking about pre-cups Tongue Had a really great time, and I feel a bit better for at least knowing what one of the car's problems is now!

(06-01-2013, 07:38 PM)Niall Wrote: Why change the whole wishbone? Just bang a new ball joint on. Maz's kitchen isnt going to pay for its self. you need to save your money Tongue

lol!
Well I just got off the phone to Kris B, who reckons that the meyle balljoints are stronger than normal, and it might be worth running a vernier round them to check for damage? Is it even worth bothering, or is there a chance they wont be damaged? Bearing in mind the clonk has been occuring on and off since FCS last year.... :S

(06-01-2013, 08:15 PM)Poodle Wrote: I've got ones with securing bolts you can unscrew...

Might have to take you up on that... How hard would it be to put meyhle hd bushes and balljoints onto the body of the wishbone? I've only ever seen balljoints changed, never seen how easy/hard it is to change the bushes?

So in summary, my to do list/problems list is as follows;

1. change hub
2. change wishbone/balljoint (?)
3. change lower engine mount
4. Change gear oil
5. Exhaust blowing.... ninja
6. Check rear beam bolts (I'm getting a metallic squeaking noise from the rear when cornering)
7. this F**king rich running is doing my head in; I think I'm gonna need to give Niall some serious bumloving in exchange for pp'ing the car pretty soon, before I start throwing things at it. Like hammers. I've got another set of plugs, fuel filter, and working 2nd map and tps on their way to try soon, but I'm partially suspecting another f*cked lambda sensor tbh... Sad
Thanks given by:
Air tools on the hub nuts?

FFS you pussy lmao
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2013, 10:51 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Air tools on the hub nuts?

FFS you pussy lmao

In fairness I did Ruan's on the weekend without much bother at all, just assumed if mine haven't been apart in 125k they might be a little bit teasy without a hooter of a breaker bar, or an airgun..?
Thanks given by:
Just get a big ol' breaker bar and a dose of MTFU
Thanks given by:
Air gun just because its win.

Ed, there is a chance it hasnt mullered the ball joint. Instead of just going out and buying parts for the sake of it, take Kris' advice and check them out. Only takes 30 seconds.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall. I'll probably buy a set of replacement pinch bolts off swampy and try them with a new hub first...

In other news I think my replacement lambda was at fault as well. Unplugged it for the drive back from work and it's heaps better, not as boggy on gear changes and less fuelly. I'm hoping it was the lambda anyway, rather than one of those problems that just causes the car to s**t lambdas for fun....

I mean it's still not perfect, but I'm assuming that's just cause it's on a generic map, rather than taking live readings, and having a fresh lambda will solve this?

Next question; what lambda should I buy? Links would be appreciated cheers guys
Thanks given by:
Brand new Bosch or NTK lambda. Nothing else.

Dont get them from swampy. You can get them from ECP cheaper and they are the correct grade (not saying swampys arn't)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Buy once, buy genuine. Mine hated the pattern one, OE one sorted it right out.

And stop making it spit flames. Fire kills shit like lambdas. You chav.
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2013, 09:45 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Buy once, buy genuine. Mine hated the pattern one, OE one sorted it right out.

And stop making it spit flames. Fire kills shit like lambdas. You chav.

That'd be where I've been going wrong of late then.... Doh
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know what size the thread is which the oil filter screws onto? I've stupidly lost the male-female adapter that locates the mocal sandwich plate onto the oil filter thread, and need to get another sent out to me, but they want me to confirm thread size so they send the correct part out!

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Easy enough to change bushes and balljoints on wishbone bodies, just a bit of a ballache. Need a grinder, hacksaw and something burny, maybe an hours work each side, probably less as yours are quite new.

Must say, don't want to piss on your fire, but i'd be very impressed with the Meyle balljoints if they're ok after 6-months of being loose in the hub...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 03:26 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Ill drive you lay on the bonnet Ed!! Duh

Lol

Dan did this with one of our mates on the bonnet. Didn't end well!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ed, think the thread for the oil filter is m14. Can't remember the pitch tho...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Thanks Sam!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,791 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's Diablo HDi Stage 2 168bhp & 290lbsft Just Sean 383 136,134 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Poodle