Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Well I'm stumped
#1
Fitted hids at the weekend, by thursday one had stopped working. So today swapped the round to see if it was the ballets box or bulb that was faulty. Then both didnt work.

Now I have no headlights atall,
Checked the fuses, nothing blown. Checked the loom. Tried diffent bulbs nothing. Wtf have I done!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#2
Have you tried the normal bulbs again without the HIDs?
#3
Yeah swapped back to original bulbs. Still no luck, side lights work though :/ dipped doesn't, didn't try main haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#4
[Image: 145-321-large.jpg]
Captain Standard

#5
blown dip-dim resister? . . . .. . . . ..Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#6
Dim dip resister? Where is that?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#7
(18-08-2012, 02:46 PM)Matt Wrote: Dim dip resister? Where is that?

well in the phase 1's it's under the bonnet, behind the passenger headlight, clipped under a little sil inside the wing, metal and about 3" long and 1" thick . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#8
Hmmm if I go out and look for this and realise its not there and I've been trolled.... God help me
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#9
(18-08-2012, 02:58 PM)Matt Wrote: Hmmm if I go out and look for this and realise its not there and I've been trolled.... God help me

hahahahaha . . . . . you wouldn't be able to afford the petrol to mine anyway . .Tongue . . . no for once in my life i'm being serious, presuming later phases are the same . . .
when you turn your lights on first click does the headlight fade up from nothing usually? .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#10
Can't say I've ever noticed it. I'll have a look for the resister now

Found the bugger! Popped open the under bonnet fuse box and headlight fuses are blown both sides, stick a new fuse in both and only the pass side one works, swapped around hid wires, another fuse and it blows again. Don't know if it's the ballast box or bulb or I'm wiring it up wrong?

Stuck a 30 fuse in (meant to be 10) still didn't come on but started to smoulder lol so turned them off again. Shit :/
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#11
Fitted mine to my 306 without a single problem.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
#12
(18-08-2012, 04:28 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Fitted mine to my 306 without a single problem.

Helpful guy Smile
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
#13
lol ^^

Matt it sounds like they could be shitty units, not sure I'd bother with them to be honest!
#14
Yep it's totally f*cked. I took a hammer to it.

Going to buy some replacement ballast boxes, anyone recommend?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#15
I have some in the 406 you can have...if you can find it.
#16
(18-08-2012, 04:33 PM)JamesG Wrote:
(18-08-2012, 04:28 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Fitted mine to my 306 without a single problem.

Helpful guy Smile

Always go out my way to help Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
#17
Cheap HIDs are shit.....HIDs are shit full stop. Your a lady garden and I hate you.


Seriously, check all fuses (even the ones in the engine bay box) but I wouldn't be surprised if you had burnt out some wiring.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#18
Really Niall? Checked all the fuses now and put the drivers side one at fault lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#19
Possibly could of. These cheap shitty HIDs arnt the best. If they started drawing too much power (and this blown), could easily of burnt something out. Try putting the relays out of your xsi in

Oh you still tapping?
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#20
Not wrong with relays, just the two fuses that blew.



Yes I'm still tapping. Got some hydronic lifting sorter outer to stick in, stuck it in earlier, smelt horrible, made a slight improvement over 10miles lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#21
That stuff isn't great tbh and can loosen up a lot of crap that would of been better left alone! At least that head was acid cleaned tbh.
Worst case is we have to whip the cams out and put some new lifters in.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#22
(18-08-2012, 01:59 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: blown dip-dim resister? . . . .. . . . ..Smile

Phase 1 only iirc, post-1996 they were no longer a legal requirement
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
#23
Need a decent known working set of lifters first lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#24
What bulb fitment are your hid's as I have a complete set of known working H4s with ballasts and all wires taken from my ph1 - i can do them for £20 posted
#25
H7s bud, cheers anyway
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#26
(18-08-2012, 09:15 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(18-08-2012, 01:59 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: blown dip-dim resister? . . . .. . . . ..Smile

Phase 1 only iirc, post-1996 they were no longer a legal requirement

afaik they were just to stop you blowing bulbs by spiking voltage . .nowt' to do with any legal bejangle . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#27
Nopes, they were a legal requirement up to '96, just like how all new cars have to have DRL's fitted. It was an idea that was scrapped as sidelights became better quality, all the dim-dip does is bring on the dipped lights with about 1/6th of their normal voltage as a better road position indicator.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
#28
(19-08-2012, 11:09 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Nopes, they were a legal requirement up to '96, just like how all new cars have to have DRL's fitted. It was an idea that was scrapped as sidelights became better quality, all the dim-dip does is bring on the dipped lights with about 1/6th of their normal voltage as a better road position indicator.

ah ok a quick google confirms you are correct, they also fade the headlights up and if it blows render your dipped beam fubar . . .i know coz it's happened to me . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#29
I WON AN INTERNET BATTLE OF THE MINDS!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR0Q1Qq_PhgU5Ut8GQzT1...0b2ihPjc-g]
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
#30
(19-08-2012, 12:12 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: I WON AN INTERNET BATTLE OF THE MINDS!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR0Q1Qq_PhgU5Ut8GQzT1...0b2ihPjc-g]

congrats . . .you are a winner of sorts . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stumped paulw 2 2,076 19-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: paulw

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)