Toms306s Project - Fodge!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s Project - Fodge!
Ruan Wrote:
c.a.r. Wrote:The hoses on your oil catch tank look restrictive?

Also, oil catch tanks are for high-revving engines which occasionally let a bit of oil through. How high does the diesel rev in this thing exactly?!

Finally, those shoulder pads might well be comfortable but they are not always safe in an accident, whilst also making your car look like a pensioner-mobile...

Turbocharged engines are terrible for chucking out shedloads of breather gasses - understandable as you have pressure on the piston rings for 99% of the time - on an NA you have a fair amount of time where they're not under pressure during induction, not to mention the compression ratio of a Diesel... You'll usually find that on a Turbocharged diesel engines, if you adjust ANY of the stock breather system, it'll end up just spewing oil breather gas from everywhere, popping up it's dipstick rather than catching any of it in the catch tank.

There was loads of oil in the bodged catch tank when I took it off though!? Wish id left it there now. :/
Thanks given by:
Right....so the turbos ready to come off now..........last part is the turbo oil feed that I can't seem to remove...any ideas how to get it off? A spanner won't fit between the two halfs of the turbo...so what am I supposed to do...? :?

[Image: turbooilfeed005.jpg]

[Image: turbooilfeed006.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: %24(KGrHqRHJDcE63Z(lQ40BO0r7wqVv!~~60_35.JPG]
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
or even...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq4q3RYJN5NGbCvsSxzrV...ZTPYYuTGI4]
Thanks given by:
A swan neck would probably be a good idea of Tom was some kind of magician, who could make it go through the solid oil line. Unfortunately, he's not lol
Thanks given by:
Scotts right lol....

Plus a swanneck or any normal size spanner is actually too long anyway, it hits the bulkhead. :problem:

After looking around I've found this (wrong engine but similar mani) - half a spanner, with the end cut out, and a bend welded in............surely that isn't what VW would use though lol!! Confusedhock:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/t ... engine.htm
Thanks given by:
Crowsfoot wrench or flared spanner mate. Think it's gonna be fun whichever way you go...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
tom whats it connected to on the other end? as it mite be worth removing it from there and lifting it off with the turbo. make life a little easier.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I thought that too mate.....no chance though, it goes around coolant pipes and various wiring and stuff. :problem:

I would just cut it off if it was easy to replace lol.
Thanks given by:
Someone in chat earlier was saying about rule number 2...I think it's applicable here...if it can be removed, do it anyway. It'll make the job easier later on.

Case in point, remove shit from the front so you can follow the line around and remove it from the other end if you have to. It looks a bitch to get off, but worth doing no doubt.
Thanks given by:
Usually I'd agree, but I'm not removing half the cooling system just for an oil line lol....might just see if my grandad had any old spanners that I can cut up. I assume I could cut it with a hacksaw as I don't have anything bigger or electric lol.
Thanks given by:
Btw if you're changing the turbo, have you completely unbolted it so you can drop it down to the floor to make it easier to rotate and get to? If the feed is long enough, of course.
Thanks given by:
It won't come out underneath without removing driveshaft....f*cking awkward vws! So I've taken the inlet mani off to take it out the top hopefully. :think:
Thanks given by:
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:A swan neck would probably be a good idea of Tom was some kind of magician, who could make it go through the solid oil line. Unfortunately, he's not lol
okay then you picky bastard use one of these then!
[Image: Flexible_Flare_Nut_Off_Beam_75_degree.jpg]

or one of these...
[Image: sealey-s-spanner-set-5pc-metric.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You realise the bottom ones there are solid aswell Phil! Tongue

That top one would be ideal if it would fit though....bet they don't sell them in halfords though!
Thanks given by:
Eh you get the idea! Lol
Thanks given by:
Erm..........have I been a complete bellend? If I've read this right it says I don't need to undo the bottom nut at all to get the oil line out?? I don't want to break it so should it just pull out now I've removed that 'top' nut?? :?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=27

If I can get a quick reply that'd be good please....! Smile
Thanks given by:
Nevermind, I'm a dick.....it just pulled out with a hard pull. f*ck sake. :problem:
Thanks given by:
A push fit oil line? I don't like the idea of that...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:A push fit oil line? I don't like the idea of that...

No its compression fit, that big nut holds it tight. It didnt seem at all loose last night and I didnt want to break it so didnt pull too hard.....and assumed the smaller nut must have held it somehow....but it doesn't. Smile
Thanks given by:
lmao that is all
Thanks given by:
I was going to say this, but I thought you couldn't be THAT much of a pleb... Seems I underestimated you Tongue
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:I was going to say this, but I thought you couldn't be THAT much of a pleb... Seems I underestimated you Tongue

Oh I can be MUCH more of a pleb than that lol.... Tongue
Thanks given by:
Anyway....yeah it's f*cked. Tongue

[Image: Knackeredturbo037.jpg]

[Image: Knackeredturbo039.jpg]

[Image: Knackeredturbo038.jpg]

And this is where its sitting for now lol...

[Image: Knackeredturbo041.jpg]
Thanks given by:
can you not get a rebuild kit for it?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
samass Wrote:can you not get a rebuild kit for it?

Tbh I don't think I have the pateice and certainly not the skill to do it myself after reading some garett refurb guides lol.

Also Ruan said that they can't be refurbed for some reason, not at any old garage anyway.

Just for a laugh I asked in VW the price of a new one.............£1126 lmao
Thanks given by:
jeeeeesus thats a lot!

Thanks given by:
samass Wrote:jeeeeesus thats a lot!

I know lol...... :problem:

Not sure what to do now tbh..........wonder how much its worth spares or repair, cos the body and interior are mint (just ask anyone thats seen it), its just the mechanical problems that let it down. Sad
Thanks given by:
or save up for a replacement turbo? theyre like 2-300 on the bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State" Toms306 227 88,727 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191