Household Money Saving Tips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Household Money Saving Tips
Not a scam, it's 10 ways https://www.facebook.com/10ways?fref=ts

They just post up all sorts, sometimes supermarkets make pricing errors etc
The tesco giftcard I got was from the sun+ who had a trail membership for £1 for the first month and you got the giftcards for signing up. I've also signed up for a free month with nowtv which also gave me a £10 xbox live voucher and there was a £10 amazon voucher for £5 on there a little while ago.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
and
go food shopping with a list not on the list dont buy
buy food weekly make a weekly meal plan freeze stuff, buy larger items and break them down into portion size saves waste defrosting or freeze plated meals
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 06:18 PM)Poodle Wrote: - Second job - else you'll be bored now you haven't got the tv to melt your brain

- Restrict the supply of treats, such as takeaways, cinema and nights out to once a month/fortnight

- If you use coupons, ONLY use the ones you would use normally, else you end up with a cupboard full of expensive crap that you'll never use

- Learn sewing, darning, knitting, plumbing, electricals, carpentry, and anything else you can learn which means you don't have to throw something away yet or pay someone else to fix it

- or ra*e the overtime, I've earned almost £1500 extra in the last 2 weeks through being bored enough to do overtime and you cant spend money so fast when your at work and not bored.

- very true, god i love a takeaway 10 times more these days now i cant afford them.

- this is very true, also the 3 for 2 deals on fruit and veg and other perishables in the supermarket are only any use if you can eat them before they go off which for the larger deals most people cant.

- I'm ashamed to admit that I can sew relatively well, saves me a fortune sometimes.
4th catergory for clothes though - Unwearable - but don't throw them away, they make great rags for cleaning up oil spills.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 06:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: Just a thought for those not as fortunate as Danny....

Check ya electric, most have a nighttime reading and a daytime...check when those hours are, and if possible set timers for things like washing machines and chargers and get up and have ya shower in that cheaper electric bracket.

Also rinsing and soaking ya washing up in cold water reduces amount of hot needed to wash up!

And boil ya kettle for only the amount you need.

Just to expand on that a little mate, it's only about 4% of people that have an economy 7 meter. They need to work out whether they're using more than 70% of their electric between 12am and 7am, and if not ask their supplier to combine both reads and charge it at a single rate and it'll work out far cheaper.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 06:25 PM)cully Wrote: and
go food shopping with a list not on the list dont buy
buy food weekly make a weekly meal plan freeze stuff, buy larger items and break them down into portion size saves waste defrosting or freeze plated meals

Ah yes, those are other things i do without thinking about lol.

(03-01-2014, 06:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: - this is very true, also the 3 for 2 deals on fruit and veg and other perishables in the supermarket are only any use if you can eat them before they go off which for the larger deals most people cant.

4th catergory for clothes though - Unwearable - but don't throw them away, they make great rags for cleaning up oil spills.

Two good ones there too. Big Grin

Basically, before i buy anything i ask the following question:
Do i absolutely need it now?

If you don't need it, don't buy it. If you can go without for a few more days, do so. You'd actually be surprised at how delaying every extra payment for a few days gains/saves you in interest and sometimes gives you the time to realise you don't need a new one at all.

Thought of a couple more:
- Pay off insurance in a lump sum to avoid the chronic interest on monthly payments, and anything else you can do this with
- When buying major items, do your research and buy the best you can - for twice the price it'll last three times as long and be cheaper to run/maintain
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 06:54 PM)Poodle Wrote: - Pay off insurance in a lump sum to avoid the chronic interest on monthly payments, and anything else you can do this with

Just to add to this bit, most insurers will give you a better if not no interest rate on pay monthly on car insurance if you haggle with them. An extra 2 minutes on the phone could save you £100 a year in interest.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 03:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: Have showers not baths

A 15 minute shower uses more water than a bath.

Everyone knows showers use more water than a bath.
Thanks given by:
Depends on your type of shower........ Ours is just a mixer tap, it's like being pee'd on tbh!

Plus who takes 15 minutes in the shower!?
Thanks given by:
This shower vs bath thing is silly as it depends on if you have a power shower or not, how long you spend in there and how deep you would fill your bath.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Plus who takes 15 minutes in the shower!?

We have a double shower unit & a bath, if I ever have a shower il be in there well over 10 mins, but I usually have a bath to save water. I don't have a full bath either.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, as Chris say's so many variables!

On another note, theres a programme on ITV about money saving now....for those of you that still have TV's! lol
Thanks given by:
I'm watching Grand Designs.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 08:14 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I'm watching Grand Designs.

Me to :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Im watching Ice Age! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Archer
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Hahahaha...shower use more water???

Put the plug in the hole and leave shower on for 15min...bet you it doesnt even get half way
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Normally I fill the bath up and then have a shower. I just like having my feet underwater. I've heard loads of other people do it.
Thanks given by:
I like the dirty water to have minimal contant with my body!!! lol

So this guna go in the 'guides' section? lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I use hotukdeals for a lot of things, they list deals, vouchers, freebies. also bespoke offers from Barclaycard, £10 asda voucher for £5.
Heart 306
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: So this guna go in the 'guides' section? lmao

I'll do that tomorrow evening, hopefully get a few more tips in before then.

(03-01-2014, 09:59 PM)Nadine Wrote: I use hotukdeals for a lot of things, they list deals, vouchers, freebies. also bespoke offers from Barclaycard, £10 asda voucher for £5.

ooh that sounds good
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: I like the dirty water to have minimal contant with my body!!! lol

Glad I'm not the only one that realises baths are just laying in your own filth! Confused
Thanks given by:
I just have a shower that you get in, thats not a bath...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
lots of good info here
MoneySavingExpert.com
Thanks given by:
For people worrying about heating unused rooms and cost of electric heaters. A friends of mine showed me something because she only realy uses one room.
Something that's really cheap to make and only uses a small candle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oa7ifmH...ata_player
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
candles/fire/no home/living on streets

think id sooner turn the heating on than have a candle in my house unattended
Thanks given by:
Lol, that's pretty cool, like a little storage heater.
Thanks given by:
Some good tips here, definitely going to look into the off-peak electricity timings.

- Get a credit card which gives cash back, set up a direct debit to clear it every month so there's no chance of forgetting and use it for fuel/food/any large purchases. The percentage you get back is tiny but it's free money at the end of the day.

- Also if you haven't already, sign up to a cash back website, I use it for everything where possible and here's a screen grab from my total earnings in the last couple of years. Best earners are things like breakdown cover, insurance, holidays, mobile phone contracts.

[Image: cashback.png]

Linky to sign up (yes it's a referral Angel)

- Water down house hold cleaning products such as surface cleaners and hand soap.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Just a thing on sky tv, have none of you got a skybox/dreambox, i got one a while back and there a good job.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 06:25 PM)cully Wrote: Everyone knows showers use more water than a bath.

Er, no..? Think you might have go that slightly backwards. Rofl

I shower with the plug in during summer, because i use the water for the vegetable garden afterwards (oh that's another tip - grow some of your own veg), even after a twenty minute shower there is less than half the amount of water i would need for a bath.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-01-2014, 08:28 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(03-01-2014, 06:25 PM)cully Wrote: Everyone knows showers use more water than a bath.

Er, no..? Think you might have go that slightly backwards. Rofl

I shower with the plug in during summer, because i use the water for the vegetable garden afterwards (oh that's another tip - grow some of your own veg), even after a twenty minute shower there is less than half the amount of water i would need for a bath.

umm i didnot write that! go back and read my post @625 its nothing about showers Huh
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want to get rid of some money? ROBCAT 13 3,126 02-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Silly money 205 chylledapps 3 1,533 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  Travel Money MY95 3 1,744 13-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Frosty