Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! - 306 DW8 Possible Camshaft Seizure?
(04-08-2012, 03:15 PM)con67 Wrote: Hateful bud, stick around here get yourself some spanners and get the head off youll probably do a better job than your garage.

That is an option and it's not a huge amount more work now to get the head off. But at the moment I'm trying to establish if the cause of the failure is certainly due to the work the garage did re-shimming the valves as I'd like to claim the costs back if possible.

I noticed this morning when looking again, that the cam spocket is now on the end of it's slotted holes. This would suggest to me that this part was seized and the belt has pulled the pulley round to the end of the slots and then broken? The point being that the sprocket wasn't the first thing to break.

Also when I previously spoke to the garage they say that they only removed the centre bolt on the cam pulley, they didn't touch the 3 bolts securing the cam sprocket to the hub.

Also interesting was they said that they never released the tension on the timing belt, they slid it off and on again without re-tensioning the belt. That doesn't sound by the book to me?

(04-08-2012, 03:15 PM)con67 Wrote: theyve misdiagnosed the original fault imo even if not broken your cam.

Not sure what you mean that they miss-diagnosed the fault?

They did a compression test to establish low compression on one cylinder. After setting up the valve clearances with shims, it ran fine. Until it failed...
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: HELP! - 306 DW8 Possible Camshaft Seizure? - by jamesgmg - 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  camshaft AndyG 6 2,187 16-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Piggy