Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fluttering idle? possible misfire?? HELP
Hi all

My 306 cab 1.8 16v has 51k miles on it - 2001 and in the last 12 month or more has only covered less than 1k miles.

I've noticed recently (especially when warm!) that when you park up with the engine running the idle is slightly eratic - fluttering from 800ish rpm to approx 1000rpm momenterally then, dropping back down again.. with occasional blip up to 900rpm in between.

it appears to pull well and such, when cold it is slightly eratic, but not too fussed as it's still on the choke and would expect a little bit of eratic idle until its warm.

I've been on the 306cab.com forum and was pointed to an ICV ( Idle control valve) reset procedure of:

Ignition on
Throttle down for 10 seconds
Off the throttle for 5 seconds
startup and wait 1 minute.
did this twice and nothing's changed...

I come from a classic car background with points, dizzy caps etc.. I'm thinking it could be a single plug that is becoming weak or oxidization on a contact at the igntion coil? or possibly a partially blocked fuel filter?

It Doesn't stall when approaching traffic lights etc (like many appear to have problems with stalling) mine's fine, but the idle isn't as smooth as I would have imagined it to be..

any recomendations?

I would remove the plugs and replace, but knowing this is the 1.8 with the sagem ECU which when removing the coil etc, which can spike the ecu I'm understandably concerned.

Rob
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
fluttering idle? possible misfire?? HELP - by plugy - 21-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Misfire nile306gti6 4 3,880 16-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Poor throttle response, misfire fixed! bilboaustin 17 5,196 06-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Last Post: bilboaustin
  Eml light and misfire russ.gibbo76 2 1,532 25-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Last Post: russ.gibbo76