Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's?????
Well,

I've been looking around for a new car, for insurance reasons, part cost reasons, and to try and recoup some of the money I've wasted on the Golf......Only I could get a bargain of a car then spend half of the cars value on modding it! Doh

I know, I'm a dick. In my defense, the turbo change inc gaskets and fresh oil and stuff was like £500 all in!! The actual power increase was only a £45 map tbh.

I had to start de-modding it for insurance but it hasn't really worked so it's gonna have to be fully standardised again if I kept it...which I don't mind doing anyway if it'll sell better.

Anyway, enough about the VAG...................

I want to know why the hell all I can find in my budget that I'm remotely interested in is 306 HDi's and Golfs/A3s (with a 150 engine, and less miles/more service history). This really is ridiculous, surely there must be other cars I've overlooked??

I know I can't have everything, but the main criteria is - cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure AND must be comfortable and reasonably paced, 0-60 on the golf was about 7 seconds I think (never timed it), so I reckon 10secs or quicker 0-60 should be ok.....

Then I also like spec, ideally climate control, cruise control, leathers, electrics......I know I won't get all of these though, but want as many as possible.

Oh and lastly, as much power as I can reliably and cheaply have without affecting insurance too much.

So clearly it has to be a deisel.....and all I can find that matches the above is either a PD150 with a 182remap (shouldn't have boost leak issues like with the 130 due to a different IC system.) Or a 306 HDi with I think its a 140ish map (before having to add IC which insurance won't allow).

Others I found were:

Mazda 6 Diesel - well specced but but poor fuel economy and high tax
Mondeo 130 TDCI - Well specced, ok economy, but my Dad drives one, they're massive, they handle and look worse than a golf.

So yeah, I'm not asking for your opinions on the VAG's; I'm well aware what most of you think of them, but the fact remains that they do fit my criteria well - I'm asking are there any other cars that I've over looked?? Or is that really all the market for the older diesel hatch??

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's????? - by Toms306 - 09-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.9 Dturbo 205 vs pd mk2 golf pugtk 11 2,584 14-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  xud van vs golf gti 1.8 t xudlingo 30 5,227 21-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Anyone play golf? THE_Liam 25 11,189 19-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam