Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front mounting 306 diesel fuel cooler
(25-10-2016, 05:23 AM)Poodle Wrote: I can't see any problem with that, it would probably cool the fuel better thanks to the higher airflow, as you say. It would need fairly good protection mind, you wouldn't want a stone going through it on the motorway. :/

It should be fine as poodle says but care should be taken specifically regarding crash safe zones

This leaves basically in front of and behind the engine block as your options.  Possibly if you relocate the battery or put it behind the headlight on one side (drivers maybe?)

As a rule of thumb 45degC is about where you want the fuel temp. Lower will increase performance marginally and but importantly above this the performance losses will be swift and generous.

It absolutely needs to be away from the radiator as the ambient radiated temperature, as well as heated airflow past the rad will be higher than 45degrees.  Also you need to consider it cooling the fuel too much.

Depending on how you go about doing it you need to consider the ambient temperature and the affect the fuel system components have on the fuel. In the UK it will tend to have a cooling affect, whereas in warmer temps it will tend to be a heater by comparison. 

I think maybe your best bet would be to mount to the bulkhead or in front do the pedal box if you can glean enough room, be sure to ensure adequate airflow and if you notice a drop in performance then you might need to rethink the design and location
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: boggs

Messages In This Thread
Front mounting 306 diesel fuel cooler - by boggs - 25-10-2016, 12:18 AM
RE: Front mounting 306 diesel fuel cooler - by toseland - 25-10-2016, 05:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of diesel fuel? JTaylor2005 94 22,058 04-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Diesel Fuel Additive Treatment best ever shazilla 17 7,099 22-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: craig306
  Fuel Temp / Fuel Cooler discussion Dum-Dum 5 1,629 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Ruan