Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New alternator and battery, still low voltage.
Had the battery light come on on my 306 1.9D and measured the alternator output direct from the alternator terminals and also measuring off battery terminals, getting 11.3v at idle.

Figured bad alternator so just replaced it with a new one. However the new one is giving the same results.

I've checked the big fuses in the box under the bonnet on the wing, I've checked the continuity of the + cable from alternator to battery and the earth from battery to gearbox.

I've now also just replaced the battery as the old one was 8 years old, and now getting 11.88v off the battery and back of the alternator on idle and 12.20v with some revs. So still low...

Any ideas?

Just to update this:

The battery light on the dash doesn't come on with the ignition, only when I've driven the car up the road does it come on. Wondering about the exciter wire, though don't fully understand this yet.

Can someone confirm if on the 1.9D, the battery light should come on with the ignition and then go out on start?
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
New alternator and battery, still low voltage. - by jamesgmg - 26-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No voltage at some sensors JVB88 3 1,895 30-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Voltage regulator Dreijers 6 1,486 25-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  coilpack voltage grantpipe 5 1,681 16-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Niall