Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread
Thanks for the comments guys, at £350 I can't (and won't) complain at anything this car throws my way, I'm just enjoying having another project to throw myself into.

So picking up where I left off, other than finding out the windows didn't work and the heater controls had no lights and being paranoid about some rattles in the dash (need to get a stereo in!) the trip home after picking up the car was great, the car drove smoothly and the tracking was spot on, the car pulls amazingly well, perhaps it's just because I'm not used to diesels but I was managing to accelerate up hills in 5th gear with no effort - I'm looking forward to finding out if the car has been modified, the only thing the seller told me about was the rear beam being dropped and the exhaust but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it has had a remap.   The seller had to change one of the cyclones as the tyre on it was bald so it's currently sitting on a steelie until I change it.

So I spent a couple of hours on Friday and pretty much all of today removing the interior.  It wasn't actually that difficult as I'm used to torx screws shearing off and bolts being seized on the Clio yet everything seemed to run smoothly until removing the last bit of carpet which I cheated on and cut with a stanley knife as it will be hidden when the centre console goes back on.

I started by unbolting the rear seats followed by the fronts hoovering as I went.  As it turns out the front set had a bolt missing and the rest were pretty loose so I'm glad to have found that out now.   I made sure I bagged up all the parts separately so I can have half a chance of putting them back where they came from.
The car was absolutely minging and has a smell of death.  When I saw these chips I nearly gagged.

Someone who owned this car was a bit of an avid in car audio DIYer as there were cables running everywhere, little bits of wire in the carpet and so far I have found 10 speakers in the car including two in the bootwell and two more in each of the rear seat pockets?!

When the wiring was run to the boot part of the carpet wasn't put back in properly which you can see bottom right

The 6x9s were seemingly held on by hopes and dreams (and massively long screws) and basically fell out when I took out the parcel shelf.

I'm really not looking forward to having to reverse whatever is going on with the stereo loom.  Does anyone know if this looks like a bodge job or whether I can simply remove the Pioneer adaptor and be left with what is there as standard?

Does anyone know what the little push button device is in front of the clutch pedal in this shot?  Looks important and it's surely not supposed to just hang there?!

It started getting dark so this was how I left it on Friday evening.

Today (Saturday) I got up early and went down to Homebase to hire a Rugdoctor for the carpets.  When I got home I found some ebay deliveries - a keyfob battery and lion embossed rubber button. The existing keyfob was a little worse for wear...

I started by removing the key part and polishing the dirt off with wire wool and autosol.  I then had to use the wife's hairdryer to heat up and remove the old worn rubber buttons as they were well and truly stuck on.  
The finished result...not perfect but certainly better.  

When I went to try the key the remote locking didn't work first time then I found and followed the guide on here and turned the key in the ignition once, off and on again making sure to hold the large button down for 5 seconds.  After that I tried pressing in AND.....nothing  Huh . I slipped the key in my pocket thinking it was a lot to expect anyway and 15 minutes later the doors locked. I realised the key had pressed in my pocket so I took it out, tried it again and it worked!! I now had a fully functioning keyfob and remote locking which called for an air fist pump!  Big Grin
I am thinking I will buy a used fob, another set of buttons and a new shell on ebay then get a key blank cut to get a second key - does anyone know if you can re-programme any used key to work the central locking just by doing the on/off/button hold trick?
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by partybish - 11-03-2017, 11:42 PM
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by MY95 - 16-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 02-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 10-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by C2K - 24-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post