Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warranty on parts from the dealers near me
(07-09-2016, 11:09 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote:
(07-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The aftermarket ones are all shit though.  It would've been worth paying more for a genuine GTi6 backbox with a decent chrome tip, baffles that don't rattle, welds that actually seal and being made of metal that doesn't immediately rust out....but there's no way that's even close to genuine...  I can't believe how much they charged for it either, no wonder they won't take it back!!

If you give it to them they'll bodge it on, easy enough, the mid pipe just needs to be loosened and the brackets bent a little.

As you've now fitted it that won't go in your favour though. Confused

Why didn't you go for a stainless one anyway?  It would've been far cheaper...in fact you could probably have had a custom catback made for less!

Yes it's for the '6. The whole reason I wanted a OE system was I thought the exhaust noise was to loud and boomy on the motorway from the after market system that was on the car. I didn't realise that the centre section was the wrong unit and had a centre box that is a lot smaller then it should be.

[Image: IMG_20160905_153345_zpstett934k.jpg]

I found a guy that makes good stainless exhaust systems and they comply with MSA noise regs (the system came in at 98db) with a 2.25" OD pipe for £380 and I was thinking of getting that but I was unsure how it would be on the motorway.

I thought OE would be the best route considering the noise, looking the best and the best quality.

This is the box I've returned https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vein-Porte-PG45...ds=pg45557

You can see the manufacture is selling it for only £80.

The OE replacement I've now got hasn't got the chrome tip just a rolled end but the quality of the unit is so much better. You can see inside the pipes blend together the shit one had steps where one part was welded to another, also the way the two halves of the box are folded together looks a lot better.

I'm prefer to buy good quality components not cheap shit and especially not cheap shit at stupid prices but there was no way for me to know what I was going to get and seeing it was from the dealers you would have thought it would be as close to OE quality as possible.

Ah yeah that's fair enough, though a custom builder should be able to make it quiet on the motorway but louder under load if that's what you wanted. The ST with a Miltek de-res (no centre box) revving at 4k on the motorway is much quieter than the '6 with a Magnex lol!! It's not even loud enough to notice while cruising tbh, but barks and rasps with throttle, not sure how they manage it but however they do it works well. Doesn't give me headaches like the '6s did!

I'm also one for buying something decent quality that works well and lasts longer rather than keep buying cheap crap so I know where you're coming from there.

I'm lost now though, have you returned the expensive 'box today or have I confused myself? lol
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Warranty on parts from the dealers near me - by Toms306 - 07-09-2016, 11:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are classic car dealers on crack? THE_Liam 40 10,904 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Last Post: hbomb1905