Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need harder springs for my coilovers????
cwspellowe Wrote:Just to dive in at the deep end here, polybushed wishbones have a higher torsional strength at the pivot point so while they don't actually affect the spring rate of the struts, they do affect the vertical stiffness of the suspension set up. It may only be nominal but they do play a part.

Polybushes, or for example Meyle HD bushes, are made of a harder rubber and therefore offer more resistance to rotational movement than standard or worn bushes or, at the total opposite end of the spectrum, roller bearing wishbone bushes, that offer zero rotational resistance combined with zero lateral movement.

So yes, Ed, stiffer rubber bushes DO affect the overall dynamics of the vertical movement of the suspension setup. You were right in so far as they don't affect spring rate of the strut, but that's about it. Why do you think lowered cars need to have the wishbone bushes aligned again after changing the ride height? To have a load on something and needing to alter it means there must be some kind of mechanical resistance Wink

Suppose you went and welded the wishbones to the car instead of using rubber bushes, would be a VERY stiff setup then wouldn't it?

Bloody GTI6 owners, they're all the same ninja

fcuk me I've been out Adenoided!! OOOOWWWWWwwwww Tongue

I think my point still stands. Yes I am aware it will have a small effect in vertical stiffness of the set-up with different bushes, but it isn't strictly relevant, because the springs in the OP's coilovers are clearly WAY too soft...

But yes for everyone else's benefit, I GOT TOLD! lol
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Re: need harder springs for my coilovers???? - by Ed Doe - 15-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilovers/Springs/Shocks Esmyth124 6 2,456 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: MY95
  TA Coilovers vs GTi6 Shocks & 60mm Springs silverzx 10 2,480 15-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Last Post: puglove
  thoughts on coilovers and shocks and springs mattyh24hdi 24 5,169 22-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Last Post: anto