Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi or XUD... Pros and cons info needed.
(03-07-2014, 02:10 PM)Ruan Wrote: Meh.

Driven both... HDis are slightly more dull than XUDs, more refined, do go wrong - but generally easy fixes.

If you want an XUD to return good economy, stick a GT15 or modern turbocharger on it, my XUD + GT20v would happily return 58-60mpg all day long. HDis will return good economy, but seen a few that that don't, seen some that will barely return 45mpg ish, mapped or unmapped... Don't know why.

If XUDs were treated in the same way HDis are treated in terms of being given new parts, serviced on time with decent oil, which no one ever seems to do - literally every time something goes wrong with an XUD, I see people down the scrap yard for second hand this and that - they'd be just as reliable and frankly, refined. It's just when you shove 60 litres of veg in the tank, have NEVER replaced the glowplugs or set the injection timing correctly, got a horrible cone filter for epic induction drone, scaffold pole exhaust and then expect it to have a beautiful smooth, quiet idle on a 5*c morning - it's not going to happen.

Horses for courses, one isn't better than the other I don't think, it's about what you want. You need to know what you're letting yourself in for with an XUD - remember the YOUNGEST XUD you can get now is 1998 or so, that makes it 16 years old still, HDis are only ever younger and they are the later Ph3 cars, they have all the bits you want to put on the Ph1/2 DT...

Thats just what i wanted too hear!

Think im swaying more towards an XUD but with a modern turbo, bosch pump and a HDi gearbox simply for the smoothness and reliablity.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hdi or XUD... Pros and cons info needed. - by Matt-Rallye - 03-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  steel wheel info needed.. Ben 8 1,612 23-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  general info on big end bearings needed Ricky 25 4,585 13-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Ricky