Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's?????
Well, first I want to say thanks to everyone that posted! Smile

This is why I like this forum, it's not the cars, its the people in it, you guys are awesome. Smile Thanks for not just ripping the piss and actually having a sensible discussion.

(09-07-2012, 09:11 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Tom, if you don't enjoy driving a 106, nothing will please you.

Genuinely no word of a lie, sometimes I catch myself thinking the 106 is actually more fun than the 306. The limits are so much lower, so you can drive the ass out of it without breaking speedlimits. It's simple, no crap or electrics etc between you and the road. i dunno, it's a complete hoot to drive imo. Don't get me wrong, slow as hell, and tragically rolly through the corners, but the grip levels are actually a bit surprising, and it just feels like a little terrier.

Anyway, it is your decision, my opinion is above in my 1st post Smile good luck buddy

Maybe its just this 106 rather than all of them........but I also think we like different things about driving - I like just getting away from stuff and being in my own world where I control everything there if that makes sense, rather than the raw 'feeling the road' thing that you like.

Don't get me wrong, the 106 was kinda good to rag from cold to the governer in each gear everyday, chuck literally anything in it and park in the tiniest spaces without giving a shit about people scratching the doors (lets face it I wouldn't notice if they had!). BUT as a daily it was really impractical and not anywhere near big enough, it was also shit to park with no PAS, couldn't overtake which was really frustrating and making me late quite often and I know in the golf I can brake fairly well from any speed, this was the complete opposite in the 1'er, braking at all just locked the wheels lol. Plus I was constantly worried about it breaking down....how anyone can trust a 14 year old French car I really don't know.

(09-07-2012, 09:54 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom I as much as the next man loves cars as much as you but I also have a social life (ish) and things to occupy my time. You've admitted you don't and that is a underlying problem. If I have a shitty day with the car or one of them days where you hate it, I leave it and generally I go down the pub for a few drinks with Fiona or a mate (well, normally grant!)
I've met you Tom and whilst it was only brief, you seem like a generally nice honest guy if not a bit quiet. You just need to get more of a social life. Why not try taking up a martial art? I did 18 months ago and I've met so many new people there that I would call friends.
Also, come to a meet or two! I'm sure at the next big meet that srowell goes to, he would give you a lift. I didn't really like th idea of going to Coventry meet as I was going to be spending two days with people I've never met but I can honestly say that I have never had such a fun (if not painful and I'll....Jonny that's your fault) weekend and have made some great friends from other meets (not you ed....I despise you)

Cars as a hobby isn't just about cars. It's also about the social aspect of meeting people who enjoy cars as well.

Anyway rant over about you.
Ditch the golf and settle for something lower spec.

Cheers Niall.....was a lot to think about last night.....and you are of course completely correct.

However whats the point of me going to the pub? I don't drink. And you've seen me, martial arts and strength aren't really my forte, I'm a flighter not a fighter lol.

I do go to meets, but if I'm honest I really didn't enjoy the last EA meet - we went to a pub and I sat there in a panic trying to think of an excuse to leave for the whole time. :/ And at DubGen meets people don't really talk unless they know you.....I do try to be more sociable 'alright mate, nice golf, what engine is it?' And I just get 'yeah' back. I dunno if its me, but it feels like other people don't want to be sociable either.....and it just ends up as groups of people that know eachother where I feel a bit left out again........... Until I popped the bonnet on the Golf anyway, shiny things in the bay seem to attract people........but the insurance have seen to it that I can't have the one thing I put a tonne of time, effort and money into so that only lasted for one meet - and taking a 106 to a DG meet didnt really work, although it gave them something to laugh at. You only have to look at my facebook 'friends' to see none of them are dubgen people, the majority are 306 people from here that I don't even live near and will probably never meet in my life lol.

And I keep trying the Ipswich and Suffolk Cruises - but people aren't really sociable there either, even if they were I don't know what to say and convo's quickly die off. Although I do see people I know from school or college which is usually just a quick hello as they try and get away as quick as possible lol, and it's not really worth the waste of diesel or the stress of going to these big cruises anymore tbh, I wasn't even going to the last one but Sam made me go lol.

I think its easier if youve got a talking point, like the golf was, at these meets - going in the NAD was just shit and pointless.

Plus I have the problem with distance, its not with driving, so I don't get lifts unless I'm really desperate. Im afraid I won't be coming to any big pug meets any time soon because of that, as much as I would like to meet a lot of the people on here.

(09-07-2012, 09:06 PM)Jonny b Wrote: You got loads of worrying about shit to do in later life, don't do it now

Really? I thought there'd be less to worry about as you get older...... Dodgy

(09-07-2012, 10:16 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 09:44 PM)declantg Wrote: Tom im serious, me you and sam are going out for a drink soon regardless of what you say! i will see that beautiful smile

are we? ok!

Yeh tom... I have the 1.8 and tbh a hdi or dturbo would make much more sense but i do like the 1.8 because its different and still pretty quick compared to most cars. I probably could afford a better car but i also have the speedboat project, HDi estate project, uni life and im well teched up! There is other things to spend money on besides a car Big Grin tbh mate you either need to stick with the golf, get a better 106 or a 306 wether it be a dturbo, hdi or a 1.8! Just do something and enjoy it!

You can buy the estate off me if you want! Tongue Or the 1.8... maybe.

Sam I could never afford your 1.8!! Its costs double to fuel and to tax than the golf, and more to insure for me as well lol. Plus, I don't want any car we've been working on. Tongue

(10-07-2012, 02:00 AM)InkedMuttley Wrote: The Mondeo's I can tell you now the newer ones all have the black/blue smoke issue I know of 5 or 6 in Skeg alone that are like that (I have a good memory for plates) plus when they get to 100k+ they tend to start losing LOTS of power, mine certainly did have you not thought about the 406? they can be had for cheapsies and some of them do come really well specced a mate of mine had a 2.2HDi 406 on a 51 plate I think it was and he only paid about £1,200 for it came with full leathers, service history, good condition apart from a big dent in the back door he went to a PDR place paid about £100 I think and you'd of thought it had just come out of the showroom!

Failing that Passat's can be had cheap as can the Audi A4 which I have the luck to have a customer with one who hates my car so insists that I take hers when I take her out and they go like f*cking stink!

Passats and A4s are a bit bigger than I need really, and I haven't seen any cheap diesels. The 406 is a good shout though, and I have been looking at them with leather, climate, sat nav etc, lots of spec and the 2.2 HDi should be powerful enough...........but they didnt make hatch! Sad The sedan wouldnt work for me as I need a hatch rather than a boot, so I've looked at estates....but I'm still unsure on them atm.

(10-07-2012, 08:17 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: For something cheap and fun I can't recommend a 106 GTI enough, never got under 30mpg from mine, and their madder than a bag of squirrels on speed Big Grin

They're not cheap though lol. I see loads of 6's cheaper than 106 gtis, and half the mpg of the golf too? Did you read the criteria list? Tongue I would like one tbh, just not cheap, practical or comfy lol.....
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's????? - by Toms306 - 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.9 Dturbo 205 vs pd mk2 golf pugtk 11 2,659 14-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  xud van vs golf gti 1.8 t xudlingo 30 5,335 21-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Anyone play golf? THE_Liam 25 11,345 19-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam