306 S16 Trackday use: oem 5speed or GTI 6Speed transmission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 S16 Trackday use: oem 5speed or GTI 6Speed transmission?
Hello to all guys ...
Thanks to this forum I was able to put the intake manifold of 306 GTI6 in my S16.

I then mounted:
- Intake Manifold 306 GTI6
- Injectors GTI6
- Complete exhaust gr. N brand "CECAM sport" 54mm without catalyst (original exhaust manifold 306 S16)
- Direct suction
- Original ECU remapped on the dyno

My 306 currently has 163 hp at the wheel and the limiter moved only 400 rounds since up to 6800 the engine that drives it is a pleasure.

Use your car to 90% racetracks and sometimes in big go-kart tracks.
I found myself often having to choose, the output corner, a second gear at 7000 rpm or 4000 rpm in third gear .. the gap is too high ...

I thought the 6-speed gearbox of the 306 GTI6 could be my solution.

what do you think?

to replace the gear I need other components?
I know that I have to change also the lever and rod to get the knob with the syringe to reverse. In addition to this? axle shafts? clutch? other?
Thanks given by:
I found the difference in gear ratios.

5speed:

1th gear ratio: 2,92:1
2th gear ratio: 1,85:1
3th gear ratio: 1,28:1
4th gear ratio: 0,97:1
5th gear ratio: 0,76:1
Reverse gear ratio: 3,33:1
Gear Ratio (end): 4,43:1
RPM at 120 km/h (theoretical): 3.600 rpm

6speed:

1th gear ratio: 2.92:1
2th gear ratio: 1.87:1
3th gear ratio: 1.41:1
4th gear ratio: 1.15:1
5th gear ratio: 0.95:1
6th gear ratio: 0.79:1
Final drive 3.95:1
Thanks given by:
who remapped your ecu, i thought they couldn't be remapped?
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 09:21 AM)Josh_Quant Wrote: who remapped your ecu, i thought they couldn't be remapped?

I'm Italian, so if if you can serve those who have mapped the ecu.
in any case have created a its panel for the EEPROM, an emulator inserted into the socket which communicated with 3 computers, this to allow you to edit the map directly without any time remove the EEPROM. the test was done on a chassis dynamometer, almost 12 rulltate before finding the final map.

163 hp at the wheel..

[Image: 1656023_10203175531017981_1741720583_n.jpg]

[Image: 20140220_092400.jpg]

[Image: 20140220_102035.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You got any more pics of the engine so I can see how the gti6 inlet fits
Thanks given by:
I have just two minutes I open a discussion with the whole procedure, work and achievements ...

the support of the gearbox?
I have to leave one of the 5-speed or 6-speed take what the?
Thanks given by:
I got a 6 speed box on my S16 that i fitted and i think its pretty good. Keeps the revs up when changing gears. I only drove it a short distance with the 5 speed box so i dunno how it compares
Thanks given by:
ok guys, I found the 6-speed gearbox ....

last question before you buy ....

can be installed? is plu & play? directly change the whole gearbox?

(04-03-2014, 01:17 PM)Frosty Wrote: I got a 6 speed box on my S16 that i fitted and i think its pretty good. Keeps the revs up when changing gears. I only drove it a short distance with the 5 speed box so i dunno how it compares

ok, can you explain me how to mount the 6-speed gearbox? if there are problems? or things to adapt?

the support of the gearbox?
I have to leave one of the 5-speed or 6-speed take what the?
Thanks given by:
It depends how far you want to go but the gearbox is a direct fit and use the same clutch. You will need the gear rod and gear stick and the reverse cable. When fitting you will find that the sump on the gti 6 works as bottom guard bit for the gear box as well so I changed that as well as the oil pump just in case the pick up was different. Then as I had the sump fitted I found that the high pressure power steering pipe bolts to the sump so I changed that and then had to change the power steering pump for 1 that sits at the top so I then change the whole aux set up for a ph1 set up which is the same as a rallye set up if I am correct.

All the bits I did weren't needed but I had all the bits and I wanted to make a decent/tidy job of it

Let me know if your after any more help/advice. I can try and find some pics if your after some
Thanks given by:
but all these changes you've made obligatory?
shift lever, rod and knob with syringe + reverse cable ... certainly ..
the rest?

you, thank you, if you put some pictures make me happy!
Thanks given by:
You need to change the gear lever and gear knob ideally and you will need to fit the reverse cable. The other bits don't need to be done but makes a lot better job of it. I will try and find some pics. Maybe worth having a look at my S16 project thread
Thanks given by:
GTi6 Box's are not really suited to track work, 3rd Gear is very weak and prone to stripping often even with std power on the normal road.
Options are either a 205 1.6 or 1.9 box with the CWP out of the 5 speed S16 box, Strong gears
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
ok ... so ... let's pretend that I'm an idiot .. or maybe I am Confused ... ahhahaha TMI

I go to the wrecker where this 306 GTI.

I take:
- Six-speed gearbox complete (the whole gearbox);
- Rod, lever, knob with syringe and cable reverse;

what else?
support of the change?
Thanks given by:
Yeah think that is all you need to do it. But i changed all the other bits to make a proper job of it
Thanks given by: