Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Exhaust advice
#1
Hi folks,

Got a 97 phase 2 D turbo. The car has a CAT in the exhaust, however I will need to replace the exhaust soon and I hope to fit a non Cat exhaust. My car is just on the cust of the CAT era (It's a P) and my MOT station say it won't be an issue if it's not there.

Just wondering what exhaust I need to buy then?  the car reg will I assume call up a CAT exhaust.  I had a 5 door xldt (P reg 1996) which I bought a full system for while I had it - could I use that reg plate, would it fit ?

Suggestions appreciated!
#2
This is the decat bit you want to buy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231080918810
#3
Thanks. So just get that, and then buy the correct exhaust but only from after the CAT back = full exhaust without CAT yes ?

Got a slight stay of execution, been out today and it was a hole at the bottom of the front pipe. Rest of the area looked solid, so I have covered it over with a nice wide clamp. So now it isn't blowing, think it will hold for a while. I'll get the parts ordered to be available on standby.

Thought I had bigger issues, as all of a sudden last night I could hear 'whoosh' on boost, and could hear the turbo whistle loudly. Must have just blown the last bit of rust out of the holed area. Maybe because I was 'dturboing' a dobber in a corsa who was right up my ar53... lol

With the clamp over the hole, everything is nice and quiet again (as quiet as an XUD can be ...)

Cheers
Craig
#4
It'd be a fairly lenient tester that lets that obvious bodge through.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cat issue though, just fit the non-cat pipe and make sure it's done a few miles before the test.
If they bring it up just claim it's a changeover car, and being so old it probably just 'slipped though the net' chances are they'll pass it rather than argue.
#5
MOT requirement from http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm:

a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

The exhaust is in a generally good condition overall, it's structurally sound- you could swing from it and it isn't going to break . All I have is a clamp which is securely fitted over a small hole, and the repair is completely sealing the hole. Therefore there would be no reason for a MOT tester to fail it simply because it has been repaired.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)