Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth
23-01-2015, 10:42 PM
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2015, 10:42 PM by LTD.)
I'm looking to fit this cat to my 1.4 (along with a new exhaust system). I've been told that they function more efficiently and activate earlier when mounted up near the exhaust manifold, and i have room for an elephant where it would be sitting.
My confusion here is that it says "Non approved". Can anyone explain this to me please?
http://www.lvawebcat.com/webforms/frmPar...ber=380424
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth
(23-01-2015, 10:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Cats for cars after 2001 MUST be type approved to meet regs and MOT. If your car is pre 2001 it doesn't need approval. 
Looks like I just about fit with my 2000. haha! Awesome, Thankyou.
Posts: 684
Threads: 58
Joined: Dec 2012
Reputation:
3
Location: Fordingbridge
Car Model/Spec: Loads
Pattern ones like those don't last long at all, when you see the scrap price of them 50p compared to OE one which can be upto £150.00 if a HDI type say's it all really
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth
25-01-2015, 08:16 PM
(This post was last modified: 25-01-2015, 08:18 PM by LTD.)
Thanks for the info guys
(23-01-2015, 11:16 PM)miles Wrote: Pattern ones like those don't last long at all, when you see the scrap price of them 50p compared to OE one which can be upto £150.00 if a HDI type say's it all really
Ah okay. Are you referring to the actual patterned appearance of the cat? So its better to find a solid looking one?
Like this:
http://www.autobits.co.uk/store/images/BM90905.jpg
I assumed i couldnt go wrong with a Klarius one, Is there a better brand i could use? Ive not got alot of knowledge of exhaust systems yet, or atleast not learnt who i should and shouldnt be buying from.
Posts: 13,881
Threads: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
81
Location: Ipswich
Car Model/Spec: 306 Rallye
I believe these guys are referring to pattern parts as in copies or replicas. I.e. not genuine or copies. Get well known brands or OEM.
Go on euro car parts and look there. Or gsf.
Posts: 18,242
Threads: 386
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
87
Location: Suffolk
Car Model/Spec: Focus Titanium
ECP and GSF sell pattern parts as well.
Its basically any part that hasn't been made exactly to original spec, but unless you buy from Peugeot you won't get that.
I haven't had a problem with cheaper, pattern exhaust parts myself though.
Posts: 3,109
Threads: 236
Joined: Mar 2012
Reputation:
36
Location: Stevenage
Car Model/Spec: '01 HDi DTurbo
I had to buy a pattern part for my 1.8 cabriolet once. I called up and gave my reg number, because it was after 2001 they quoted a different figure from their website - because of this Type Approval thing.
Did no more than phone up the next day with a reg number from a cab on Autotrader which was 6 months older. They questioned it and almost refused to sell it to me, I just said I would take my business elsewhere but eventually they went along with it.
Guess who checked?
F*cking nobody.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
![[Image: Sig500x130.png]](http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/chris_rx71/Sig500x130.png)
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth
(25-01-2015, 09:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: ECP and GSF sell pattern parts as well.
Its basically any part that hasn't been made exactly to original spec, but unless you buy from Peugeot you won't get that.
I haven't had a problem with cheaper, pattern exhaust parts myself though.
Oh haha! okay.
I imagine for a car this age, im not going to really be able to buy a part like this new anyway. Or if i can, i havent found it from the searches ive done.
Do these front mounted type of cats have a name? knowing that would probably help my search.
And ive noticed some cars have more than one cat, So would keeping my mid one be fine? (Thinking more about costs than anything else.)
i pretty much live on GSF and ECP recently. Although i am never buying from Euro Car Parts in Plymouth again. The guy on the counter there gives the worst customer service ive ever known.