Posts: 13,881
Threads: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
81
Location: Ipswich
Car Model/Spec: 306 Rallye
ive never had any luck with any cheap set. Definitely dont buy cheap.
Posts: 1,135
Threads: 14
Joined: May 2012
Reputation:
7
Location: Sheffield
I got a set for 20 quid from my local nut and bolt place, has done a fine job for me so far.
Posts: 3,662
Threads: 127
Joined: Feb 2012
Reputation:
33
Location: London
Car Model/Spec: ZX Volcane TD
id prob just buy high quality individuals of the ones you need and buy as and when to build up a collection - they are a proper pita if they snap in something you are trying to thread, and can be an absolute pig to get out.
Posts: 10,864
Threads: 117
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
119
Location: Southampton
Car Model/Spec: 306 HDi and friends
As above tbh, that clarke set will probably cover 80% of your needs, add a couple of larger ones and the usual bsp and npt and you'll be away.
Posts: 4,926
Threads: 266
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
18
Location: Somerset
Car Model/Spec: 205 DTurbo
Thing is it's like £6 a pop if not more for one tap.. Not exactly inexpensive when needing new ones, espically when you don't know for certain what pitch the threads are.
Posts: 493
Threads: 41
Joined: Mar 2014
Reputation:
3
Location: Warrington
Car Model/Spec: 306xrdt ph1
I have a clarke one and broken a few of teh dies.
I bought some taps from aldi and they came with teh drills too which is handy.
Aldi or lidl had an offer on a couple of weeks back for a tap and die set which was reasonable. Dunno about M16 tho.
Posts: 10,864
Threads: 117
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
119
Location: Southampton
Car Model/Spec: 306 HDi and friends
Aye, and for the two or three extras in that larger set that you'll actually use it effectively works out as about £20 a tap, bargain...
I picked up a blue point set on offer recently, can't remember how much it was, but it's lifetime guaranteed, definitely cheaper than that bigger one you listed, has a similar range to that clarke one with two of the most common npt and bsp sizes and a thread gauge added in.
Also, when buying new taps and dies, why can't you just measure the thread pitch that you want to cut, rather than guessing and hoping?
Posts: 72
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Kent
I have a sealey set, covers most things I need, used it to tap a required thread in my Audi gearbox. Also got matching helicoil set, highly recommended
Posts: 15,645
Threads: 541
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
124
Location: Aylesbury
Car Model/Spec: 320bhp Impreza WRX
22-01-2015, 07:51 PM
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2015, 07:52 PM by Dum-Dum.)
I have a small sealey or clarke or similar set that cost about £15 and has M4-M12 taps and dies plus the holders and a thread pitch gauge. I've had it for 5+ years and never had an issue and the only stuff I've had to buy to add to it are a couple of BSP taps and M12x1.25 which is the peugeot wheel bolt thread as standard M12 is M12x1.5
I wouldn't go for a big set as you are highly unlikely to use 90% of it. If I were gonna buy another set it would be a relatively limited set but one that came with primary, secondary and butt taps and the appropriately sized tap drill.
If you are just tapping out a hole that has previously had a thread in it then cheap taps are fine, people f*ck taps by trying to force them to cut, turn them forward a quarter turn tops and then turn it back by an 8th. Also WD40 is a tappers friend.
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 41
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
12
Location: Midlands
Car Model/Spec: Dtractor
Yeh as above really, buy quality sets you don't want a tap snapping off in a hole.
That said, I took the risk and bought a super cheap M3-M14 tap and die set for £20 on ebay, and have never had an issue. I dont use it often but when I do I'm really really cautious with it, and usually only use it on mild steel. For a 'one off' hole for a small project they can be great but have always been prepared or it to fail.
Posts: 72
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Kent
(22-01-2015, 07:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I have a small sealey or clarke or similar set that cost about £15 and has M4-M12 taps and dies plus the holders and a thread pitch gauge. I've had it for 5+ years and never had an issue and the only stuff I've had to buy to add to it are a couple of BSP taps and M12x1.25 which is the peugeot wheel bolt thread as standard M12 is M12x1.5
Very handy too know as I have one wheel bolt thread that has pulled bit of thread
Posts: 493
Threads: 41
Joined: Mar 2014
Reputation:
3
Location: Warrington
Car Model/Spec: 306xrdt ph1
M16 ? For the oil feed by chance ?
Just mention it as I'm looking at M16 to AN adapters on ebay.
Posts: 4,926
Threads: 266
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
18
Location: Somerset
Car Model/Spec: 205 DTurbo
Cheers boys, will probably go for the Clarke set or similar then.
Na, not the oil feed Nominous.