Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Engine temp and coolant
#1
Hey all, haven't had the car a week yet but the temp gauge doesn't move at all really and the coolant level warning light is permanently on. The heaters blow hot and I've checked the header tank level and topped it. Still no change? Is the engine temp and coolant level linked? Thermostat? The water in the header tank is clear and there's no mayo or owt in oil so I can rule HG out. Any help?
#2
What engine are we talking about here? Sounds to me like a simple failed sensor Smile
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#3
(10-01-2015, 04:55 PM)Niall Wrote: What engine are we talking about here? Sounds to me like a simple failed sensor Smile

Sorry it's a Hdi. What about the engine temp? Same sensor?
#4
Ah im not sure about the HDi engine. I know with the petrol engines, they have 2, possibly 3 temp sensors. One for the ECU, one for the dials and one for the fan controller
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#5
Hdi has the same I believe, on the side of the head to the right as you look at the engine.
Does sound like failed sensor
Wishes for more power...
#6
Coolant level sensor is a twist fit in the header tank, they often fur up and think theres no coolant, remove it and clean it.

As for the temp, how far are your journeys? If they're short you'll be lucky to get the temp needle to move this time of year in a HDi! If they're reasonable (15 mins+) you should see the needle just about manage 75c lol. If not, either a faulty sensor or stuck thermostat.
#7
Ok cheers I haven't got a Haynes yet so it can wait lol typical French electrics Wink

(10-01-2015, 05:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Coolant level sensor is a twist fit in the header tank, they often fur up and think theres no coolant, remove it and clean it.

As for the temp, how far are your journeys? If they're short you'll be lucky to get the temp needle to move this time of year in a HDi! If they're reasonable (15 mins+) you should see the needle just about manage 75c lol. If not, either a faulty sensor or stuck thermostat.
Thy as great cheers buddy, well I haven't got it on the road at the moment so it is just left ticking over on me drive so I guess its fine, I'll see when I get it going prob not till April Sad
#8
Theres only one sensor for the HDi, its blue and in the location above. Better hope its not that failed on yours though, you'll have the plastic end tank that is likely to break if you try removing the sensor... I have a metal replacement if you need one. Tongue

(10-01-2015, 05:55 PM)Bassman85 Wrote: Ok cheers I haven't got a Haynes yet so it can wait lol typical French electrics Wink


(10-01-2015, 05:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Coolant level sensor is a twist fit in the header tank, they often fur up and think theres no coolant, remove it and clean it.

As for the temp, how far are your journeys?  If they're short you'll be lucky to get the temp needle to move this time of year in a HDi!  If they're reasonable (15 mins+) you should see the needle just about manage 75c lol.  If not, either a faulty sensor or stuck thermostat.
Thy as great cheers buddy, well I haven't got it on the road at the moment so it is just left ticking over on me drive so I guess its fine, I'll see when I get it going prob not till April Sad

Just ticking over??  You'll NEVER get it up to temp ticking over in this weather. lol  Difficult enough in 25c heat lol.
#9
(10-01-2015, 05:58 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Theres only one sensor for the HDi, its blue and in the location above. Better hope its not that failed on yours though, you'll have the plastic end tank that is likely to break if you try removing the sensor... I have a metal replacement if you need one. Tongue

(10-01-2015, 05:55 PM)Bassman85 Wrote: Ok cheers I haven't got a Haynes yet so it can wait lol typical French electrics Wink


(10-01-2015, 05:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Coolant level sensor is a twist fit in the header tank, they often fur up and think theres no coolant, remove it and clean it.

As for the temp, how far are your journeys?  If they're short you'll be lucky to get the temp needle to move this time of year in a HDi!  If they're reasonable (15 mins+) you should see the needle just about manage 75c lol.  If not, either a faulty sensor or stuck thermostat.
Thy as great cheers buddy, well I haven't got it on the road at the moment so it is just left ticking over on me drive so I guess its fine, I'll see when I get it going prob not till April Sad

Just ticking over??  You'll NEVER get it up to temp ticking over in this weather. lol  Difficult enough in 25c heat lol.

Lol I'm used to VAG and ford Wink get to temp ticking over in -50 hahahaha

Thanks for all the help I really need to crack on and get stuck in with the project, I'll check the sensor out tomorrow sometime. I'm sure this will be the first post of many hahahahaha
#10
More used to petrol I'm guessing? Wink
#11
(10-01-2015, 07:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: More used to petrol I'm guessing? Wink

Ford yeah but had a mk4 tdi and my wife has a '11 polo bluemotion and they get to temp ticking over, all be it for 15-20 minutes haha
#12
Ahhh there we go.
Tom to the rescue.
But the extra info helped!! Smile
Wishes for more power...
#13
(10-01-2015, 07:37 PM)Bassman85 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 07:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: More used to petrol I'm guessing?  Wink

Ford yeah but had a mk4 tdi and my wife has a '11 polo bluemotion and they get to temp ticking over, all be it for 15-20 minutes haha

VAG gauges lie though, they show 90 for anything between about 75-110 lol, its so you don't worry if it gets a bit warm, but it worries me more not having an accurate gauge tbh!  That said, the PD engines do warm up more quickly than the HDi's though, not really sure why.  I can't get my Focus to warm up idling on the drive, even with every electrical load on (all lights, heated screens, heated seats etc lol), eventually I gave up and took it for a couple of mile run haha. 
#14
(10-01-2015, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 07:37 PM)Bassman85 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 07:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: More used to petrol I'm guessing?  Wink

Ford yeah but had a mk4 tdi and my wife has a '11 polo bluemotion and they get to temp ticking over, all be it for 15-20 minutes haha

VAG gauges lie though, they show 90 for anything between about 75-110 lol, its so you don't worry if it gets a bit warm, but it worries me more not having an accurate gauge tbh!  That said, the PD engines do warm up more quickly than the HDi's though, not really sure why.  I can't get my Focus to warm up idling on the drive, even with every electrical load on (all lights, heated screens, heated seats etc lol), eventually I gave up and took it for a couple of mile run haha. 

I guess I've just taken it for granted, didn't cross my mind tbh that it wouldn't warm up idling hahahahaha yeah VAG gauges are solid at 90.
#15
Modern gauges are not live gauges. I think the 306 was one of the last peugeots to have a live gauge. All others just stick at 90 unless something goes really wrong because people who don't understand cars worry when they see the needle move to 91 degrees.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#16
So...I've now got it in the road and had my first proper drive in it tonight to work. Can report the coolant level light came on parked on a downhill but has been off the rest of the time and the temp gauge sat happily just over 70 Smile on the down side, not overly sure the fuel gauge is working :/ put a tenner in and it's barel moved if at all...how many mile should I roughly work on from £10 in a stage 1+ hdi? 60-70?
#17
(12-01-2015, 11:12 PM)Bassman85 Wrote: So...I've now got it in the road and had my first proper drive in it tonight to work. Can report the coolant level light came on parked on a downhill but has been off the rest of the time and the temp gauge sat happily just over 70 Smile on the down side, not overly sure the fuel gauge is working :/ put a tenner in and it's barel moved if at all...how many mile should I roughly work on from £10 in a stage 1+ hdi? 60-70?

Well I put some more fuel in and it would appear that £10 doesn't mive the needle much haha guess I'm used to tiny fuel tanks Wink


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WTF! Coolant Temp Issue Ed Doe 11 7,140 19-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ed Doe

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)