Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
GTi6 head removal
#1
Would I be better to remove the head with the exhaust manifold still on, or try my best to remove the bolts on the rear of the head and leave the manifold intact?
#2
Remove it. It will only foul the back of the block when trying to remove it
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#3
(21-10-2013, 07:54 PM)Grant Wrote: Remove it. It will only foul the back of the block when trying to remove it

Thanks man!

On a side note, I love this forum. So many quick and helpful answers.
By far the best forum I've used, the guys on the dub forums in memory are sarcastic arseholes!
#4
They can be a bitch to remove I know. On option I find to work (and be very careful when doing this!) is to let the engine warm up, get some gloves and long sleeves on and try and do it when hot.

BE CAREFUL though lol

It helps to loosen things up a bit.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#5
defo easier when hot...

BUT word of warning...dont then remove the headbolts/head whilst hot!!!

as that will likely warp the head
Wishes for more power...
#6
I wouldn't worry about heating the engine, this was the one with the snapped inlet cam pulley.

Will I be able to reach all the bolts at the back? I had a feel and it seems like a total pita
#7
Easy job once you get used to undoing 1 of the many bolts at the back of the manifold lol
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#8
(21-10-2013, 09:15 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Easy job once you get used to undoing 1 of the many bolts at the back of the manifold lol

Thats providing that they all come free well enough, and none round off.

Plus when you've undone them all, with a complete engine in the way, its a bitch to remove. Easiest way I found was to drop the engine entirely and do it that way
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#9
(22-10-2013, 06:16 AM)Grant Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 09:15 PM)Rich306 Wrote: Easy job once you get used to undoing 1 of the many bolts at the back of the manifold lol

Thats providing that they all come free well enough, and none round off.

Plus when you've undone them all, with a complete engine in the way, its a bitch to remove. Easiest way I found was to drop the engine entirely and do it that way

I let the manifold just hang there, pushed it to the back of the block and left it.
Dropping the engine may be easier but unnecessary Smile
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#10
Yeah as said unbolt the manifold, it's a complete paint in the arse.
Just leave it where it is though you can get it out without dropping the engine.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
#11
I did try getting the manifold off, but it was so much easier to pull the engine forward and drop it down. Came out a treat Wink


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI6 cylinder head cully 9 5,538 24-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Last Post: thododd
  Gti6 bottom pulley head scratcher Marcdimma 4 3,409 15-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Gti6 head thickness Matt 4 3,609 23-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Matt

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)