Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
things to look for when buying an XUD
#1
So, what are the most important things you look for when buying an XUD 306?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
#2
Regular coolant changes!
#3
(02-07-2013, 02:58 PM)ally406 Wrote: Regular coolant changes!

that be last on my list!

regular OIL changes
front lower wishbones.
gunk in water/oil
whine from turbo
starts well from cold.
rust on inner rear arches and front chassis legs
camber and movement on rear bem
Wishes for more power...
#4
thanks piggy, I meant more engine related rather than general 306 stuff. never had an XUD before
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
#5
serviced reg is a good sign.

Unmolested/tuned is comforting.

Lack of oil leaks is nice too, but rare.

Biggest concerns are how it starts from cold, what colour puffs out the back when it starts and when you put ya foot down!

Ensure it dont pressurize like mad too after only running for a few minutes and theres no oil in the water
Wishes for more power...
#6
If it has a turbo or not
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#7
cheers mate, if you were to see one how would you check how it heats up from cold then maintains its temperature? should it sit at 80?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
#8
Make sure there's not a whole in the side of the engine Big Grin
#9
Bosch pump
#10
(02-07-2013, 04:48 PM)Frosty Wrote: Bosch pump

yeah would be nice mate, but sure not hard to change anyway
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
#11
they should sit at 83 degrees when up to temp under normal conditions Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#12
TBH I've owed/seen a fair few XUD engine and have never seen a BAD one if I'm honest, they are pretty hard engine with no common known faults.
So I'd say just the usual service history ect ect
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
#13
I'm just trying to get an idea of how you guys would look at one if it was you buying and any tips what to look for
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
#14
I've bought a few XUDs, and the only thing I really concern myself with is the head gasket. Turbos can go but their £30 and easy to change, poor starting is usually glow plugs or air leaks which are cheap and easy to sort, and they all leak oil. To be honest, even the head gasket isn't expensive, just a pain in the arse!

Does it pressurize?
Does it hold temperature around 80 degrees?
Do the heaters work?
Mayo in oil?
Oil/exhaust smell in rad?

That's what I'd be concerned with Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
#15
(03-07-2013, 08:56 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I've bought a few XUDs, and the only thing I really concern myself with is the head gasket. Turbos can go but their £30 and easy to change, poor starting is usually glow plugs or air leaks which are cheap and easy to sort, and they all leak oil. To be honest, even the head gasket isn't expensive, just a pain in the arse!

Does it pressurize?
Does it hold temperature around 80 degrees?
Do the heaters work?
Mayo in oil?
Oil/exhaust smell in rad?

That's what I'd be concerned with Wink


this ^^^^^^^ gospel, and also check you can get your fingers behind the back wheel arch and wheel, axle change isn't the worst thing in the world but something to budget in if it is fcuked . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
#16
I have a fcuked beam as we speak... lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
#17
(03-07-2013, 08:56 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I've bought a few XUDs, and the only thing I really concern myself with is the head gasket. Turbos can go but their £30 and easy to change, poor starting is usually glow plugs or air leaks which are cheap and easy to sort, and they all leak oil. To be honest, even the head gasket isn't expensive, just a pain in the arse!

Does it pressurize?
Does it hold temperature around 80 degrees?
Do the heaters work?
Mayo in oil?
Oil/exhaust smell in rad?

That's what I'd be concerned with Wink

Agree 100%, EXACTLY why I said regular coolant changes! Most other things are within economical repair. Assuming the poor thing isn't rotting from the inside out because some idiot has filled it with tap water, not much else will kill them.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)