Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2013
I have a 1999 306 that needs the handbrake adjusted...I took off the center console to find the adjusting nut and for some reason there is none there. The car is a 1.4 meridan. It is supposed to be where the ashtray is. Could it be elsewhere, also the rear brakes are pads and not disc.
Posts: 1,116
Threads: 28
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Lost In Music between London and Kent
Car Model/Spec: Phase 4 Silver HDi Estate
look under the carpet by the handbrake it is under a flap
Posts: 3,688
Threads: 27
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
20
Best off adjusting each cable on the drum! But you can do it behind handbrake! Take the canter console out, little flap under the handbrake, nut under there! Take ashtray out and there is a nut there also, then you'll see adjuster at the back of the lever
Posts: 20,092
Threads: 591
Joined: Nov 2012
Reputation:
54
Location: Cotswolds
Car Model/Spec: Stage 13 16v HDi
yeah first unwind the nut under the centre console...
then properly adjust the shoes at the drums...then take the slack up in the cables with the nut.
Posts: 13,881
Threads: 476
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
81
Location: Ipswich
Car Model/Spec: 306 Rallye
I always just tightended the bolt at the rear of the second lower centre console section.
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2013
12-01-2013, 06:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM by fescis@yahoo.com.)
(12-01-2013, 01:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: (10-01-2013, 09:42 PM)fescis@yahoo.com Wrote: I have a 1999 306 that needs the handbrake adjusted...I took off the center console to find the adjusting nut and for some reason there is none there. The car is a 1.4 meridan. It is supposed to be where the ashtray is. Could it be elsewhere, also the rear brakes are pads and not disc.
Not gonna work particularly well with pads but no disc. I think you mean it's drums and shoes, rather than discs and pads. 
Should be adjusted at each drum before the handbrake lever really as the autoadjusters never work properly. Then as said, under the rear part of the centre section, lift the carpet flap, let the handbrake off and the threaded bar and nut should be easily visible.
LOL yes they are shoes, I noticed my mistake after I hit send. I didn't lift the carpet flap to see if it was there. Thanks mate.
Posts: 7,152
Threads: 130
Joined: Jan 2012
Reputation:
82
Location: Kingston
Car Model/Spec: 106 GO-NAD
It's actually the only way if you have a disc beam piggy. There's no adjustment on the calipers.
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Posts: 20,092
Threads: 591
Joined: Nov 2012
Reputation:
54
Location: Cotswolds
Car Model/Spec: Stage 13 16v HDi
depends whats happening...if its after a pad/and or discs change...I dont adjust the cable or use handbrake for few miles to allow the auto adjusters to click into place as they bed in...
then the cable.
But thats just me.
Just wish the calipers, like a few other manufacturers, had external adjustment screws.
Posts: 1,116
Threads: 28
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Lost In Music between London and Kent
Car Model/Spec: Phase 4 Silver HDi Estate
after you've changed rear discs/pads you have to pump brake pedal before using handbrake or you fubar the mech