Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6
(06-12-2012, 03:07 PM)Niall Wrote: Well this is why I need to get a go pro. 3 times last night I tried getting a 0-60ish video and this is the best I ended up with lol

That attempt is just pure tragedy! Yes you do need my go pro!

(06-12-2012, 03:09 PM)ginge191 Wrote: In fairness Neil, your '6 is slower than a phase 2.5 GTI with my fat ass behind the wheel, so Ed's could just be a little quicker than standard, jus sayin. Popcorn
Ed, it does look pretty quick Smile nice video, smooooooooooth Smile

Flol, you and that friggin popcornface! Cheers, I think it looks pretty quick, that said it looks slower when you just site watching the speedo!

(06-12-2012, 03:56 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Looks good, appears to be about roughly normal for a car weighed down with that many raccoons
I need a gay pro too.

They are epic. You planning on rear mounting yours to avoid any further incidents with bollards when reversing? /troll

(06-12-2012, 06:22 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: Looks pretty rapid to be fair Ed. Maybe because there is actually no R.C filter it's free'd it up abit?

Cheers man Big Grin yeah de-cooning it (am I allowed to say that?!) appears to made a noticeable difference!

(06-12-2012, 06:24 PM)Niall Wrote: [quote='MissTap_GTI6' pid='172246' dateline='1354816180']
Just dont go near any ford focus' or "cyclists"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Didn't know your last name was rowell ed
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 01:28 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Didn't know your last name was rowell ed

this
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 01:28 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Didn't know your last name was rowell ed

mine was for 5 days Tongue
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
looks like it pulls pretty well in the video ED
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate Smile I've had to be really good recently though; no ragging it as I'm trying to save fuel!!

Btw, I LOVE the seats in yours! So much want!!
Thanks given by:
Right small update;

Bought & fitted a set of Cwspellowe Rose-joined droplinks in the pissing rain this afternoon!

Obligatory picture of shinies;

It started as a half-hearted "I'll take the wheels off and prod things with a 17mm" but when I took the passenger wishbone off, I literally just touched it with the 17 and this happened...

So from then on I was fairly committed!! Typically it had been dry until the wishbone broke... Then it literally pissed down! So I spent most of the time lying in a small stream which my carpark had turned into!!

Afterwards I looked like this....

Didn't spend a long time setting them up, but it does feel sharper than it was with the crappy plastic Q-part jobbies.

However, I'm stilll suffering from a couple of issues.

1. I'm CONVINCED it's overfuelling... It stinks pretty bad on start up... I'm hoping Niall will bring his Pug Planet over tmorrow so I can check the lambada (/Dumdum) is working ok.

2. There is a definite issue with the suspension. There is a clonk from the front-end, and i'm having to change my steering angle when accelerating/coming sharply off the throttle. It also feels quite unsettled and 'snappy' over bumps and when modulating the throttle through said corners... I'm fairly convinced it's the wishbones. Which if it is I'm pretty disappointed, as it's the meyle HDs which were only put on the car about 8k ago... not cool!

Anyone got recommendations on wishbones? I'll be trying to grab 5mins to change the wishbones over to Scott's old set, and if the Meyles are at fault I'll be sending them back as they should last a fucksight more than 8k!!

Anyways, that is all! Can't wait till summer, the car looks shit and filthy, and it's rainy and horrible!
Thanks given by:
Think this car has been on pp more times than I are to think
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 10:52 AM)Matt Wrote: Think this car has been on pp more times than I are to think

lol Ed just get a pp dash install so you can have it running constantly.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 12:37 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:
(27-12-2012, 10:52 AM)Matt Wrote: Think this car has been on pp more times than I are to think

Now that's a plan!!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 12:37 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:

This. MIght as well buy mine and my touch screen display off me! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hahaha pp dash in built screen would be epic haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 04:30 PM)Matt Wrote: Hahaha pp dash in built screen would be epic haha

but pretty useless i would of thought. Rarely use it tbh and ed would only ed doe his car whilst looking at his stats all the time!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Would there be any chance your tracking is out? With the throttle steering that is saying tracking to me!! Maybe....
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ed yes Ill bring down that lambda for you if you want.

Personally it sounds like youve just got your car set up to be too twitchy for the road and possibly need new engine mounts. I reckon the clonk is your top mount bearings.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the offer dumdum! It's hut I need to get it on pp first to make sure there's an issue.

And it was never this twitchy. It was awesome, but I think over time the hubs have possibly become ovalled which has introduced some play in the ball joints, caused a hell of a clonk and due to changing the pivotal point on the road about which the car is turning, made it very twitchy

The top mounts do make a bit of noise occasionally but that's when the springs become nearly totally uncompressed. It's not the same noise by a long way!!
Thanks given by:
Twitchy on the back or front?

Easy job to fit the drop links?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Back-end is twitchy, but every time I floor it, I have to correct the steering wheel, and whenever I come off the accelerator sharply, I have to correct in the opposite direction. To me that says something in the front suspension assembly is allowing the struts/hubs to move in the arches, which alters the geometry. It honestly feels almost exactly the same as when a P Bush had died in my old dt. Long corners are scary as fook!!

Yeah the droplinks were easy as to fit. I took a couple of hours, but mostly that was cause It was raining and I was scratching around under the car trying to get them set up right. I gave up after not too long tbh, I got them about right, but will properly set them up come summer!
Thanks given by:
Ed if the lambda is f*cked it might well not show up on PP as if it knew it was over fueling it wouldnt do it.

Are you on solid beam mounts or standard ones cos if your on standard ones itll be the passive RWS turning the rear wheels as you let on/off the throttle meaning that you have to correct it to keep the same line. Consider it to be very mild Lo-OS
Thanks given by:
But Dum, the lamba trims the mixture. It will default to a 'rich' map if the lambda is faulty (ie. no change in voltage across it), which will be a cause of it running rich. Hence I don't want to spend money on a new lambada without checking that is the issue.

The other thing is that overfuelling will destroy a lambda anyway, so I don't want to be chucking a new one on if I haven't checked any other paraeters to make sure nothing else is at fault.

In regard to the rear beam mounts, it would suffer from an incredibly small amount of squat during acceleration, but that won't change the suspension geometry on the straight as both rear beam mounts will be compressed with equal force. Therefore it has to be the front end of the car.
Thanks given by:
What did you/the garage set the tracking at? Standard toe settings or closer to parallel?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
^It's set at 0.5degrees toe in IIRC...
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 12:52 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: In regard to the rear beam mounts, it would suffer from an incredibly small amount of squat during acceleration, but that won't change the suspension geometry on the straight as both rear beam mounts will be compressed with equal force. Therefore it has to be the front end of the car.

Nah not at all mate, remember that your on an un smooth, cambered road in a car with unequal length drive shafts that is substantially heavier on one side. The loads on the rear suspension will be different even going in a straight line and even with a little squat under acceleration you are still altering the rear geometry.

Dont you have solid beam mounts waiting to fit anyway?
Thanks given by:
Dum It happens on the motorway. It happens on all roads. Trust me it's not rear beam mounts.

And nah Im not fitting the solid mounts, as I prefer how they handle with stock mounts.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 12:31 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ed if the lambda is f*cked it might well not show up on PP as if it knew it was over fueling it wouldnt do it.

It will show up. PP shows the voltage output of the lambda so you can very easily see what its doing and how badly its over/underfuelling.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So it was doing this before drop links were fitted too? Just to make sure
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Yeah. I partially bought the drop links to see if it would cure the issue but tbh I knew already the clonk was too loud for drop links...
Thanks given by:
Hmm what shocks have you got on there on the front, nothing loose anywhere?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 10:53 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Hmm what shocks have you got on there on the front, nothing loose anywhere?

Thats a good point. He did have GAZ GHAs but now probably has a rusty bit of metal that flexes all over the place!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Such a Dick Niall Tongue

I have approx. 5k old gaz coilovers with spherical bearing top mounts. The clonk doesn't seem to be coming from the area of the top mounts, I'm pretty certain its coming from the lower suspension area...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,727 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's Diablo HDi Stage 2 168bhp & 290lbsft Just Sean 383 134,688 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Poodle